I Can... lists for literacy workstations

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by AsherDasher, Jul 23, 2011.

1. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

Jul 23, 2011

So I have looked and looked, and browsed some more through past posts on here and while there have been quite a few discussions based on Debbie Diller and her literacy workstations, I have not found anything pertaining to the 'I can..." lists that she incorporates at each station. I have my book on order from her (& have read bits and pieces of it from a colleague already) and while I am waiting... I was wondering if any of you use these lists with your workstations?

They are essentially a list of ideas as to what the students at that stations are able to do while there to keep them productive and to help minimize off task behavior. I am attempting to create mine for various stations that I want to incorporate this Fall but am having a brain freeze when it comes to being creative. If anyone would be willing to share what they have on their "I can..." lists, I will love you forever!! :hugs: Also I would love it even more if they are geared towards upper elementary... but if not, thats totally fine too! TIA!

3. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

Jul 23, 2011

Oops. I forgot to add that while I know that these list should be created with the students, I am just trying to brainstorm ideas ahead of time...;)

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2011

I don't have many stations in my room anymore thanks to the daily 5, but I still have a few.

For my word work station I have a list of activities that I use with my students. We set up the station so each activity is in a different box.

Bowling Pin Spelling (need a partner)
    Magnetic Letters
    Create a song, rap, story using spelling word pattern
    Dial a Word
    Money Words
    Fancy Type Words

There are more but I can't remember.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 24, 2011

Your lists will be different depending on your materials.

6. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

Jul 24, 2011

That was why I thought if I could brainstorm some ideas, then I would have time between now and school starting to gather any needed materials. For example I think it would be neat to do a poetry station and have the magnetic words available so that would be one of the I can's. I just need to get magnetic words :)

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2011

For poetry, you can also have students cut words out of a newspaper or magazine.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 24, 2011

What materials do you have now?

9. nyteacher01

nyteacher01 Companion

Jul 25, 2011

I started working on mine last week and will post them later for u.

10. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 25, 2011

I am just starting the debbie diller books and am feeling way behind! How will I ever get things done in 3 weeks? I haven't even read all of the information!! Stressing..... I want to start making things and getting materials, but I don't have a clue YET what to do! I'll keep reading and hoping others will throw out some advice!