I came up with my questions for my interview to ask... do these sound good?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Peachyness, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

So, these are the questions that I came up with that I will ask on my interview. I wanted to get your opinion on if they sound appropriate. Is it enough? Not enough?
    This is for a part time reading or math clinician position. I couldn't find any info on this position on their website and the job posting had no description.

1) Will I be working in my own classroom with the students or will I work with the students in their classroom?

2) What grades will I be working with?

3) How long will the students be in this program? What assessments will be used to identify the students who will be in the program?

4) What procedure will be used to exit the student?

5) What program will be used for the reading position and the math position?

6) Will the person who is hired for one of these part time positions be able to attend any professional development workshops that may be held during the school year?

Thanks for any input you can give! :)

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

Another one that I thought of

7) Are these permanent positions? (I'm tired of being hired for temp positions).

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 1, 2009

Awesome questions! They show your interest and well, they're ones you really could use answers for!

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow afternoon :).

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

Thank! :) I could use all of the positive thoughts and good vibes. :)

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2009

Great questions. A few of them may be answered during the course of the interview without you having to ask them so it's good you have a number of questions...you may think of more during your interview. Don't be afraid to take some 'think time' on questions- sometimes candidates jump into an answer too quickly, on some quesions it's good to clarify what was asked and then provide a thoughtful answer. Also if they ask a question about how you would teach reading or math, it's good to know already what the school philosophy is- if you don't know, ask if they use a basal program/packaged math program before answering. We've had candidates who didn't know our workshop approach and their answers pointed to a heavy reliance on package programs that we don't use. :( The more information you can have ahead of time, or glean from questions during the interview, the better. Don't save your questions until the end, necessarily, sprinkle them through the conversation to get the information you need so you can craft your answers accordingly.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

Thanks for the advice czacza!!

I used to work for this school district (until I resigned) two years ago. So, I know they are based heavily on textbook program. I just don't know if they plan to use the same textbook program for these particular positions.
    I will also take into advice about taking some think time on the questions. I tend to think first, but I also know if I am nervous, I may just start answer right away. I hope I can remember to slow down, and think first.

Thanks!

8. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

You know...

well, first - good questions.

but, I have only been able to ask two questions in any interview...and usually only one. I think it's a courtesy that the interviewer offers-but doesn't REALLY care to give.

At least that is what it seems like to ME. So if that MIGHT be the case with you. Choose your top two and have the others in your back pocket (not really expecting them to be answered).

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

Hmmm, I see what you're saying McKennaL. I don't want to take up too much of there time asking all of these questions. But, as a candidate, I think it's also important to know what I'm getting myself into.

What I can do is rewrite the questions in order of importance, and then like czacza said, try to ask them in the interview or they may be answered. So, I'll keep all of them on hand, but I may end up only asking like one or two, like you said. Thanks for the heads up!! I appreciate it.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2009

I think my own questions would be a little broader.

What does a reading or math clinician do? Do I see the same kids every day? Do I help them with the work they're doing in class or do I have a distinct curriculum? How closely do I work with the classroom teacher? Do I keep the same kids for the entire year, or are they recommended for the program as difficulties arise? And do they graduate out of the program as the year progresses?

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

Thank you! I didn't even think about my questions being too narrow.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

Is it okay to have the questions on a small notepad and write in the answers as they are either asked during the interview or when I ask them at the end? Or do I need to memorize the questions and answers. Being that I will be truly nervous, I'm afraid that I will forget the questions/answers.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2009

Peach~those are great questions. They are well thought out, shows interest in the position and the district. Good luck tomorrow! I'll be thinking of you,

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

Thanks STG! I"m so nervous. I keep getting these tickly sick feelings in my stomache. I still need to have my husband help me pick out my outfit tomorrow. I've also spent hours and hours reading through the 2008 and 2009 interview thread. Wow, my brain is so tired from mentally going over all of those questions.

15. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2009

I think being prepared with questions is a great idea. I have been on many interview committees and most candidates are not prepared with good questions and there is an awkward pause or they ask dumb questions. Those questions show you are thinking about the position. A principal once told me she wouldn't hire someone who didn't ask good questions because they didn't show they were interest enough or prepared. So...good job and kick butt!

16. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2009

And ask, "When will you be making a decision?" :)

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

Or rather, when do I start? :D

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2009

Good luck today!

19. CLESprtsFan

CLESprtsFan Rookie

Nov 2, 2009

Hope things went well! :)

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2009

Thanks! My interview is in three more hours. So, I've been spending all morning preparing and rehersing. I even watched several youtube videos on good interviewing tips. Because of one video, I reworded my answer to the "tell me about yourself" question. I'm happy with it. Now, I am researching good math strategies to talk about during the interview. Whew! My heart won't stop pounding.

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2009

Here's hoping you blew them away today in the interview!!!!!

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2009

I THINK I did. I don't want to get too excited or hopeful, but they were nodding and smiling and seemed to like my answers. Plus, it helped that I knew them and they knew me. I was VERY nervous and I think I rambled at points. Boy, some of those questions were tough. I was able to ask all of my questions and I think she seemed impressed by the questions (I mainly used Alice's questions, with some of mine sprinkeled in :)) I asked if it was okay to ask some more questions because I don't want to take up too much time and the P said, go right ahead, we're already far behind (they were behind because two fired alarms were pulled earlier during interview).

23. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2009

I'm glad your interview went well, Peachy! Hopefully you hear some good news soon!

24. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Nov 2, 2009

Good luck to you!

25. Simba

Simba Comrade

Nov 3, 2009

Good Luck and keep us posted!!