I bought myself a first-day-of-school gift!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by rachaelski, Aug 8, 2009.

1. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 8, 2009

I don't carry a purse, I don't carry a wallet. I just stick my debit card and ID in my back pocket usually. I am trying to get into carrying a purse...so I am testing the waters.

I bought a "teacher bag" that will hold my wallet, cell phone, laptop, keys, etc. It is so big it probably have room for my papers to grade as well.

Check it out:
    http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...=B000XE7UJW&nodeID=&merchantID=A1VC38T7YXB528

I figure if I do okay with this bag, I will invest in a nicer one later.

What are you getting yourself as a back-to-school gift????

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

Wow! I thought I was the only woman who didn't carry a purse or wallet!

I hadn't considered buying myself anything personal, although I usually do buy at least a new pair of shoes and some new clothes. I have spent a lot on classroom items I wanted - about 8 new cds, a dozen Todd Parr books, two professional books, lots of vistaprint stuff, 36 magazine files...

4. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 8, 2009

I didn't start carrying a purse until after I started teaching. I always just used to put money, debit card and license in my back pocket. But, several of my "teacher pants" didn't have back pockets! Then I'd put that stuff in my coat pocket... and end up forgetting where it was. Soooooo I bought a small, cheap purse and got used to it. Now I have a Vera Bradley hipster that I like. It fits inside my LL bean messenger bag that I use for school. (so I don't have to carry 2 bags)

5. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 8, 2009

Very cute! I had to treat myself to a bunch of new clothes. The job I've had for the last 8 1/2 years allowed me to be as casual as I wanted, so I wore jeans, T-shirts and capris. I went to Ann Taylor loft and got real girl clothes. I told my husband he won't recognize me, although I might be a close resemblence to the person he married 9 yrs. ago. :lol:

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 8, 2009

Nice. I like bags! I just get whatever I feel like if I have some extra money: Few new clothes, maybe new shoes, makeup.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 8, 2009

Great job! That's beautiful.

I'm getting some new clothes as a present to myself. I've been scouring thrift shops and consignment shops.

So far I've found two great tops to layer over the 3 tanks I got from Anthropologie on clearance, 3 pairs of pants on clearance from there, and 3 pairs of pants from a Goodwill. Oh-and 2 shirts from a Goodwill. The last Goodwill I found was EXCELLENT, but I ran out of time, so I'm going back on Monday morning. I'm also bringing a list of dh's sizes to see if I can find him anything. Every single pair of pants/shirt I saw was brand name-J. Crew, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, etc. So I'm refreshing our wardrobe for cheap!!!

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2009

I'm awful about buying bags--awful in that I spend way too much money on them!

The one I'm using for the summer was handmade for me by a lady in Texas. I picked out the material and she made it. It wasn't too expensive, only around $60. But I love it because I choose the material. I've forgotten the site, or I'd show you all. It's some site where people who make things post what they do and customers order things from them.

I've been known to spend more than $200 for a good handmade leather purse.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 9, 2009

Was it Etsy.com?

My friend posts her art on there. It's so beautiful-I love that site!

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2009

Green Day tickets. Concert the night of our first day back.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 9, 2009

Oh! I saw them two nights ago in New Orleans, and the show was wonderful! Though, I had to wonder if some of those in attendance really "got" it. My boyfriend and I spent some time perplexed by the "sheeple" nature of the audience at the concert of a liberal, anti-establishment, atheistic punk rock band! But that would go into politics and not be for this thread!

My gift to myself was going down early for the concert to visit the Saints training camp.

Another gift: a mostly new wardrobe for the school year!

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2009

I've heard their concerts are running pretty long. Did they play their new album all the way through?

13. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 9, 2009

A concert!!! I should have thought of that. Johnmellencamp, Willie Nelson, and Bob Dylan are playing here tonight...it would have been perfect. I wish I would have bought tickets. :mad:

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2009