I am the teacher who...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 13, 2007

I am known as the teacher who blasts students out of their shells. I see this as a great thing (for their confidence), but also frightening to an extent because some kids who were really shy in the past get way too excited for the fact they're coming out of their shells.

Has anyone else here really helped students to become more outgoing? Honestly, I have no idea how I have done it.

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 13, 2007

I just try to quietly notice them, talk to them, encourage them. Not sure what else to do.

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Oct 14, 2007

i was a very shy child. As a shy person myself I understand how hard it is to come out of your shell. I feel this gives me an advantage. The worst thing you can do for a shy child is put them next to someone really outgoing. Or get in thier face and demand that they be more outgoing. I was actually punished because of my shyness...don't ever do that. It will drive the shy child to be even more introverted. The best thing you can do is start small, make a little small talk at a time. Before you know it they will be chatty kathy too.

5. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Oct 14, 2007

I think finding the thing that they are good at or that is a talent or something that really interests them and then tell them you noticed that they are super good at whatever it is. It makes kids feel like they are important and special and that you like them and notice them. I remember when a principal subbed in my 4th grade class and she had been reading our book reports. She singled out mine and read it in front of the class. I was super shy, but after that experience of being proud of myself and having her tell me privately that I was a great writer, I started to see myself as capable and I felt differently about my ability in school. Sometimes shyness is just simple insecurity in ability and in fitting in. Help your kids fit in by making their accomplishments shine to the other class members:hugs:

6. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Oct 14, 2007

I think shyness should be accepted and not seen as a totally bad thing. Some kids (and adults) are just introverts and that's their character. People can still do well and make themselves known without being the centre of attention. Work on their confidence, but also let them know that quiet confidence is totally okay. I have always been way more comfortable in my shell than out and to an extent, I will always be that way. As a result, I think I can identify more with the quiet, reserved kids.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 14, 2007

Oh no, I don't view it as a bad thing... I just said somehow it happens when these students are in my classroom. I said I have no idea "how I've done it", not "how to do it". I guess I've just helped people in different ways because I talk with them often, focus on their strengths, and find people in the class who share their common interests so they have someone to communicate with.

p.s. I was an IMMENSELY shy child. This is probably a lot of it.

8. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Oct 14, 2007

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound judgemental. I think it's awesome that you were able to do it, especially without much effort! Many times I've wished to become comfortable out of my shell, but as I get older, I've just learned to love who I am. I can sort of identify because I thought both my kids would be so shy because my husband and myself are very quiet, but they happen to be the two most self-confident kids you could imagine. Somehow, I've managed to raise them to have the confidence I never had.

9. D.E.

D.E. Rookie

Oct 15, 2007

I Totally!!!!! agree with you Canadian Teacher

10. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Oct 15, 2007

Have they come out of their shell, or have you given them a feeling of safety and comfort in your classroom that gives them the opportunity to express themselves without fear or judgement? Either way - the students sound like they are doing great!