I am the runner-up again

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rainbowbird, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 22, 2013

Didn't get it. Same story: I am the runner up, great interview, we loved you, we wish we had another position, please apply again if you don't find anything. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. They hired someone with an early childhood background. He said he believed I would have been fine in preK but they had to go with someone with the early childhood experience. Fair enough.

But he was very nice. He told me they want me at their school but see me as the perfect grade 1--4 teacher. He is expecting to have two retirements next year, but that is a long way off.

I will have an interview in another district for 1st grade the week of August 5th. I have one other application pending for K.

Having taught 2,3, and 4, those grades are my best bets, although I was excited to try PreK. There just haven't been any openings within commuting distance in the grades which I've taught.

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 22, 2013

I'm sorry! I hope the perfect position is opening for you as we speak :hugs:

4. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

Hate that for you. I know this is all to prepare you for the ultimate, perfect position which is in the works for you.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

:hugs:

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

Oh I am sorry! At least you have some other interviews so there is still hope yet.

7. mrs-j

mrs-j Rookie

Jul 22, 2013

I'm so sorry. The same thing happened to me. Sending prayers your way!

8. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jul 22, 2013

It's so frustrating that every school seems to make us feel we are not qualified enough! I have been following your posts for a few weeks now and I just want to hug you! :hugs: at least you interview well! I am doing horrible in interviews for some reason... I feel unprepared and never feel like I say the right thing! The past Monday's interview was in and out in 20 minutes and one of the interviewers was yawning!! I am just so physically and mentally done... :blush:

9. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jul 22, 2013

Awww! Well, I know you're probably sick of hearing this but....this just means something better is coming for you...Trust me, I've been there and never believed it at first because I always thought the job that I was rejected for was the perfect job. Although I got rejected at least 6 times...I believe the job I have now will be better than all of the ones that rejected me.

The wait may be longer than what we'd like it to be, but believe that it will come!!!:hugs:

10. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

Perhaps God's closing the window to a not-so-great view, so that He can open up a door to an amazing view. :)

I'll keep praying that something opens up for you, RB!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2013

So sorry, Rainbowbird.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 23, 2013

I'm so sorry. I was crossing my fingers for you. That window will open soon.

13. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2013

I'm sorry Rainbowbird... Hopefully something much awesome will be there for your pickings!!

I'm glad for this message board as we're able to share our highs and lows and be comforting to others and supportive, too!

:hugs:

14. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 23, 2013

Ugh! I 'm so sorry!! I've been the runner up all summer long and it just stinks. I've begun to question my abilities it has rattled my confidence so badly. I hope something opens up for you very soon!

15. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2013

Thanks so much, everyone. I feel so very much better after a good night's sleep. I know runner up is not great, but I knew going in it would be a hard sell for me to get a preK job because I don't have an early childhood background, although I am certified. By that I mean that in 23 years since college, I've never taught anything lower than second.

But I'm not giving up! I am going to keep applying for the preK and K jobs because I really think I'd be good at it and would enjoy it. I found out how much I loved little ones once I became a mom. I have good volunteer experience with them, too.

However, I do realize that I need to consider other types of positions for which I'm better qualified. I had hoped to work part-time this year, but those jobs are so rare that it may be full-time if I am lucky enough to get something.

I hope that all of us looking have some good news to report soon!

16. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2013

That doesn't mean you were bad. They could have been just tired, hot, or annoyed that they had to work on a summer day!

I didn't feel that this was my best interview, personally, although the p assured me I had done well. Ironically my best interviews are the ones I don't prepare for that much. If I just relax I do so much better.

Hang in there. Most everyone is nervous during an interview and the interviewers realize that. :hugs:

17. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jul 23, 2013

I'm there too. Good luck to us all.

18. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jul 23, 2013

I'm sorry that you didn't get it. Most new teachers with Early Childhood certs aren't even called to interview for anything above pre-k, at least in my experience. So consider that the other candidate might not have had any other interviews. Ultimately though, I know it doesn't matter who your competition is: you're just ready to shine in your own classroom. Good luck!

19. twilight11105

twilight11105 Rookie

Jul 23, 2013

I'm sorry to hear that :(. :hugs: & positive thoughts your way

20. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

Jul 23, 2013

I am devastated for you! I was really hoping to hear good news from you this week. I'm so sorry! I will keep you in my prayers!