I Am Stressed Out

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Oct 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

I teach Preschool in the morning to 9 4 and 5 year olds. A few of the children leave at 11:00 to go to the Public schools program. They return at 2:30 to have snack and play with us until they go home. I am there until 4:30.
    My STRESS problems are occurring between 2:30 and 4:30. I have 13 children, half of whom are over tired from being in 2 programs and not having a nap. They don't play well and are very noisy. Does anyone know what I can do? I have had a long day by that time myself and frankly, I don't feel like sitting down and interacting with games, etc. I want them to stay busy and pretty much entertain themselves without so much commotion. I have even put in for some days off because it is really getting to me.

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

Is that why you're home right now Grammy? I don't blame you for feeling that way. I often took 'mental resoration days' when I was in a classroom and do now even though I'm at home...can't wait til Christmas Vacation:)!!! I think every preschool teacher, and teacher in general needs mental days to just relax and get away from the busy classroom. The job is not just physically, but mentally draining. I have been feeling that way for a couple months now...I'm just burnt out.

Maybe try bringing in some activities that you can set out and they can do independantly. Put out 3-4 different choices that they can do...use trays or something and set them up around the room. Think of them a little like learning centers, but make sure they are independant centers that only need explaining and not necessarily help from you. Are they bored with the toys? I know my kids get bored easily so I have to rotate toys in my home so they think they are getting new toys every so often. Don't know if I helped, but I understand and feel your stress too.

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

Yes, that is why I am home today and I am loving it. Time for myself, which involved cleaning out a closet and doing a little redecorating here and there, and of course giving the kitties kisses and pats on the head as I walk by them! The wind is blowing out here and it is beautiful...maybe a little on the humid side, but that's ok.
    I think I will try the "tray" ideas. I am just grabbing at straws so that I can maintain! Thanks for your help, JenPooh.

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

I forgot to mention that I do some toy rotating once a week. I have found that these kids don't play with the dishes and food in the kitchen area. They are more interested in dress up and acting just plain silly...ALL THE TIME, so that in itself is tiring for me to listen to and I have started to keep that area closed. So, basically, it is an area not used. What a waste of space. I wish that I could come up with something that they would play nicely in there. They never ever play with the dolls either. What is wrong with these kids? I am finding that more every year, kids don't play "house." Oh my gosh, I just realized what the reason might be! Families are so different now days that maybe they don't know HOW to play HOUSE!!!! That really makes me sad to think about. What do you think is the reason they don't play house? It just bugs me!

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

That is sad. My kids tend to play house sometimes, but usually I have to cut it early because one of my little girls gets too bossy and the kids get angry at her. She means well, but she physically tries to pick everyone up and pull at them like they are her babies, then they don't want to play anymore. Maybe the kids you have need to be shown how to play house. Maybe give them each a role. Ohhh I got it, maybe put a bucket in the house area that is filled with pictures and the names of the roles (mom, dad, etc.). Go through them so they know which is which and tell them if they'd like to play house, then they can pick roles. Maybe it will get them interested? I also give my kids puzzle and book time a couple times a day. It really helps them to sit and concentrate and it keeps the house quite. Maybe they need a puzzle and book time for 15 minutes or so? Even if my kids pair up they I put a two person limit on it and keeps the noise level down.

I know what you mean about acting just silly. I tell my kids craziness is for outside, if they don't have 'something to do', then I count to 5 and they better have something to sit down to keep them busy with or they get stuck with MY choice for them...which usually isn't something fun. I get easily annoyed with just kids running around with nothing to do. I don't know why, maybe it's the noise level it brings. I am constantly telling them to settle down and save your crazies for outside time. Must be something in Wisconsin's water;).

Oh, it's also nice here too. I little humid, but the cooler breeze is so nice!!! We were outside for almost an hour today it was so nice. Oh, one more thing, do you think maybe they could use another outside time in the afternoon? I know I've had to do that many times...they just have so much energy at the end of the day.

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 3, 2005

What about books on tape? Circlel games that are on tape? Things were you don't take the lead, but just go along. What about when they all get there everybody gets a bottle of water and some animal cookies 3 or 4 and they watch an educational video. Nursery Rhymes, What makes a Train Go? Animal videos. Than color a picture of Little Bo Peep or whatever. Color a picture of a train. You are so good and have so many great ideas ---you probably have already thought of these things.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

I want a VCR, but our director has some strange idea that when the parents come to pick up their kids and see them watching a video , they think that is all we do all day long. I have told her that the parents are the ones who have been trying to give me a VCR and they don't care at all.
    So, I don't have a VCR because of that! Some people just get these mental blocks and you can't change their way of thinking. So that leaves out the video idea.
    They go outside just before I leave for the day, but in the winter that is not an option because of the snow and wet.
    I am leaning more and more toward the 2 person limit in the areas. I 've had 3 in the kitchen area and that doesn't work at all, so last Friday I put it to a limit of 2. The kids and I talked about it and they said that was ok! They are so agreeable! Except with each other...they are naughty and wild with each other and now my little girls are starting to get the "snotty" attitude. There are 4 of them and you know how little girls can be! Anyway, I think I will try making most areas a limit of 2...it's just a matter of finding the time to do all of those changes and then it takes a bit to get used to. Thanks for your help...I need all the help I can get right now!

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

Grammy, I feel for you. By 2:30, I am ready to send my beaners home! I couldn't imagine going til 4 or 4"30. You have every right to be exhausted and frustrated!!! When I worked at a center years ago, I know the kids had a VCR, and did watch movies a bit. I limit my centers to three kids this year because of the exact same reasons you mentioned. Kids have less imaginative skills today then in the past.......sad but reality. Could you threaten those naughty ones that if they can't play appropriately, they will have to lay down for thirty minutes. Maybe that is what they need, a quiet look at books only time for half an hour. Is that possible? That is a long day for you AND those kids. If they aren't getting any rest time I think that is way too much for little growing bodies! I have arrival activities my kids do every morning for approx. fifteen minutes so I can do folders, attendance, etc. They choose quiet activities: puzzles, books, drawing or legos......could you expand this to thirty minutes....quiet time only activities with limits at each area. Keep those other kids away from eachother as well. They can't be in the same area at the same time until they EARN it! Maybe these won't help at all, but I feel for you. If I can think of anything else, I'll post.

10. MR ARMS PKTEACH

MR ARMS PKTEACH Rookie

Oct 3, 2005

I was wondering how many Pre-K/K teachers show videos, I know this is not about the topic at hand but I remember during student teaching the Pre-K teacher showed an educational video every day during snack time. I refuse to show videos because the 5K teacher I worked with last year never showed them and I just got hooked on that idea. Another reason is I have a family who told me their child is not allowed to take part in videos.

11. MamaJ

MamaJ Rookie

Oct 3, 2005

I am thinking along the same lines as others - maybe they need a little rest time when they come to you or quiet time activities for a while. Do they get a snack at this time of day? I know my kids always seem to be a little more alert without being wild after they've had a little something to eat. Maybe combining the snack with the books on tape and they can have a quiet time that way (since it seems like a movie is out of the question -don't you hate it when people get on a mind set and aren't flexible). I'm sorry - that seems like such a long day...you know you said that maybe the kids don't know how to play in housekeepiing, maybe they need stories read to them about families and babies, etc. I'm sure you already do this...we've read a few good books about babies and older siblings, one is Oonga Boonga, Peter's Chair, Noisy Nora and now my students are including those stories into the housekeeping area. I don't know if I've helped - just thinking outloud...good luck!

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

I think the parents would have a fit if I rested their kids that late in the day. Interestingly enough, I am finding that the kids who come back from the Montessori School are the ones having the most problems. They are not allowed to PLAY there, only do their learning activities. They have no "toys" so when they see my truck area with little cars, cows and barns , and boats and ships, they totally go biserk! These kids have been held tight like springs and then I get them back and they are ready to PLAY...only they don't have self control after a very structured afternoon and hardly any outside time over there. I think Montessori is a find program, but this is what happens when they switch gears in the middle of the day.
    Anyway, I am going to close all areas for the afternoons and they can color or do puzzles . If they don't like it, THEN I may have to lay them down whether their parents like it or not. There is no way that I am going to stand out on the playground from 2:30 to 4:30 with them either! You have been very helpful Kinderkids! It really helps to throw the ideas around and see what others are doing.

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

Mr. Arms,
    I rarely do videos. Of the ones I do show, they are either to go with a theme we are studying, or to follow up with our author study for the month. I generally limit it to four a year, at the most. It is used as an extension of what I'm teaching, so I really have no problem with it.

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

I hope you can find something that fits well with you and the little ones. There is nothing worse then having to deal with stress like that during your day........it takes away from all the fun you want to have. I'll keep trying to think of some ideas for you. :)

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

Thank you MamaJ...ya know, I am thinking it is their age because after I thought about it, they did play house last year in the class before mine. Perhaps they are tired of it? I just don't know! They do get their snack . We all sit down and have a snack and milk. It's after that when the wildness begins.

16. MamaJ

MamaJ Rookie

Oct 3, 2005

I never show videos either - we're a 1/2 day program and honestly it is a struggle to get through all my lessons I've planned (we just run out of time), let alone sit and watch a video. But if I had a full day program, I would see nothing wrong with showing the occasional educational video or special holiday video.

17. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2005

I know that my own kids are not allowed to watch any TV or videos at home, and I'd be very unhappy if they were watching TV or videos at school. We don't even have a TV in the living area of our home - just in the master bedroom for AM news and special events for the kids (like the American Girl movie coming out in November).

As to the housekeeping quandry...have you tried changing that center to something else? Perhaps some other sort of pretend play would draw their interest and then when you changed it back to a house, they'd be hooked already. On my program, each center has to change monthly...and when they say that, they don't mean rotating toys...the centers must really change. My housekeeping area starts out as a house, in October, I add Halloween costumes, trick or treat pumpkins and "treats." Then, we make it into a birthday party, a holiday center with a tree, a menorah, stockings gifts, etc, an igloo with winter clothes, an airplane, a veternarian's office, a bakery, a post office, and, finally, back into a house at the end of the year. Each change really sparks interest in the center again.

It's fun to change the centers around, but it's a ton of work and requires a ton of materials.
    Kim

18. MR ARMS PKTEACH

MR ARMS PKTEACH Rookie

Oct 3, 2005

Grammy -
    I know what you are saying about montessori hahahaha. Now at our school the children are free to select any activities they want, but we do not have cars and toys and such. We have different learning materials. In the afternoon I teach a regular preschool class and I have all the "toys." The kids seem to go wild also, making lots of noise with the activities but it is more of dramatic play such as using the truck to pretend they are collecting the recyclable materials and they just get a little out of hand with the noise.

I feel bad for you because you are getting montessori kids who have had to do real life work, such as pouring water from pitchers, using dressing frames. They have not been able to play all morning.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

That's the problem...a ton of work and a materials. I have neither and have seen what happens when teachers go through all that work. The kids will generally play in the area for about 3 days and then it's all over.

20. MR ARMS PKTEACH

MR ARMS PKTEACH Rookie

Oct 3, 2005

I have never had a housekeeping corner. I have the Office Corner - typewriter, old accounting ledgers, checks from high school accounting program, calculator with tape, pencils, pens, ruler

The kids never get bored with the typewriter that actually works and most are figuring out how to type their name and the calculator that prints the numbers as you type them.

21. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

I like the office idea. I used to have an electric typewriter but of course they broke that.

22. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

I help my kids try to come up with ways to use the center. I don't change it out every month (maybe I"m too lazy :eek: ), but I feel they need to use their imaginations and try new things with what they have. Kim that is a great idea,, but I too don't have the resources or time to do that every month. My kids never seem to get bored there. I will add things once in a while like Mr Arms mentioned, and that seems to be just enough. As far as the movie thing, I still don't think it is a bad thing to do, if it is an expansion to what they are learning, or as a special treat they earned. Even in my daughters AP English class, and her College English class last year, they watched movies!

23. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2005

Oh, the office corner sounds fun!

When our program changed to stipulate the monthly overhaul of all centers, I was resistant because of the amount of work involved, but now that we've done it, I wouldn't go back. Most of the work is over after the first year of collection of materials, and we're now in year three. I really think that the quality of play I get from the kids is much better - they're using the vocabulary with each other that we introduce as part of the unit (since all centers reflect the current unit) and I can easily see how well they understand the material I've presented.

So far, in my experience, the kids use it for well more than 3 days. But, by the end of each month, they are more than ready for a change in centers...and so am I.

Other than the collection of materials (which I had to purchase myself), the main challenge for me was to invent centers that matched each unit. For example, we're now studying "Families." It's pretty tricky to match the sand table to "Families," or the block area. Oh, and our units are about 4 weeks long each, so it easily matches the center switching time frame we've been prescribed.
    Kim

24. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 3, 2005

Another fun thing is Play dough. Sometimes you can get an old typewriter for a dollar or two at thrift shops or Salvation Army stores.
    ----Another idea....DISCOVERY BOTTLE CENTER
    Discovery bottles encourage the development of observation skills, predictability, scientific concepts, and thinking skills. Seal the lids on with glue gun or electrical tape.
    1. Wave Bottle Fill half of the bottle with cooking oil, add water to fill the bottle ¾ of the way. Add blue food coloring, and seal the lid with glue As you turn the bottle on its side, the waves roll gently.
    2. Desert Bottle Add small plastic desert animals such as lizards, snakes, etc. to an empty bottle. Fill 2/3 of bottle with sand. As students turn and shake the bottle, they can see animals that live on the desert. This is a great activity for visual discrimination
    3. Magnetic Bottle #1 Fill a bottle with small items that can be picked up with a magnet, and objects that cannot be picked up by magnet. Seal the bottle Attach a magnet to the top of the bottle by tying one end of cord around the neck of the bottle and the end to a magnet. Students discovery which items are attracted to the magnetic and which are not.
    4. Swirling Colors: Spray foam shaving cream into a bottle. Add warm water to fill the bottle. Shake, and watch the foam dissolve. Add more water if needed, till all the foam is dissolved. Add food coloring (one color per bottle). When finished, attach the lids and prepare to be mesmerized as the colors and the white swirl together.
    5. Treasurer Hunt Jar: 1 clean peanut butter jar, with lid. Finch bird seed. Fill the jar half full bird seed. Add whatever small items you can find, jungle bell, bead, paper clip, button, penny, marble, (put 20 items in the jar) tape the following poem to the bottle. TREASURE HUNT BOTTLE. Some pirates got it all mixed up, and did things wrong way round. They put the treasure in a bottle, and buried the map in the ground! Their treasure was some silly stuff, like a button, penny, bead and more. That dear old Polly Parrot added all her extra seeds! So find the twenty items here, no two are quite the same. Don’t open up the bottle though, as that would break the game.
    6. Magnetic Bottle #2. Add magnetic objects to a bottle, and fill the bottle with salt. Attach a magnetic wand to the outside of the bottle. Students run the magnetic along the side of the bottle, and are surprised to find what is hiding under the salt.
    7. Dice Bottle Drop dice into the bottle. Do not fill the bottle with water. Students shake the bottle, and choose from any of these activities name the number on the dice, count out that many objects, name the number that comes before or after, write the number, predict what number will be next. Write multiplication facts and solve the problem.
    8. Density Bottle #1 Fill an empty bottle with hair gel (lots of colors are available) Add a marble. Students discover the properties of density as they turn the bottle.
    9. Density Bottle #2 Fill an empty bottle with shampoo. Add a marble.
    10. Dirt Bottle Add dirt to a bottle, and fill half of the bottle with water. See what happens when you shake the bottle!
    11. Glitter Bottle. Be sure and try this one. Fill a bottle half full with colored glitter, add water to the top of the bottle. Shake and see what happens, (very neat after the water has settled)
    12. Relaxation Bottle. Add a small package of colored or holiday confetti to the bottom of the bottle. Fill the bottle with Karo Syrup. It is a very relaxing experience to watch the glitter float and glitter as you gently turn the bottle.
    13. Potpourri Bottle. Cut a small hole into the side of the bottle; attach netting with clear plastic tape, over the hole. Fill the bottle with potpourri in flavors such as orange, vanilla, pine, gingerbread, roses, and etc. Students describe the scent, or what the scent reminds them of.
    14. Bubble Bottle: Add 1 cup of water, a squirt of dish detergent, and 2 drops of food coloring to the bottle. Shake to make bubbles.
    15. Glow in the Dark Bottle Add small glow in the dark items such as stars to a bottle. Do not add any water. Put the bottle under a box and look through a small hole.
    16. Float or Sink Bottle Place a variety of objects in a bottle, some that will float, and some that will not. Fill the bottle with water. As students shake the bottle, they can observe what items float, and what items sink.
    17. Estimation Bottle Fill the bottle with a variety of small objects such as beans, nuts, rocks, and etc. Students record their guestimations in their science folder.. At the end of the week, open the bottle and count! Discuss the predications. Send the bottle home with the winner, and have them empty the bottle, and fill with objects for next week’s bottle.
    18. Serration Bottles: Take four or five bottles and add different amounts of rice, (You can dye the rice beforehand using 1 part rubbing alcohol to 1 part food coloring) in each one, from empty to full. Mix the bottles up, then let the children seriate them from empty to full.
    19. Rain Bottle: Fill a dry empty bottle with a box of toothpicks. Add rice (uncooked) to the bottle leaving an empty space of about 1 ½ inches at the top. Seal the lid. As you gently turn the bottle, the rice falls through the toothpicks, sounding like rain.
    20. Classification Bottles: In empty bottles add objects that belong together in a group. For example: toy animals in one, miniature plastic food in another Students have to classify the bottles by their characteristics.

25. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

My kids have also had tons of fun with just an old keyboard from a computer. I have several of those. Also, they love an old adding machine that I have used in a center as well. Just thought of those.

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

So doyou think I should keep the dramatic play area? or should I make it into something else? I have a very large room and my areas can be large. I have the truck/block and I allow 5 kids in there, the library and the manipulative are side by side and there is room for any number of children in those areas and they behave the best in those, dramatic play area, and the art tables.So, if I didn't have a dramatic play area, what would I put there ??? Any ideas?!

27. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

My kids would kill me if I got rid of dramatic play!!!! I think it is most of their favorite area to be.

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

Well that just makes me mad!!! How many do you allow in there? Did you say 3? When my kids play in there(especially the boys) they put on the dresses and act like goons and then they roll around on the floor and act stupid(OH NO I SAID STUPID!!!!!!)

29. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

I allow three. But I hand pick who will be with who each week. I try to put my good role models with the "goons" They know I won't stand for that......I tell them if they aren't there to play appropriately, then they will not play at all. (Did something I say make you mad?!?)

30. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

You hand pick them "weekly?" Don't you mean daily? My problem is mostly the boys. None of them play nice in there and the girls are more interested in art activities. No you didn't 'REALLY' make me mad...I was just kidding that I was mad because your kids LIKE the kitchen area!

31. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

Oh, I see, :) (glad it wasn't something I said) I actually mean weekly, we rotate centers daily, and I keep the same group with eachother all week. They must work at the center they are assigned to for the day. I have some that would choose to do the art stuff all the time, or the blocks, etc. This way they are "forced" for lack of a better word to participate in other areas. Friday is usually a free choice/catch up day in our centers. If they have played well at their assigned center and finished any "work" they may have needed to do, then they may choose to go to an area. But I still limit my numbers to three a center. This works well because they know that they need to behave at whatever center they are at for the day, or they lose out on Fridays!

32. jcg

jcg Cohort

Oct 3, 2005

It sounds to me, from your posts that the dress up clothes are the problem. Get rid of them! Turn dramatic play into an office, a doctor's office, a school, an airplane, a post office, a flower shop, a jewelry store, a grocery store, a pet store, a bakery, a bus, a McDonald's or Burger King, a Pizza restaurant, a regular restaurant. I think kids nowadays need to be taught how to pretend and to use their imaginations. I let three play there to start with and then my aide or I would join them for a few days and model appropriate play. Then we would leave and allow four kids to play and remove those who were inappropriate. :(

33. MR ARMS PKTEACH

MR ARMS PKTEACH Rookie

Oct 3, 2005

Grammy -

I laughed A LOT when you said the boys put on dresses and act like goons. That reminds me of a boy in the AM class, today we had the fire department come to show us the trucks and let us use the hose and each kid got a turn to go inside the cab and blow the horn and use the sirens. Well this one little boy who I knew would act foolish got in and would NOT stop blowing the horn, so finally I jumped in the truck and had to take his hand off because he could not hear me.

34. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 3, 2005

Whisper Phones..... This idea came from a reading work shop, but would work for telephones... Take two curved pieces of white plastic PC pipe from Home Depot or hardware store and short as possible straight piece and glue them together ---it looks like a telephone receiver when put together. Students whisper in one end and can hear what they say at the end at their ear. I have not used them. But some of the teachers at our school uses them. I wonder about germs. They let student use them and then take them home and wash them in the dishwasher.
    ----a fishing pond. Make fish put a paper clip for their mouth. And the fishing pole is a dowel stick, with a short string and a magnet glued on the end of the string.
    ----- cute BB idea students make lots of red fish and teacher make a black fish and make a big fish, after reading Swimmy....
    I love the office center idea.... I'm going to share it tomorrow at school...

35. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2005

hescollin...lots of cute ideas:)!

As far as tv is concerned. I have to run the whole daycare and teach by myself...ALL DAY...55 hours a week...no break...and be stuck in my home the entire time. SO, my kids are allowed to watch tv (something educational...Sesame Street, Blues Clues, Dora) while I make lunch and sometimes when they wake up after nap for about 20 minutes. My kids are not harmed by it and they are the smartest group of 3 year olds that I have ever had in my 6 years of teaching pre-K. As long as it's not overused and you allow the kids to play if they choose to instead of watching to video/tv show, then it's not harmful to their learning environment. Who on this forum didn't watch tv when they were kids? I'm sure we all turned out fine. Moderation is the key...as with everything.

36. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2005

I didn't watch TV as a child. My parents were (are) hippies and we didn't own a set until I was in high school. I don't think anyone NEEDS TV, and I also don't think anyone NEEDS to ban it. But for my own kids, I don't want them to watch it as a habit. It's a special treat. Do I think it harms kids, in general?? It's all in how it's used...as you said.
    Kim

37. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2005

I agree. Some parent don't monitor enough of what kids watch. Even some Disney movies are not geared for children of a certain age anymore. It's amazing what some children are allowed to watch these days...Power Rangers (ugh) for one. I can't stand Power Rangers. My hubby flipped out over me telling him that our son couldn't watch Spiderman the other day. I don't think he should be able to at 3 years old. He's just not at that age of being able to know it's not real, plus they have weapons in the cartoon! He said "you let himm watch too much fluff"-AH! Of course, that's what 3 year olds are suppose to be exposed to...fluff and friendly creatures, not killing action hereos!

38. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 4, 2005

I rarely show vidoes and we just don't have time. We we do it is about our theme and I like to use the Magic School Bus videos!
    Kinderkids I do the same thing I put 3 kids in a group and that is their group for the week. I change the groups every week. I tell the kids what center they do and we do rotate centers. Friday is free centers!

39. focus it

focus it Rookie

Oct 4, 2005

I love the discovery bottles ideas. Just be sure the tops stay on! I'm ready to create one in my empty water table. Especially the cool calming bottles. I know one kid who will love the slow motion of the Kyro syrup and one who will love the bubble action.
    I know that theres a lot of changing that can can be done to keep independent interest going.

40. koolteacher78

koolteacher78 New Member

Oct 4, 2005

Stressed Out Too!!!!

I know what you mean grammy!! I recently took on a preschool class...first class I ever had...my students are driving me crazy!!! I'm not sure what to do to get them to listen. I use a stoplight in my room. They get two chances on the third chance, they move to yellow and lose 10 min of free time...if they move to red...depending on what they did they lose 15 or the whole time. They just won't listen and follow directions!! I am going insane!! How do I prepare them for grade K if they won't sit or follow directions? :confused:

41. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2005

AMK,
    We are always doing the same types of things!! We must be very similiar teachers! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.