I am soOOOOOOOO freaking out right now!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Mldouglas, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Mar 22, 2008

I am so freaking out right now. I mailed a huge check to pay a bill and for the life of me I think that I might have forgotten to make it out to the business. Now I am worried that a dishonest employee is going to put their name on the check and cash it. I may be overreacting but I am just really worried.

Thanks for letting me vent!!

Mldouglas

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2008

OY! I would stress major too. I HATE doing things like that. I'm assuming that you don't have the checks that make the carbon copies, right? With my bank checks, we don't get the cancelled checks back, so we have carbon copy paper with each check that we write that we keep in our check book. If you had that, then you could look back to see if you wrote the business' name on it. If not, then I would maybe consider canceling the check and writing a new one??

4. sadundercover

sadundercover Companion

Mar 22, 2008

I would stop payment on it. If someone gets hold of that, before it even gets there, it could be very bad. Of course I am very sensitive to this as I was just a victim of fraud by debit-credit card. But, still, it will be peace of mind for you.

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2008

Call both the bamk and the business.
    The bank can watch that it is only cashed to who you intend.
    The business (or whatever) can hold it for you.

It happens more often than you think...

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 22, 2008

I would put a stop payment on it and mail another check. Also, call the company to let them know now and take down the person's name that you talk to in case anything comes of it.

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 24, 2008

What happened?? Did everything work out okay??

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2008

ditto on the stop payment...and btw...you have to do that again in six months! Until you get that check back in your hands, you may have to do it every six months! the bank will not tell you this!

I had a bounced check sitting in a school office, and after 2 years, they decided to run it through again! and yep, it bounced again! bank charged me fees, and I thought it was taken care of since I sent in a money order, but I didn't realize the school never returned my check!

9. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 27, 2008

Checks are not valid after 6 months and the bank should have never attempted to cash an old check.

10. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 27, 2008

I had a similiar experience a few years ago & was told by my bank that it is possible for a check to be cashed after 6 months. They state this to cover their a$# in case of an oversight by some teller.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2008

I used to think if it was missing any important data or had some weird date, they wouldn't fly either. not true! and... if you write 100 in the box, but write out One dollar and no/100...the bank can still cash it for $100.00! it is the box that they go by! Doesn't matter if you skipped the decimal, or if it was too light for them to pick up!

since check21 came about, more companies are using automated clearing house ACH payments, and you don't even get check back! comes up as AUTOMATED payment. and what is really scarry is they have you routing number and account number, they can zap your account anytime.

I personally can't stand automated payments. I purposely pay the extra $2-6 just to send in monthly payments myself.

banks are really getting ridiculous!

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2008

so don't believe anyone or sneaky company who says they will take post dated check, and not cash it. Banks do not care. If you present it, they will cash it!

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 28, 2008

post dated checks are illegal in most (if not all) places. What if you die before that takes place.

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2008

That's what I want to do when I am about to go I want to pay all my bills (postdated) and inform my son to clean out my account so I can have the "last laugh" on all the bill collectors that have ever called me at 8:00 AM or after 9:00 PM

:toofunny: :rofl: :toofunny: :rofl: :toofunny:
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:​

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2008

they will leave you a voice mail Dave..

This is Lori Brown, Please return this call, regarding a personal matter. Please use reference # UR-NDEEP.

This is an attempt to collect a debt. Anything may be used against you for this purpose.

You have an important message from...1-800-555-1212.

After 6-8 years, it will drop off your credit anyways!

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2008

I am still getting calls for my sister and she died 4 years ago!
    I always say "My sister is dead you cruel people why do you keep reminding me of her death!" they hang up at that point.....

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2008

That is sooo sad Dave..

Credit card co. wants to sue my Mom! how can I defend my parents who are in a nursing home!? they have no income! what are they gonna do? take the social security money and put them out in the street? what is my first move guys??

18. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 30, 2008

They're changing their tactic some what. Now, the message they leave says something like this, "This is special investigator Shmoo. I am calling regarding a suit filed in your district county against you. Please call, blah blah blah.

They're such blood suckers!! Thank goodness for caller ID & recordings.

19. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2008

I say "sue me you can have my bills"