I am soooooo depressed

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by crazigirl80, Jul 24, 2008.

1. crazigirl80

crazigirl80 Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

I have been looking for a elementary posistion for almost 3 years now....I haven't gotten a single interview this summer...even though I just taught summer school. Please tell me that there are more of you out there who have been looking for awhile!!! BTW-I am in N Ca....it sucks!!!:unsure:

3. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

I am sure someone will call you soon.....I will be praying for you!

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2008

I am not in the same boat, but I just wanted to tell you that I do feel for you! It's so hard. I know you aren't alone in this battle. You will find your dream job- I know it. Hang in there!!!!!!!!!!:hugs:

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2008

It will work out for you! Don't give up yet...there are still two months of prime hiring season left!

Are you willing to relocate?

6. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 24, 2008

I am so sorry! I know it can be rough especially in a tight job market. Just remember that there is a plan for you and the perfect job will come along! (I really hope soon!!)

7. tiffanys

tiffanys Companion

Jul 24, 2008

Not quite in the same boat but we are in the same water! I also have been looking for an elementary position... I just relocated to Pittsburgh and haven't had one interview yet! I'm starting to get discouraged but I read a lot on here that most districts scramble at the end of July early August to hire.

Keep you head up, keep plugging away, and keep calling. My best advice, and only advice I can offer since I haven't been lucky yet either.

Good luck!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2008

I'm not any where near the left coast, but didn't Ca have big cuts this year? There were teachers with jobs who were cut, if I'm not mistaken. Are you willing to relocate?

9. dola0072

dola0072 Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

I don't live over in the west coast but I hear that Ca is in pretty bad shape in the education department. Are you willing to move? I have been doing some research myself and it looks like Arizona is doing a lot of hiring and they even have sign on bonuses. I relocated to TN hoping to get a job and so far I have applied to a lot of positions but since I just graduated the interviews that I have been to say that I am a strong candidate but they hired someone with more experience. I know how you feel. Keep your head up and stay in there. Do what you can do. I wish you all the best.

10. crazigirl80

crazigirl80 Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

Thanks for encouragement. As for relocating-it's not an option, my family is here to help out w/ my baby and my DH is a police officer and has a great job. You are right about the layoffs here....it's just super frustrating b/c 2 new teachers I taught summer school w/ both landed jobs just before summer school let out....I didn't get an interview. I think my letters or rec are pretty weak....that's the only thing I can think of that possibly sets me apart from them. I had a job-share last year(it landed in my lap) and I didn't even interview for it. Other than that-nada!!! I have sooooo much to give to my kids and my school and it's so discouraging that I am not able to do it!!!:unsure:

11. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

Wow. Hold your head high. This is the time of year when the most calls go out for interviews. We will be thinking about you.

12. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2008

Best wishes are going out to you. The right job will come along at the right time!

13. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

I feel your pain. Everyone asked if you can relocate. Where exactly are you supposed to relocate to? I haven't heard of anywhere that has a teacher shortage.
    I am also one who relocating is not an option. Have faith, there is a job out there just for you.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2008

4myclass-I looked at North Carolina and there were several positions still left unfilled!

15. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

:cool:That may be a little too far to drive, especially with gas prices what they are.
    I myself can not relocate. My DH has a wonderful job that he loves and my children have been blessed to have never had to switch schools. Hopefully someone else will be able to relocate there.
    Thanks, though.

16. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

Well I've been looking since March and have only had 2 preliminary interviews. But you have years on me, so I'm really sorry to hear that.

Not sure where you are up North (I'm in SoCal) but I got an email from Travis Unified and there is an opening for a 1st grade teacher. It's in Fairfield.
    Back in March I applied all around CA...but my husband and I decided relocating is not in the cards this year. So I got an email from up north...but can't pursue it. :( So there you are, a lead...hopefully! :)

17. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

HI Crazi-
    Where in CA are you? I have worked in the Bay Area, and we now live in the Sacto. area. We have 3 openings at my school. Major growth in this area.

18. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

I just wanted to add this to the water- This mornings newspaper said that the local school board went to the Philippines and hired 40 teachers:eek:. Talk about a slap in the face! What is wrong with the ones here????

19. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Aug 6, 2008

Why would they do that!!!! Salary would be the same, its not like they are getting "cheaper" labor. :mad:

20. smalltowngal

Aug 6, 2008

This really makes me :mad:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. MrTeacher

MrTeacher Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

wow are you serious? That's really weird... I hope the newspaper got some facts wrong or something...

22. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 7, 2008

I'm in NorCal too, in the East Bay Area to be specific.

What I've heard is that a lot of districts are holding off on hiring as long as possible in the hopes that the state passes a budget, which of course effects what the districts will or won't get. Some schools probably aren't able to hire more teachers until they know their exact enrollment for that very reason.

It's not a great time to be a state employee in California, period.

23. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 7, 2008

Hmm tell me more... :whistle:

24. smalltowngal

Aug 7, 2008

Well, I broke down and applied to a few more districts that are 40 miles away from the house. :(

I sure hope that this principal comes through for me.

25. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

I am east of Sacramento.