I am so tired of being a second-class citizen..

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by mrswhatsurname, Apr 12, 2011.

1. mrswhatsurname

mrswhatsurname Rookie

Apr 12, 2011

I am so tired of the way Special Ed Teachers get treated in the school where I work. I hate being treated like all I do is run around and chase students all day. I teach in a resource setting and have to plan 4 different lessons daily. I have to do all of my own IEP's and it is like pulling teeth to get a regular ed person to attend. I get yelled at for pulling kids out of classes for things that are beyond my control. Today I had to do state-mandated testing, at a predetermined time set by the principal (who I must say IS supportive) and I got totally bitched out by a teacher. I never get a planning period, due to reading tests or providing other modifications to students, and I never get a thank you. I have to listen to teachers complain constantly about MY students. There are actually teachers at my school who won't even talk to a child on my caseload. They will come get me to tell them whatever they need to know. I am here for support and advice. I have dual certification. I can teach regular ed (K-6) as well. Regular Ed is looking better every single day. Please talk some sense into me. I love love love my students! I don't want to leave them. (Please excuse my bad sentence structure. That's what happens when I am so tired I can't think straight.)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2011

Not all schools are like yours. In my district, sped and gen Ed work collaboratively, meet regularly, and everyone who is connected to a student signs the IEP. Sorry if that is not your experience. Are you the on.y sped teacher in your building? Could you work with admin to plan a better schedule for next year that is aligned better with what is going on in the classrooms, or explore push in? The teachers are mandated to follow the IEPs, so I don't understand why you are solely responsible...:dizzy:

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2011

It really can depend on the teachers in my school. Our special education teachers are all assigned to a team of core teachers to work with. Basically, each special education teachers works with about 4-5 regular education teachers and all the special education students in these classes are on this special education teacher's case load.

Some teachers are way more supportive of the student's needs and working with the special education teacher than others.

Just remember, each day things are improving. You are helping to change these teachers that you work with and providing your kids everything that they need to learn and be successful.

5. etcetera

etcetera Rookie

Apr 13, 2011

Do you have any co-teaching classes? I have found that once I get in a room or two with the general ed. teachers-they see what I do. Then it becomes "we" rather than "us" and "them". They see how much work you have and how you and your students contribute positively to their class. Most general ed. teachers are overburdened too and don't realize that there are those of us who don't get lunch, planning, etc.