I am so sad with the decesion to quit working for parents

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Jan 26, 2018.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Jan 26, 2018

I am so sorry to be discussing this again, but today my mom and I got into an argument because I could not make it work. I decided to come back and work Tuesday because I missed the kids and the classroom atmosphere. I could not make it to work because I had no gas to drive 40 minutes away. I would ask her for money but each time that I ask my mom complains about it, so I stopped asking many months ago and just maintaining on my own. She fails to understand that I am single and live on my own. I am not married and have support as she does. I don't think she gets it. She was married young to my dad, and they both struggled together until they found their careers. The point is they never had o struggled by themselves because they always had each other.

This is the second mistake I made in my life. I should have stayed on the previous job and deal with poor attitudes than to quit and deal with driving 40 mins away to my family's preschool. I am on the fence about working strictly from home. I have bills to pay, and I am unsure would it be feasible to work from home and practicing the Georgia Teacher Examination. I am afraid.
    Also, if anyone can help me out with budgeting that would be greatly appreciated

Rent-552
    Car Note-363
    insurance-206
    health insurance-126
    dental insurance-12.50
    phone bill-75.00
    groceries-140-163
    misc-120
    internet-80
    electricity-183

I need to bring in 2 grand maybe 3 every month is what I calculated

3. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Jan 26, 2018

I get the sense your decision was impulsive. Those are hard to resist, but I highly recommend learning to resist them.

You need to add a budget line for gas. My car note and my phone bill (Google WIFI!) is half of yours. So, that's something to ponder. Can you arrange cheaper options? This list feels a bit short and I worry you haven't caught everything. You need to find a way to save at least 10% a month for rainy days. They are guaranteed to come. Savings needs its own, committed line. When I lived on a tight budget, I didn't allow a triple digit misc. I had to know where every dollar was going and what was important enough to spend it on or I'd blow it at CVS/Chickfila without realizing it.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 26, 2018

Have you looked into a part time job on the weekends?

5. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 26, 2018

I would also start shopping for cheaper car insurance - I don't know what your driving habits are or why you're paying $200/month but there must be a cheaper option available if you shop around a bit. See if you can find a cheaper phone/internet plan to cut back on those, and put your "misc" into savings so you don't keep having the issue of "I can't change anything because I don't have money for the interim."

Apply for jobs near you now, so that when you do leave working with your parents (which I strongly believe you need to do, based on all of your posts about it), you have something else lined up already.

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 26, 2018

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

czacza and vickilyn like this.
  7. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Jan 26, 2018

Like my grandfather always said, there are two ways to look at a budget shortfall. Cut back or make more. My quick, back of paper math says you are looking at $1900/month in expenses ( I rounded up just to be safe). I'm not sure where you're getting up to 3,000 a month unless you have a lot of other random expenses not included in your list. And you DO need to budget for less frequent but expected expenses (car inspection and maintenance, birthday gifts, emergency expenses) plus getting some long term savings going.

There are definitely some things you could do to trim your budget back even more. I'm going to go so far as to suggest you have a car you absolutely cannot afford. $363 is around 20% of your budget. Factor in your insanely high insurance and it's 30%. You should not be spending close to 1/3 of your budget on your car. I understand that it can be hard to get out from under too much car, but you should at least look into some refinancing options, or compare how much you owe on the car vs its value. If you could get rid of the car and buy a cheap but reliable older car (it can be done, trust me) that would help your bottom line some.

Even with that expense gone, though, you'd still be looking at 1.3k ish approximately a month that you need to bring in. This doesn't include gas or anything not covered by the miscellaneous category.

1,300 a month is pretty bare bones, and that's assuming you can get rid of your current car. 1900 a month is still pretty minimal, but it can definitely be done. My husband and I have a similar budget and live off my income while saving his.

Backroads likes this.
  8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2018

Struggle is struggle whether you do it independently or have two struggle. Having another to worry about and pay for is just as bad, just less lonely. Maybe she gets it more than you. I see poor financial choices on your part which may be part of her apprehension with having to give you money.

Get another job that is local to you. Reduce your electricity use. I'm not sure why it is so high. Can you cut your phone payment? It seems high, especially if you have wi-fi at home. Did you get yourself into a phone plan where you bought an expensive phone and are being charged every month? Is internet just internet or is it cable too?

I just don't get it. It is so horrible you must quit and then decide to go work when you have no means to get there. I understand you might miss the kids, but sometimes you have to give up things to get things you want. Sacrifice. The world won't end just because you miss the kids and the classroom, especially if what you are doing will eventually get you to a permanent classroom position.

9. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jan 26, 2018

I am in the financial blunder I am in because some days I weren't paid, and other days I was paid short. This is why I am struggling. My electricity bill is high this month because of the winter months, and they charge like high heavens for heat. I have cricket wireless prepaid phone, and I may even change a data plan. I have internet and cable but will be getting the cable turned off on Monday, and I will just be using wifi.

Thanks so much for the advice. I am hoping a classroom position come very soon. As of now, I teach from online which pays well when I add on more hours, but I like to go out and be around people

10. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2018

We have some differences of opinion about financial blunder. I have always believed that if you are living to the edge of your pay, you need to find a way to cut back. You should always be saving so when a situation comes up, you have the funds to tide you over.

I understand winter and hot summer rising bills. I've also put down the heat in the winter and put up the heat in the summer to help reduce the costs. Yes, it is uncomfortable, but until you are in a better financial position that is a sacrifice you need to make.

If you need to make money and want to be around people, get a part-time job that is around people and local, add a few hours on-line, and study hard for your testing. Several people have recommended waiting tables. Is there a reason you don't want to consider that?

11. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jan 26, 2018

You've received a lot of good advice from the folks here which you should probably consider putting into practice. If you haven't done so already, take some time to visit your local bookstore where you'll find a many bestsellers dealing with financial and life planning. Check out Suze Orman's books in particular that always give sound advice and specific guidelines.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2018

Why would you go back to work for the parents who either don't pay you or pay you less than you supposedly earned? Makes no sense to me.

Linguist92021 and a2z like this.
  13. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2018

Plus have to pay for gas and wear and tear on the car both ways....

Backroads likes this.
  14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 26, 2018

Several of my co-workers have nannies they pay around $2,000 per month. Just a thought.

I think you need an impartial advisor (minister, friend, etc) and sit down and come up with goals and a plan; you seem a bit aimless and need to focus.
    Good luck.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 26, 2018

How are you going to get hired as a teacher if you aren’t certified? Were you working at a daycare? I haven’t followed the drama so I’m out of the loop.

Get on as a sub and then find an after school waitressing gig until you get a teaching job. Supper shifts get more tips.

I worked three jobs and went to college full time, so it can be done.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2018

She has a sociology undergrad, so could sub, but has been delayed because she didn't have everything together on training day. Working on her MEd. online at GCU. Supposed to student teach in the fall, but now it looks more like January of 2019, and unsure how she will be put into a classroom for that. Planning to take the appropriate GACE exams for Elem. Ed. Working at the preschool would be simple daycare, because she doesn't have a certificate for PreK. I think that summarizes more recent posts, although I have glossed over the budget info since that is a personal matter that is out of my area of expertise.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 26, 2018

Then work retail during the day and waitress in the evening. Take care of getting sub details and classwork done on days off. I personally wouldn’t go back to daycare as that is horrible pay. Working at some fast food places or convenience stores pay more.

a2z likes this.
  18. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2018

:agreed:

a2z likes this.
  19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2018

Agree with above.
    TeacherCurious, you've been given lots of good advice ranging from job searches, education, licensing, health concerns, family drama....and yet you seem to be no further ahead than when you started on the forums a year and a half ago. One doesn't simply 'bring in 2 grand, maybe 3' without buckling down, cutting expenses and finding ways to make more money. What will you do to make this happen?

a2z likes this.
  20. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jan 27, 2018

Hey Vickilyn. This is correct! However, I was teaching VPK in Florida which requires a state of Florida Pre-K certification and I have that. I just do not have certs in Georgia because their process is a bit different from Florida

21. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jan 27, 2018

So here is an update! Just a few moments ago, I received an email to be considered for a teaching position in a headstart program that is close to where I live. It is with the Telamon Corporation. I am hearing good and bad things about it. I have an interview Nex Tuesday. I am hoping for the best

futuremathsprof likes this.
  22. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 27, 2018

Plan to arrive 10 minutes early (even if you just sit in your car for a few minutes once you arrive). Make sure you have copies of any recommendation letters, cover letter, and resume. And good luck! :)

futuremathsprof and TrademarkTer like this.
  23. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2018

Out of curiosity, since you don't have an education degree, what was your route to the VPK certification? I'm not familiar with the Early Literacy Training certificate.

Copy of one (1) of the following credentials: Copy of a five (or more) hour Early Literacy training certificate. If Literacy training was completed after October 1, 2005, it must be the Florida Standards for Four-Year-Olds as well as VPK Emergent Literacy.
    • Child Development Associate (CDA) or Florida Child Care Professional Certificate (FCCPC) earned within the last five (5) years; or
    • An Associate’s Degree or higher in Child Development; or
    • An Associate’s Degree or higher in an unrelated field, with at least 6 credit hours in early childhood education or child development, and at least 480 hours of experience in teaching or providing childcare services for children any age from birth to 8 years of age; or
    • A Bachelor’s Degree or higher in early childhood education, prekindergarten or primary education, preschool education, or family and consumer science; or
    • A Bachelor’s Degree in elementary education, if the pre-k instructor has been certified to teach children any age from birth through 6th grade, with a Florida Educator’s Certificate, regardless whether the certificate is current or not, and has not had this educator certificate suspended or revoked.
    Also curious how that pays (when you get paid). I have nothing to compare that to.

24. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jan 27, 2018

I went to a two year community college that also offered early childhood education classes and while achieving a degree in general studies, I decided to enroll in ECE classes and earned a FCCPC which is the state of Florida birth-5 certification. I earned an Associates in general studies a year later and then transferred to a 4 year university.
    Being that I have a Bachelors and experience in ECE pre-k and preschool classrooms I am able to teach Pre-k in Georgia but would like a certificate to teach pre-k-6 in GA because the pay would be better.
    Also while taking classes in sociology, I took a lot of classes geared towards child and family sociology. Those classes and the degree also enables me to get preschool or pre-k positions with the state of GA without a cert.

25. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 27, 2018

Your car is way too expensive. It's more than mine, and I drive a BMW X3, 2008, and my credit was very crappy when I financed it. You should try to figure out how to trade it in, or sell it and get a basic car, new or used, which could put you at or under $200.
    Your car insurance is also very high. You should shop around to get something cheaper, I'm sure you can find something. You can also just play around with your coverage, higher deductible, etc, and you can probably shave off $30-40.

Your groceries. I'm sure you can spend a little less. I don't know if this includes eating out. If it does, stop eating out, no fast food, and no Starbucks (if it's included). Make all your meals at home. Avoid buying anything prepackaged individually buy in bulk. Definitey avoid things like cubed cheese, prepared salads, etc. . You can buy a block of cheese and cut it yourself and save 50 %.

I don't know where you get $3000 / month. I'm also unsure of why you can't make it. I have been on my own in this country for 26 years, no family to help. when I was in my 20s, I never ade more than $20 K a year, yet I made it. In my 30s I made around $30 k, and raised a child without childsupport and put myself through school (my tuition was paid for and got financial aid, so that helped, but that was part of the 30 K)

I think you just need to take a hard look at reality and figure out a budget and make a good decision about which job to keep and which one to leave. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but many, many people have made it with less money, more expenses (kids, dependents, etc) and less resources.

futuremathsprof and Upsadaisy like this.
  26. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jan 27, 2018

Head Start is a completely different world. It requires a ton of paperwork and a different teaching style. I do get paid more than my last job, but it's still not what I'm worth in my opinion! I plan on this year being my last, mainly because of the admin, not necessarily because of the work (I enjoy paperwork :p ) or the population I work with.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2018

Good and bad isn't a good sign.
    Hiring someone without certs isn't a good sign.
    You may be jumping from the frying pan...from one bad situation to another. Good luck with that. Was this a position for which you applied?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  28. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 28, 2018

I'm going to agree with Linguistic. Although, that's about what I paid for mine and my credit rating was awful. Before saying to trade it in or sell it, think about how close you are to paying it off. If you're less than 6 months away from paying it off, I'd say keep it. Otherwise, you can find a cheap car. Shop around for both car insurance & health insurance. I'm in Michigan and that's more than I pay for any one of our cars. Add a line item for gas!

I budget about twice what you have for groceries and I feed 3-4 adults. I rarely buy name-brand items. I've found that the store brand has less carbs & sugars plus are cheaper. I look at the ads and buy meat when it's on sale. I use coupons, have the store card which gives me a cheaper price, plus sends me a check when I reach a certain amount. We take our lunches to work, don't stop for coffee and buy in bulk. We buy a jar of applesauce and proportion it out, same with crackers, chips, cheese etc. I don't buy pre-cut items, I cut it myself.

Your misc. line is about what I budget for 3-4 people.

Does your internet include cable or is that different? We bundled ours together as it was cheaper. When they raise the rates, it's a phone call and maybe a different provider.

I don't want to sound harsh, but really think about where you can cut. I remember a time in our life, the kids were little that I would have loved to have $3000 a month. We made it though. We budgeted, ate at home, shopped at multiple grocery stores to get the best prices. Of course, both of the grocery stores were close to us. Eating out was a treat. Outings were planned for & budgeted for. New clothes, shoes, make-up? Had to be planned for, it didn't come out of misc. Those were extras.

You need to be honest with yourself and determine what is a want and what is a need. Where can you cut back and what can you change?

Good luck

29. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 28, 2018

What everyone else already said, but the only thing I might add is WHAT IS THAT ELECTRICITY BILL? Turn off those lights!! Unplug those phantom electronics!

30. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2018

I don't see your tuition bills, which is kind of important seeing as how you are working on the MEd. Do you have a separate loan for that, or is this something your parents are paying for you? If your parents are on the hook for the education, at what point will you start repaying that debt? I agree with the remark about gasoline costs, especially with the history of driving 80 miles daily to go to work. However, since your parents live that same 80 mile trip away from you, I'm guessing that there are trips to the parents that do not yield any income. I, too, did a double take at the cost for the car and insurance. I'm guessing a predatory loan amount based on bad credit, and a history of accidents or driving citations that drives the insurance premium through the roof. Given that combo, it will be hard to get those monster items under control without serious work. I also didn't notice credit card debt/payments, somewhat unusual for your age. Did your parents pay for your undergrad degree, or do you have student loans for that. I don't care if you have them, or not, but if you have debt that you are sweeping into that Misc. $1000/month, it really isn't misc. at all.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  31. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 28, 2018

We use a program for our energy bill that we pay the same amount every month, no matter how much or little we use. Once a year(?) maybe every 6 months, it is adjusted. It helped with our budgeting, knowing what we were going to be paying each month. So those months that we would use more because it was either very cold or hot we paid the same as the other months.

32. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 28, 2018

My energy company offers that too. The problem is the rate they offered me was $130 a month, when I've never used more than $100....

33. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 28, 2018

Ugh. That's awful! Some years we've overpaid and our monthly payment has decreased and other years we've underpaid and we've had to increase our payment. For us, it's worked.

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 28, 2018

My rent & bills total $3000 - 3060/mo too, but my car's been paid off long ago, thank God! (My next biggest bill is the landline phone/internet/cable TV bundle.) Any extra money I have, I try to get ahead on the rent because that's the roof over your head. My car insurance allows me to skip 4 mos out fo the year (halfway in the year & at the end of the yr), so that's hard to beat & gives me a little bit of a break.

I don't know if you're a religious person, but do you pray regularly? I do & God's blessed me during some hairy, financial situations in my life, so I don't fret if or when things happen. Good luck on the interview!

35. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jan 28, 2018

If you do get rid of your current vehicle, look for one that is more fuel efficient. Check Consumer Report's list of used vehicles before you buy to make sure you're not getting a model with a history of problems. Some cars last better than others; we have a 20yo Honda that still runs with minimal problems, and that's after a tree fell on it.

For groceries, meal plan, shop loss leaders, and cut back on meat. When buying perishables, if you plan out what you can make with them, you're less likely to have them go bad before you use them. For meat, buying in bulk is more cost efficient. In college, my roomies and I would buy a 4lb bag of frozen chicken breasts for marginally more than 2lbs fresh. Buying family packs of ground meat, portioning and freezing saved us money. Many stores have a rack of discount bakery that is still good so long as you eat it in the next few days. That's a good way to save on things like buns or French bread. Check the price per ounce too. I don't know if it's national, but here the retailers must put the price per ounce on the shelf sticker. It's easier to compare prices on like items that way.

36. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 28, 2018

Some of you have very high monthly bill totals... I live in California and here are my monthly bills. Bare in mind, I’m single and don’t plan on having kids. Anyway, here they are:

Rent - $620
    Car Payment - $292
    Car Insurance - $184
    Gas - $200
    Food - $250
    Cellphone - $71
    Utilities/Internet - $70

Total: $1,687

My monthly income is about $6,000 after taxes, so I have quite a bit of disposable income after all my bills are paid.

I’m curious, how much do some of you pay in rent/mortgage? Do you pay for daycare services? I’m just trying to figure out how/why some of your bills are so high?

37. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 28, 2018

That rent seems crazy low for CA. I assume you have roommates? I can't do the whole roommate thing so my rent is just short of $1200. On the other hand my car is totally paid off (100 K miles, and I plan to drive it 100 K more if it's like my previous Honda), and my car insurance and gas are both less than half of yours. Food and cellphone are similar.

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 28, 2018

I'm in (southern) CA & I'm curious, WHERE in CA do you live to have a $620 rent? My rent is $1603/mo & goes up every yr no matter how much I try to negotiate & it's the smallest sq footage unit in my complex as it is! When it's lease renewal time, I'm sure it will go up to $1728/mo if not a bit more. :eek::mad: (It was about $1225 when I first moved in about 6 yrs ago.) Anything else would be in areas of the county I wouldn't really want to live in. (I think I live in the nicest, most pleasant, safest city in my county.)

Anyway, I am mad at myself about some cc debt of mine, so that's of course on me. My 2009 Nissan's been paid off like about 6-7 yrs ago.

39. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 28, 2018

I don’t have roommates. I just found a cheap renter on Craigslist. I live in a house. My landlord is pretty awesome and never increases the rent. Same thing with my last renter — I lived there for
    6 years. Rent was $450/month and renter never increased it once. I always look long and hard when shopping around for renters.

40. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jan 28, 2018

Does the 6,000 after taxes include your tutoring?

41. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2018

How did you pay your car off in two years? Big down payment?

I lived in San Diego in mid 80s and our rent was $750. Electricity of $183 for one person in an apartment seems HIGH.