I am SO Mad! This testing @#($*& is insanity!

Discussion in 'High School' started by Calliope, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Calliope

Calliope Companion

Apr 21, 2008

Tomorrow and Wednesday our school is having the geometry end of course exam. Thursday and Friday we are having the algebra EOC. I teach English. This has nothing to do with me.

THIS afternoon a schedule was sent out via email, and I am scheduled to give the geometry EOC during 1st & 2nd blocks both days. The only thing is, on B days (tomorrow), my first & second periods are regular English classes. Almost NONE of those kids even have geometry. Hello? I need to be teaching those kids.

So I emailed the test coordinator, & she said my students (my entire class for two periods) would be sent to the auditorium during my class. EXCUSE ME? THEN I pointed out that my regular students would be taking the algebra EOC on Thursday & Friday & would therefore miss my class. So this means an entire week of no English class for them?! What the???

I can get no response whatsoever. This is complete bull! None of the other freshmen English teachers have to give this exam. And the other freshmen English teachers don't have regular classes those periods, so they would only have a couple of students in their class anyway.

On top of all this, during the algebra EOC I am being booted out of my classroom & put in the frikken portables! I have classroom sets of books & an LCD projector & dvd player that I'm using right now. Plus, on Friday I'm scheduled to be out. So now I'm going to have a sub that has to travel with that whole set up?

I'm so mad I could CHOKE someone! Why doesn't anyone use his/her brain? And why do we get no notice of these kinds of significant disruptions until 2:00 the afternoon before?!?! And why won't anyone in the administration respond to my perfectly logical questions & requests?

Where is the banging head against the wall cartoon cursing smiley when you need one?

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 21, 2008

I totally understand!!!! We have EOCT next week, and they expect me to give the English exam. I looked at the roster and the kids I have in the room are HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I teach Science...and we don't have an EOCT in the class I teach.
    We were lucky to get this much advance notice. Our admin usually just lets us know that day.

Found this one:

[​IMG]

4. OrangeBlossum

OrangeBlossum Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

I completely agree with you.... we had PSSAs for English and math a couple of weeks ago... now next week we have the PSSAs for science and the IOWAs.... all resulting in bizarre class schedules and missed class time. We also give the 4sight exam, which takes up many more days.

The whole thing either completely depresses me or makes me sooo mad - depends on the day. So much wasted time.... so much emphasis put on tests.

5. Calliope

Calliope Companion

Apr 21, 2008

You know, if I were one of those teachers that's just looking for any excuse not to have to do my job, I wouldn't be so upset. Heck, a week without having to teach regular students would be some teachers' dream! This boils down to me being upset because my regular students are going a week without instruction right in the middle of a very difficult unit.

The over-testing of our kids always makes me depressed. But this idiocy & ineptitude in administration makes me furious. I haven't been able to calm down about it all night. It's absolutely worn me out.

Edit: Well I finally got an email response from my principal. A school wide email encouraging us to be "team players." I'm glad some of you with more sensitive natures can't hear the expletives I am yelling at my computer screen right now.

6. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Apr 21, 2008

Our testing schedule isn't as nonsensical at least for me and my students. I don't have to move from room to room or anything. For me, the high school exit exam was worse because of all kinds of scheduling problems--I think it was all set up with the idea that all tenth graders would take it and then two days before, the administrators realized that only tenth graders with enough credits could take it. So there was some scheduling madness for people like me who were supposed to proctor and not have class, but who really had a half a class of low-credit kids to deal with. At first I thought I would take them to the library or something but of course all rooms like that were taken up with testing.

7. HMM

HMM Cohort

Apr 21, 2008

I guess that is their polite way of saying shut up and do what we tell you.;)

8. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

Apr 21, 2008

My favorite response:

Adolph Eichmann was a team player.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2008

10. MrU82

MrU82 Rookie

May 1, 2008

Yeah testing blows. Most of the kids dont really even care. At one school in the district they are giving kids a "pizza party" at the end of testing. The worst thing is that the administration pretty much passes on the message to the kids that once testing is over, so is learning. We just finished testing and I am trying to teach more material to students and they just say, "aw cmon testing is over!" Very irritating.

11. Calliope

Calliope Companion

May 1, 2008

I just found out I'm being booted out of my room for testing again next week.

Is it summer yet?

12. HMM

HMM Cohort

May 1, 2008

yes...classes ended on Tuesday for me :D

13. SSA

SSA Companion

May 1, 2008

When I was a senior in high school my AP English teacher told us that we had half of a day off because in CA 12th graders aren't required to take any standardized test so the teachers who taught 12th grade were test proctors and we were "supposed" to go to auditorium for "senior" activities. She suggested that we study for AP exam instead.

Needless, to say most seniors walked into school about 11pm or so. So many people showed up right about when the first class for seniors started that they needed to open some gates to let everyone into class.

I understand that happened at a lot of high schools in CA. It was pretty much an officially sanctioned partial ditch day.