I Am So Disappointed-Venting

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by DressageLady, Apr 22, 2014.

1. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Apr 22, 2014

I interviewed last summer and watched the positions go to my younger classmates. At 50 years of age, applying as a fresh first year teacher, it was a very demoralizing process. But I tried to look at it with a dispassionate eye and ended up applying for and being offered a part-time para position as a classroom aide.

The over-riding reason why I took the para job (as opposed to working as a sub) was because it would have allowed me to apply for certified positions as an in-district employee. This was something I felt would give me an advantage, since last year this same district had such a pool of qualified applicants for certified positions already working as paraprofessionals, they never had to open up the positions to outside applicants.

I have enjoyed my work these past seven and a half months a great deal. But there is nothing that I do that consistent parent volunteers don't do. I make copies and cut papers into 4x4 squares. I file graded work into weekly folders for the trip home and I supervise students during lunch recess. No matter how much I like the students, there is no getting around the fact that I am grossly over qualified to do this work.

But I was a woman on a mission. Although I took my job very seriously and treated it as the responsibility it was, I had my eye on a bigger prize. I want to be a teacher, with a classroom of my own. I committed myself to my position this year, and have not applied for any certified openings that have come up in the district. But my plan was to start applying for positions that open for next year.

I have been checking the website for the surrounding districts and I have been applying for positions as they open. Up until yesterday, the only openings my home district has had were summer school positions that were open to all applicants (which I applied for). Yesterday a summer school position was posted as in-district only. I went to apply for it and was blocked. I contacted the HR office and asked for help in submitting the application and was told that paraprofessionals are no longer eligible for in-district status when we are applying for a position outside of our current classification. Although their advice to me last year about taking a para position and using that as spring board into certified openings was good at the time, they explained they just changed the policy at the first of the year.

I can apply as an in-district employee for another classified position, but I am out of luck with any certified positions.

I am so disappointed and so very, very discouraged. I will continue to apply when and where I can, and I understand that this is just one district and I have a better chance in the neighboring district. But it is still a pretty bitter pill to swallow. They could have at least grandfathered in those paras that also had active certified applications. I don't even feel comfortable discussing it, since I really don't want to get a "trouble maker" label attached to my name.

Just about anything is preferable to this. Wal-Mart might be a pit to work in, but at least there are no delusions that it is anything but a pit.

Sheilah

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2014

Sheilah, I am so sorry this happened to you. The exact same thing happened to me. I interviewed for a para job and got it. Everyone said that that was the way to get the foot in the door to a teaching position. I busted my butt during that year. A job opened up, but like you, I could not apply as an internal employee but had to wait until it was open to everyone. I received an interview, but the job went to someone with more experience (like always). I had to teach summer school and then come back the following year as an aide. It wasn't until the middle of fall semester that I was hired as a teacher in a neighboring district. The principals were good friends (had worked together) and my current principal recommended me to the other principal. I spent three years at that school and loved it!

4. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Apr 22, 2014

It wouldn't be so bad if I felt like my principal had his eye out for opportunities for his paras. He doesn't. Shoot, half the time I get the impression he can't remember our names! We don't participate in staff meetings. We don't take part in any of the events that the school sponsors (like family game night in the gym). He had sent out a generic e-mail to the paras last week. I needed clarification and stopped in the office the next day to speak with him about it. He was out of the office for the day and the secretary told me to just reply to the e-mail he sent out , that doing that would be the quickest way to reach him. So I did that. And he has never responded.

I am so discouraged. And very disappointed in my district.
    Sheilah

5. MsGBakes

MsGBakes Rookie

Apr 22, 2014

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I know how hard it is to be searching for a teaching job at a certain age. You have every right to be angry. If you can, I would seriously consider leaving that school district. Of course I don't know your situation, but I would have a hard time working in such a school. All we can do is keep trying and applying for teaching jobs. I really think that finding a teaching job is all about luck and being at the right place at the right time...especially if nepotism or connections with the right people are not an option. Be proud of your education and accomplishments, no one can take them away from you.

I think that the cream will rise to the top, and the not-so-good will sink to the bottom..maybe not right away, but someday. It took me 5 years to get my teaching certs and after much searching, got my first job last August, and now I am being let go..but the other new teacher, who is 24 years old is staying. I have to sit in our teacher's office and hear them talking about the people they are interviewing for my job, right in front of me. I thought I was going to pop a blood vessel in my head today. I was never welcomed there and was treated very poorly because I am considered middle-aged. I also know that I was their last resort for the job because the young teachers all turned the job down. I wanted to tell them that no one - especially a 24 year old - is going to have my qualifications, and is going to want to work here and put up with the insanity of this department. The teachers and the admins. have stopped saying hello to me and treat me like I have the plague or l I committed a crime. If they hate me so much, then pay me for the rest of the year and I'll leave right away.

You seem to have so much passion and dedication for the career, and I truly hope someone recognizes your talent and gives you a chance. I wouldn't go back to that district if I were you, they don't deserve such a hard worker. Focus your energies on you and finding the teaching job you deserve.

6. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Apr 22, 2014

I understand how you feel. I worked as a para for two years in my local school district, hoping to be hired as a teacher. I wasn't hired there; there were some changes being made so that I was no longer considered highly qualified for the job that I wanted. I was disappointed because I had pictured myself working in that district. It was a 10 minute commute, and my daughters attended the school. I was 48 years old at the time.

But I didn't lose hope. I knew that there was a better job for me out there, that I was not meant to work in this district. I wasn't even sure if it would be a teaching job, but I knew in my heart that there was something better for me.

You know that old saying: When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us. ~Alexander Graham Bell. That's what I said to myself.

I applied to many other districts. I was hired at a time when few were being hired. When I interviewed for my current job, I sat in a waiting room surrounded by people who looked like they had just recently graduated from college. I had graduated over twenty years prior to this, and knew little of the current education lingo.

But they hired me. It was by far the best career move for me.

Don't lose hope. There are many open doors awaiting you.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 22, 2014

I wish I had advice for you, but I do wish you the best.

8. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Apr 22, 2014

I applied to five districts last year and have kept all my applications active for this hiring season. I have gone as far afield as possible with my applications. There is no way we can pick up and relocate. Our lives are here. We own our home. My youngest son is finishing up his freshman year in high school. This is the hill we'll die on, so to speak.

I have done everything I can possibly think of to improve my chances of being hired. i don't know what else to do. I am thinking that despite how much I love teaching, I just don't like teachers or administrators or really anyone else who is involved in the profession.

I know that sounds horrible, but I am really worried that this past year has left such a bitter taste in my mouth that I just can't get past that.
    Sheilah

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 22, 2014

Not going to lie... part of the reason I went into teaching is because children are more or less the only people that I can stand for long periods of time.

Unfortunately, if moving isn't an option, then you're limited as far as you can go. Are there any more districts that are just a little further out? You'd be amazed at how much shorter a long commute seems when you're going to a job you love.

Also, have you made sure to update your resume and letters of recommendation for your current job? Even if your principal doesn't acknowledge the great things you are doing, are there other folks around that have?

10. MsGBakes

MsGBakes Rookie

Apr 22, 2014

I don't blame you for being fed up with teaching, it's a nasty profession, and it always was...my mom is a teacher and experienced being passed over for jobs and many firings, she had no luck until she found her current district. You are not a para - you are a TEACHER - don't ever forget it.

I don't like teaching any longer. I'm going to be honest - I never wanted to be a teacher. I don't like teaching and I don't really like kids. I was perfectly happy working in an office, until my entire industry sent our jobs overseas. I have a lot of relatives who are teachers and it seemed to be a decent job with security. I knew it would be hard being a new teacher with sped. kids, but don't think I can do it again. If you can find a job in another field or industry and you think you'll like it, then take it.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 22, 2014

n

12. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Apr 23, 2014

I understand what you are going through. I worked as an aide for a year before being offered a classroom position. Just because you are not classed as being in district doesn't mean that you can't apply when they go public right?

I used it to get my own classroom in a private school, then moved to an urban public school district.

13. SFAbrownie

SFAbrownie Rookie

Apr 23, 2014

So sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. Having graduated from grad school this past December and no teaching experience other than internship and student teaching I knew I had to step up my game if I wanted to teach. I went to every job fair I could attend. I talked to people and tried to make an impression. When I was interviewed on the spot I made sure the principal/committee knew I was passionate and eager to start teaching. I had 3 real interviews and 1 over the phone which resulted in 2 job offers and 1 letter of intent. Yes, I am young and inexperienced but I prayed that people could see the potential in me. I do have excellent grades and I'm a good public speaker which helped a lot too. Don't be discouraged, continue applying, stalk principals, make good first impressions, compose your self before and interview and if you do not know the answer then try to answer to the best of your ability. I was very honest when interviewing and pointed our how I would love to have a mentor/s to guide me.

Good luck to you and NEVER give up. God has a place for you already you just have to do your part :)

14. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Apr 23, 2014

Whether or not they open teaching positions to "outside" applicants this year remains to be seen. They had so many certified teachers working as paras that they never had to open any teaching positions to outside applicants last year. But, regardless, I am applying for everything I can.

The other districts I have active applications in don't designate openings as "in-district" or "open". Everyone applies for the posted openings (although if you're already teaching in that district, your "score" is increased).
    Sheilah

15. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Apr 23, 2014

Well, not to argue the point? But I am a fantastic public speaker, too. I interview well and I have glowing recommendations. I have spent a lot of years working with children in a professional setting and I am passionate and enthusiastic about teaching.

I am not young, though. I have no dates on my resume, and I have made everything as age-neutral as possible. But there is no getting past the fact that I am not 25 years old. Or 35 years old. Or even 45 years old. We don't have job fairs for teachers in this state. It is a very, very tight job market here. Public education has not fared well in the current political and economic climate in Idaho.

I kind of feel like I have done my part, several times over. I am not sure what more I can do? And I think that there will come a time when I will have to "give up".
    Sheilah

16. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Apr 23, 2014

it's true. attractive people attract jobs. they are all models where I work at. they even walk like models down the hallways. there is not a hair out of place.
    even the sub yesterday the ladies we're telling me he was attractive so I made a little detour, and yes another model teacher.

17. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Apr 23, 2014

Age discrimination is rampant in education. I am going through much the same thing as you are and can't get back in as a regular employee. IT HAS BEEN SIX YEARS since I was illegally dumped in Nevada. It takes an act of Congress to get any kind of work here in southern Oregon. Districts here pull this part-time garbage as a hiring pool for the few full-time classified positions that exist. It is massively competitive up here for the classified jobs, and I seriously doubt I can get hired in special education as a teacher (M.Ed., Oregon license, six years experience). I have known full-time teacher assistant substitutes for the local ESD who are basically EMPLOYEES yet have not been officially hired as regular, benefited employees. Those people should sue because that is wrong. They have been doing this for three or four years, not months.

I am so ruined financially I can't get out of this dump. I am here only because family is here and I could not resume a teaching career in Nevada thanks to WCSD's illegal garbage.

I have been substituting for almost four years, and I am sick of it. I am 59 and cannot ever afford to retire or retrain.

18. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Apr 23, 2014

I interview great and have been told I do, but districts give precedence to internal hires and not subs. I am now having to resort to Experience Works, a program for those over 55, and who knows how many applicants there are to interview for positions with non-profits?

I can't live on hit-and-miss sub positions and a tiny pension. I just can't.

19. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Apr 23, 2014

The problem is the economy is in the ditch, and age discrimination is everywhere.

20. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 24, 2014

Then I must have been the odd-ball...... No one will ever accuse me of being a model.... I'm not even 40 and I have a big balding spot and an ever-expanding gut!! :D

21. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 24, 2014

If you never wanted to be a teacher, why did you become one? Knowing teachers and being teachers are two separate entities. I wonder if you would feel differently if you had landed in a regular traditional classroom as opposed to special ed.?

22. MsGBakes

MsGBakes Rookie

Apr 24, 2014

I basically answered your question in my post. I only became a teacher because I wanted some job security and stable hours. No other reason. The economy is depressed and there are NO jobs out there. I tried to get another job doing what I used to do, but couldn't find one. I did try and get a teaching job in gen. ed, but couldn't find one. My sped. cert is the reason I was hired and the reason I was fired. The lie I was told is that they don't need anymore sped. teachers. I hate sped. and will never take another sped job ever again..I can't even remember what it was like to teach kids who didn't require a million accomodations.

23. teach1

teach1 Companion

Apr 25, 2014

MsGBakes... I'm more inclined to think you were fired because of the following

"I'm going to be honest - I never wanted to be a teacher. I don't like teaching and I don't really like kids." and "I hate sped. and will never take another sped job ever again..I can't even remember what it was like to teach kids who didn't require a million accomodations."

and not because your age, which is what you seem to believe.

The truth has a way of shinning through.

24. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 25, 2014

Teachers become teachers because they want to teach. Since you only became a teacher because you wanted some job security and stable hours, I can see why you hate teaching......

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2014

This hurts my heart. As a former sped teacher, now diag, I think these students are the best ones to teach. When I was teaching, this pop was the one that really worked the hardest to make up for their 'shortcomings'.

26. MsGBakes

MsGBakes Rookie

Apr 25, 2014

Yup, I have to take care of her, even though she still works part-time..you don't know older people who still work and need help?

27. MsGBakes

MsGBakes Rookie

Apr 25, 2014

I wasn't FIRED - I was reduction in force. They said I could have my job if the need is there. All my evaluations were effective...gotta sacrifice teachers to hire more admins and supervisors.

28. MsGBakes

MsGBakes Rookie

Apr 25, 2014

Yeah - everyone in the world pursues the profession they always wanted ...every doctor became one to save lives, and help the world - it has nothing to do with using their intelligence to earn great money and having comfort and security.

29. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 25, 2014

I've never heard a teacher say they became a teacher for the hours or job security... Maybe way back in the day, but to say that now is seriously laughable in many areas.

I find your attitude sad. I've wanted to be a teacher since third grade.

30. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 25, 2014

:confused:

You do enjoy speaking out both sides of your mouth, don't you?

:unsure:

31. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 25, 2014

:tired:Troll?

32. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 26, 2014

My grandmother's like that - at least when she was working for/with the girl scouts - either my step-grandfather or my mom or my uncle who lives nearby would have to drive her to various things, as she stopped driving after a car accident in her 40s.

33. comaba

comaba Cohort

Apr 26, 2014

MsG claims that she can't move out of state because she's caring for her elderly mother in one post, not just driving her to work. In another, her mother is still teaching. In a third, she says she pursued a job in another part of her state. She's a first year teacher, so all of this is recent.

She's also given numerous reasons for why she was not renewed, each one more provocative than the last. Either she's Teacher41 with a new username, or she's a troll IMO.

I'll delete all my other posts in this thread. I'm sorry that I derailed DressageLady's thread.

34. a2z

a2z Maven

Apr 26, 2014

I have a friend talks like this. It became worse when her depression worsened.

35. MsGBakes

MsGBakes Rookie

Apr 26, 2014

I am not a troll...I don't know why my posts are being researched and read.. I didn't think I was that interesting to read all my posts.
    I don't have to prove anything to anyone.
    I never tried to get a teaching job out of state, it was suggested to me. I would like to leave my state, but not to teach somewhere else, and yes, I do have a mother who works, but still needs care. I have to take care of her. I was non-renewed, but reduced in force...I didn't know I had to check my terminology each time. Have a great day ya'll