I am SO bummed!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs_B, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I put in a request for a kidney table so I could do guided reading next year and the district denied me, saying only kinder teachers can have them or my principal can buy me one. Right, with CA's financial situation I doubt that is happening! I am so sad!:(

3. wig

wig Devotee

Jun 9, 2008

It is disappointing. But you can improvise with putting some desks in a small semi circle. Not ideal, but it works.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 9, 2008

I wonder how expensive it would be to build one.

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 9, 2008

Mrs B, don't despair. Does your school have a junk room? Most do. I'd go rummaging to see what I could find there.

6. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I don't have a kidney table either; there aren't any at my school. Last year the kids did some small-group reading outside with my aide, but next year I'd like to do actual guided reading with them. I'm thinking about just clearing off the front of my desk and having the kids bring their chairs over, and using that.

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2008

I do guided reading at a small rectangular table. But in the past I have done it on the floor and even at the student tables. You can still do guided reading without it just as effectively. :) Don't worry!

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 9, 2008

I've seen teachers use a rectangular table. You sit in the middle of one of the long sides, then you can get like 4-5 kids around you. This is what I used my first year before I got one. It works just as well and saves space.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 9, 2008

Ugh, my last team teacher and I were trying to get RID of our kidney tables all year! We had fifth grade and didn't do guided reading with them, and it was such a huge waste of space. We usually just stacked it with stuff. I wish I could have rolled it on over to your room! ;) Can you find a low table at a garage sale and cut a moon out of it? I have no idea if that's possible, but in Katie-world, anything is!

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2008

Bummer! I know that when I went to a guided reading workshop, the presenter didn't even use a table at all. She had the students pull their chairs around her. She was in the middle and there were 4-5 students at each corner of her chair and either right in front/back of her. She said this way, she could hear everyone read. I never tried it b/c I was comfortable with my table.

11. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I'm so sorry. A few years ago everyone at our school k-3 got one because of a grant we had. I don't know what I'd do without it.

This summer try to post a proposal on donorschoose.org to see if you can get one. It's worth a try.

12. educator

educator Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

What about reading circles. I placed several small chairs in a circle in the corner of the room, and rotated the children's reading instruction. The kids were divided into color groups, and each group was instructed at either a remedial, normal or advanced level.

When the red group was reading, the blue and green groups were working on math activities. The total instruction time took about an hour, so I had to make sure that I had 40 minutes worth of work that they could do when not reading.

This system also has some reward factor - both for me and the students. When someone has completed the "remedial" group they got to move from the red group to the blue group. We both feel like we've accomplished something.

I've used this method through two extended substitute assignments, and it seems to work relatively well.

13. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

CHeck e-bay and craig'slist and freecycle. You may be able to get one pretty cheap. And never count out garage sales people might have something that would work perfectly for your needs. I have a kidney table but if I didn't and I needed it I wouldn't get it. My school doesn't supply anything that is not already in your room. I'm just hoping when I get into my classroom that the previous teacher left all the materials that were suppose to stay, because if not I'm pretty much gonna be outta luck. :(

14. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

It's always interesting to see what different teachers want and what teachers want to give away. I think I'm at the point where I want to give away my horseshoe table so that it saves me space. I feel as though my room is already small enough that the less furniture in it, the better. If I didn't have this table, I would probably have my small groups sit in a circle on the floor or we'd pull all our chairs into a circle. I'm still debating how I want to go about doing that next year.

15. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

Yeah I wish I could get rid of mine but my school requires we use them for reading groups. Ugh! It does take up a lot of space and my room isn't huge and when you have 23 students their desks take up a lot of space.

16. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I would give anything to have 23 students in my class! I had 32 students by the end of the year and that takes up so much space. I think that's why I sorta want to have rectangular tables in my room for my students rather than desks. They might as well get used to having everything in their backpacks anyway since that's how 6th grade works as they are departmentalized.