I am so bummed....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by pwhatley, Jul 24, 2007.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2007

I knew better. I have been a job hunter enough times to definitely know better. I put all my energies into trying to get one specific position (a 5th grade SS teacher), instead of staying emotionally level headed and spreading out my efforts among the other 6 elementary schools in my area. I live just inside one parish (county), and 6 miles from the largest city in another parish, so actually, there are more than 6 schools out there, but those are the ones to which I won't have an hour long drive. Anyway. What really got me, though, is that I was not even given the opportunity to TRY for this job! The principal knew I wanted to meet with him, but never called me back (duh, guess I should have taken the hint). I didn't think that I had become so emotionally invested in the position, but I've been on the verge of tears since I found out the position was filled (through a friend who works at the school). I will get on the phone tomorrow in the attempt to reach principals at other schools, in the hopes that they have an opening and would not mind seeing me. I feel like I have 2 strikes against me before I ever open my mouth. I am 44 and have no experience in the classroom. Secondly, I am (almost completed) in an alternate certification program. Some principals like teachers from this program, some don't. Some principals value the life lessons learned by 2nd career teachers, some want youngsters fresh out of college. Oh, well. That's my rant for the day. Sorry it is so long.

3. Xgomenara9

Xgomenara9 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Okay well I was in the same boat. I just got done student teaching and the Principal interviewed me for a fifth grade position. I can't believe that I didn't get the position especially when the two student teachers before me got elementary teacher positions in the school. I don't know why I didn't get the position. I went everyday to work and tried my best. Maybe because I have 30 credits over a BA I don't know. Maybe he didn't like me or someone else was waiting?

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2007

the teacher he did choose may have known someone higher up, you never know.

5. njteach16

njteach16 Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

the same thing happened to me

I am am a scond career person as well. I student taught in fifth grade in the fall. Did a great job with excellent observations. There were two openings in fifth grade at my school, which I interviewed for. I didn't get either one... they gave one to an expoerienced teacher and the other to another student teacher. I was devastated. I finally went on another interview in a great district a few weeks ago and went for the demo lesson yesterday. I think it's a long shot, at best. It is a very difficult district to get into.

Now, in almost August, and I feel I wasnt aggressive enough in my search. I really thought I nailed the interview for the position in the district where I student taught.

Problem was they had three people they wanted to hire and two positions!!!

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2007

I have been there (in the business world), too! Now that I have slept on it, I have a little more perspective, and like you, I was not aggressive enoughy. Things are DEFINITELY different in the educational arena than they are in the rest of the working world, LOL. Although I think that I would have done a good job in that position, I have to trust that God will place me where he needs me. Another benefit is that I will definitely student teach this fall, during which I will (hopefully) make valuable contacts, get my foot in the door, and learn what it is really like in the classroom! What did you do before becoming a teacher?

7. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jul 25, 2007

i am fresh out of college and am not having any luck either. my experience so far has shown that schools DON'T want us youngin's because we don't have "experience". so don't feel alone! i've begun to think it's sheer luck when getting a job (oh and knowing the right people lol). :)

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2007

pwhat- we have been following this particular job search for a few weeks now. I know you had your heart set on this one particular job but there are no guarantees in any job search and I know you met with frustration at every turn in the quest for this one position. Last week you were dressed and ready to go with resumes- have you followed up on that this week? It's Wednesday already -get out there and get those resumes flying this week, drive to schools and shake some hands...don't give up!!:love:

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2007

Thanks for the support, czacza, I really appreciate it. I haven't given up -- in fact, I just got off of the telephone -- trying to set up meetings with principals. No luck today, but I will try again tomorrow. Then there is the option to student teach for a semester. I have always been torn between student teaching and interning -- I believe there are pro's to both situations. Last night I was definitely bummed, but today I've got more perspective and I have a brighter attitude.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 25, 2007

Glad to hear it, pw. Tough it out - you will be a teacher one day and I hope it happens quickly. It is so hard not to get fixated on expectations. Just remain open to the possibilities and don't waste time on the 'shoulda's'.

11. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

pwhat,

I'm glad to see that you've bounced back today with new perspective. IT is tough and I feel (read?) your pain. I, too, left the corp world and SAHM scene to enter education. I am older and often feel like that is a strike against me, too. But I also know that I have much more life experience than the youngins' just out of college (no offense you guys). One big lesson I have learned in this crazy job search is to not put all of my eggs in one basket. I have had my heart set on one particular district since college and I have yet to be able to impress them. Every interview has been a "courtesy" interview, despite my contacts or maybe because of them, I don't know. If I have to do this ever again (assuming I get "the call" this week like I hope I will :)), I will start sooner, research deeper, be more aggressive/assertive, and not be shy to contact everyone I know even remotely connected to education. In other words, I will play by the "rules" of education job search and not use the corp world's strategies. They are definitely different.

Now, get out there and peddle those resumes!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2007

The student teaching option might be a good one- you can get your 'foot in the door' with a district, then sometimes STs roll into LTS or day-to-day subbing in the district where they student taught and then picked up the next year...That's happend twice in the past few years in my district. The student teaching experience will also look better on your resume, I think as some schools are hesitant to go the alternate route...Keep positive!!:D

13. njteach16

njteach16 Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

I totally agree with you... the rules in the corporate world are so different. I think I am learning the education job search rules too little too late.... I have never been so frustrated in a job search....I will surely be more aggressive and get a quicker start next time also.
    I can't believe it is August and I don't have a job yet and there are only a few prospects left still open....I am trying not to take things too personal... I've come out of interviews thinking "Wow, I nailed that" only to never hear from them again! Go figure. Eventually, something has to give... but it is truly frustrating.

14. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Jul 25, 2007

In the same boat

I understand and share your frustration. I ed teched for 3 years to make sure education was the right field for me, went back to school and got a Masters of Arts in teaching and I cannot get a job! I am 44 and wonder if it is my age, like some other posters here. It seems that young grads are having some difficulties as well, though.

We should all hang in there. Retirement deadlines are right around this time, so cross your fingers.

Here's to jobs for everyone!:)