I am so aggravated I could just arggggg!!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by midwestteacher, Aug 19, 2009.

1. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 19, 2009

Today was the first day of school. I spent last week preparing a packet for all my classes. I made a cover sheet and in the packet was classroom rules, expectations, my grading policy, special intructions for journals and how they are graded, a calendar, etc. I made all of these material specific to my classes. My department coworker is a class A slacker. He went in my room, took my master copies, whited-out my name, put his name on them and copied them for his classes. As I am going over them in one class today one of the kids told me "We have these same papers in Mr. N's class. Same pictures and everything except your name isn't at the top."
    This guy has been driving me crazy for a year. We were told in the spring to have a syllabus for each class to turn into the vp before school started this year. He wanted mine that I used for a class that I taught last year that he took. He didn't even know how to make a syllabus for his classes. He took mine to use as samples. I have them for each class and give them to the kids on the first day. We had two workdays this week. They started at 7:30. He arrived at 8:30 on one and said he thought it started at 8:30. The next day he showed up at 8:15 and wanted to know where the meeting was. I told him they made an announcement at 8:00 that the meeting was postponed. He said that wasn't his fault because he didn't get the email.
    He came into my class during his planning time today and was trying to recruit my students into his class during a period when his numbers are really low. He is always in my class during his planning interrupting things and just being a pest.
    I am just so aggravated with him I could scream!!!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2009

Dear Abby used to say that no one could take advantage of you unless you let them.

Close your door when you're teaching, and let him know that you would appreciate it if he would respect your time with your class. Choose not to let him borrow your stuff.

4. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Aug 19, 2009

That is horrible. I would be pissed. I know nothing about secondary education but this pissed me off so much I had to say something. All your hard work for someone to just take it and copy without your permission. That would drive me CRAZY. Now its like you need to lock all your stuff up for fear he may copy or steal something.

5. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Aug 19, 2009

Oh wow, that would drive me nuts! I'm so sorry you have to put up with that! I just finished typing up my syllabus and all that other "beginning of the year stuff" yesterday, so I know how long putting all that together takes.
    I agree with Alice, though -- keep that door shut (and possibly locked) while you're teaching. You may even want to ask him not to interrupt your classes. That's so rude of him.:mad:

6. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 19, 2009

Alice has said it best...what a...what a...jerk...

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 19, 2009

That would drive me nuts. I actually would snap on the man one day.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 19, 2009

This needs addressed. You need to say something to him about his inappropriate behavior.

He taught your students it is okay to plagiarize. So not cool.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2009

Absolutely right. This guy stole your intellectual property. I would tell him in no uncertain terms that he is not to take anything from your room or disturb you while you're teaching! Is your admin aware of this slug's behavior?

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2009

You ARE going to call him on this right? Please consider it because I agree that we can only be treated the way we allow ourselves to be treated. He might think you're a royal you-know-what for confronting him but who cares? Consider the source. He's a dishonest, lazy, jerk. Once you let him know this is not happening, he'll go find someone else to manipulate. People like him don't stop their behavior. They simply find another victim.

11. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2009

Thank your union for their hard work in keeping people like him employed.

I'd be flattered personally if someone took my stuff verbatim. I'd be rather upset about trying to take my kids though. Do whatever you want to me I can take it but don't mess with my kids.

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 20, 2009

This behavior disgusts me.

13. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 20, 2009

Uhh, he didn't have enough time to do his with all the meetings we had on the two work days before school started. Guess what? We are both on an extended contract and I got everything done. I am about ready to take all the papers in and show the principal what happened.

14. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

I had an issue similar to this. A coworker of mine didn't make any of his own tests, worksheets, etc. He even went as far as to steal my textbooks because he never signed the books out so when he was short at the end of the year, he didn't know which students owed him books.

Now, I let it slide until one day I finally had it and cursed him out (well, that's an exaggeration--I had "words" with him). I am not proud of this at all.

Moral of the story: don't wait until it get's to be too much; set him straight.

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 23, 2009

Rockguy, there is no viable union in Texas, and teachers like this man are everywhere. This has nothing to do with unions.

16. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

Hopefully some of it will bite him in the butt when he doesn't enforce the rules that are in "his" packet and the kids catch on.

The wandering into your room would drive me crazy! In our building that is pretty well unacceptable except for VERY rare occasions that you might need to urgently speak to a colleague or if you're looking for a kid. And even then you don't just hang out, you say what you needed to say and then you leave. Close your door. When he knocks (hopefully), open it a tiny crack, tell him that you're very busy right now and you can't talk. Close the door again. If he bothers you at your prep, start being somewhere else or do what my department chair does and lock the door and turn off the lights. We have shades in our doors and she pulls hers all the way down to the floor. Works great.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

1.Send your master copy of your syllabus and parent letters to your department head or administrator. Tell them you just want them to know what is 'going on in your classroom'.
    2.Lock up EVERYTHING.
    3.Tell this idiot you are done with him.

18. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 23, 2009

I'd have a face to face talk with this guy and let him know you know what he did. Lock your door when you're not in your classroom, don't acknowledge him if he's entering your room during class time, and discuss this with your principal.

Supporting slackers who don't belong only prolongs their longevity.

He needs to become responsible for himself or hit the road.

19. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

We also don't have unions here.
    He told the kids that he took my stuff and just copied it. They are the ones tht told me.
    We share an office and one door is in my classrrom. There is a hallway door, but he doesn't have a key to it and mine is so old that you can't get a copy made that works. So he walks through my room to get to the office.
    Last year, he would send kids over in the middle of class to ask for a video for them to watch because "we don't have anything to do." He had been just taking them and never bring them back so I started hiding them from him.

20. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Aug 25, 2009

:eek:

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 25, 2009

That's nuts! There are definitely guys like him teaching everywhere. They are smooth talkers and get the job but then don't know how to DO the job!! How do you both have the same students if you are both in the same department?? I would definitely not be happy with this guY!

22. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 25, 2009

We teach electives. Especially when the kids are seniors, they will take multiple classes in our department instead of taking an extra science or math.