I am really sad

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by 1st-yr-teacher, Jul 23, 2007.

1. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

So a stray cat came to our house about a week ago. My younger brother started to feed her. She is a really sweet cat. She is black and white with pretty yellow eyes.

Over the last two to three days her belly has become swollen. We did not know what it was so we planned to take her to the vet this week. Well today it seems has taken a really bad turn for the worse. She is laying around, has heavy breathing and is not acting right.

We called the vet to see what we could do, he said it sounds like she has a disease that comes with being a stray and that nothing can be done but to put her to sleep.

sorry for posting such a long post, but I am just sad because we wanted to keep her. We were going to take her to get her shots and spayed. I just don't know if she will make it through the night. We plan on taking her to the vet first thing in the morning.

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2007

I am sorry that she is not going to make it, that would break my heart. *sniffle sniffle*

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2007

I'm not a cat person, so forgive my ignorance.

But there's no chance she's going into labor, is there?

My sympathies if things turn out as you suspect they might.

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2007

Cats bellies will swell slowly over a period of 60 days if she was preggers, if she is preggers and is showing signs of labor after only a few days of a bigger belly she may be losing the kittens. Best to have the Vet do a through exam tomorrow first....

6. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

we are taking her as soon as the vet opens tomorrow. She hopped up on a table in our garage and she let my mom pet her. I hope she will be okay. We have really grown fond of her and she has only been here for a very short time.

thanks for the sympathies

7. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Jul 23, 2007

Holly and I send hugs and thoughts to you and your kitty.

8. AlliBob

AlliBob Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. I will say a prayer for her. Hopefully it isn't anything to serious. It was very nice of you to take her in and give her a home. I hope everything turns out well.
    I feel your pain, my dog has been sick all week with a similar illness. He has an infection but it doesn't look good because his kidneys are failing. It is amazing how much we love our pets. They become a part of our families and it's hard to watch them suffer. :(

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 23, 2007

I hope she makes it through the night and is treatable. It's hard to watch any creature suffer. My fingers are crossed for your kitty and hope she lives a long time to be spoiled rotten by your family!

10. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

well she made it through the night and has seemed to perk back up. We took her to the vet first thing this morning. My mom and I were so nervous about getting her in the carrier. We set it down with the door open and she stuck her head in investigating. I thought to myself that there is no way that getting her in was THAT easy! It wasn't too bad though. We petted her for a while right next to it and then my mom put her in. We had to push her in from the behind. Needless to say she was not a happy camper. She cried all the way to the vet(which is a good 20-25 minutes away). But I feel better about it but am still trying to prepare for the worst.

11. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 24, 2007

I'm sorry to hear about anything bad that may be in the future of your new found kitty. Hopefully she can be saved. I love our cat, she is the first one that has stolen the heart of the entire family. And she really seams to talk. I"d hate to see anything happen to her.

12. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 24, 2007

I hope everything is okay. She sounds like a really sweet cat. Praying for the best.

13. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

good news! doctor said she did not have that disease he thought she may have had. He thinks her belly was swollen because of not eating for a long time. He said she may also already be spayed. Which makes me wonder if someone has lost a pet. But I am happy she is okay. We are having the vaccinations and things done already. I am glad she is okay! Thanks for everything!

14. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Jul 24, 2007

That is soooo great to hear:) :) :) ! She is lucky to have found someone like you...who is taking such good care of her. I believe everything happens for a reason. She will give you and your family as much happiness and love as you have shown her in the short period of time you have known her:hugs: . Keep us updated on how she is doing.

By the way... what is her name?

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

TIME FOR A PHOTO!

I need to see this kitty that gave you such a scare! :D

16. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

well we are back to bad news again...we brought her home and we let her out. she came out and had an accident while in the carrier. She hadn't used the restroom in a couple of days I think so there was a lot. She apparently had an upset stomach from being wormed. We tried to keep her around so that we could attempt to give her a bath. But she ran off into the woods next door. We have called for her and looked for her but she has not come back. I hate that we were not able to clean her off because she was such a mess. My mom's friend said she will come back, but she hasn't yet(this happened yesterday around 5).

I hope she is okay.

17. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 25, 2007

I was telling my DH about the cat and he said it sounded like she had a blockage. (hard stool). I hope she comes around again.

18. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

well she is back! she came back to eat and is under my car right now. Hopefully, when my mom gets back we can get her to let us give her a bath.

any advice on giving a stray cat a bath???

we are going to wait a little while...don't want to run her off again!

19. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2007

Your gonna laugh, but there is only one way to give a cat a bath. First, you gotta catch her and bring her inside. Second, you need long sleeves of the heaviest material you have, then you need gloves, yep gloves. Go into the bathroom, the smallest one you have, turn on water, insert cat. Rub furiously for a few minutes, insert cat in water again. Attempt to dry with towel, fail, let cat go, hide from cat because cat now hates you......:lol:

:D

20. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

oh dear:eek:

21. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Jul 25, 2007

and make sure after the bath to not let her near the exit.....because she will definitely be looking to run away after that experience!!

22. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2007

And don't forget to keep a lot of bandages on hand!

23. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

is it going to be that bad? should we just take her to a groomer and let them deal with her? ya'll are starting to make me worried....:eek:hmy:

24. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

You might try just sponge-bathing the kitty with a wet washrag. It might be less traumatic than full immersion. I would still wear the arm and hand protection, though. I still have scars you can see from the time I took a cat into the swimming pool with me when I was in high school. (I didn't know she wouldn't like a ride on the paddleboard!) :huh:

Good luck!

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2007

I'm so glad to hear you are the kind of person who takes care of stray kitties. As for the bath, I would do the wash cloth thing. Put a bit of baking soda and warm water in a pail and a cloth. Wash her gently, starting with her head. See how she reacts. Work your way down and towel dry her, then brush her. I would never attempt to give a cat a "bath."

26. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 25, 2007

I tried to get my cat groomed when we moved and I could not find a groomer that will do cats! Just before I drain out my little baby pool - I toss the cat in for a wash. She practically walks on the water.