I am really disliking -21 for almost a week

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Tired Teacher, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 11, 2020

Today: I was frozen inside my house because the arctic entrance door froze shut. A friend came over and was able to open it w/ brute force and tools from the outside. That was not so bad, but I drove my car into civilization to get gas and groceries only to discover my gas tank cover was frozen stuck.
    So I drove to my nearest friend's house, and I tried to get in via the garage door opener. I always go in that way and have the code.I figured I could unfreeze it in his garage. ( He's gone and I couldn't find my phone.) Guess what?
    A lot of times garage doors don't function well in cold weather. I could not get in, but went back to the gas station and a guy messed w/ my cover for a long time, and he finally got it open so I could get gas. The cover may not ever work again though.
    IDK what this has to do w/ weather, but it does. I lost my cell phone. Oh, I do know. It is so d-----cold that I don't want to even go out again and look for it. It may very well be in my car.
    To top it all off, where I plug my car in is full of snow and it trips daily. All you have to do is hold in a tiny button for 10 seconds to reset it. The tiny button requires no gloves.
    Do you have any idea what 10 seconds on metal feels like?
    It is in a really inconvenient snowy spot where I have to squat down and look upside down to find it too. I have decided for now, I will stay here as long as I have a parent alive here. Then I am selling this place and moving South....somewhere warm. My kids like to travel, so they can come visit and maybe I'll come back in the summers.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    MikeH likes this.
  3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 11, 2020

It was like 75° here today. And windy. It will probably drop 50° overnight. We can’t pick a season. One day last week is was 32° when I went to work and 65° when I left.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 11, 2020

Ima, there is a funny meme about that temp change. I'll see if I can find it.
    I can't find it except on FB and I guess it doesn't fit. It says: "Well, the temperature went from 90 to 50 like it saw a State Trooper." It was funny in the summer, but it doesn't transfer to this cold. Kind of like a joke in a different language.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2020

I don't even want to think of -21! I'm here to tell you that we're in our second 60 degrees day in a row, and I could take a whole string of them! Sorry, didn't mean to gloat, honest.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2020

I remember as a child wearing dresses and we had to walk to the bus stop in that kind of weather. It was brutal and I pledged then that I would leave as soon as I could. Finished college and left for a southern climate the next day. It's been over 40 years and haven't ever been back.

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 12, 2020

I’m glad I live in CA. There is no way I would put up with frigid temperatures like that!

I’d be like, “Nope, nope, nope” after the first day and leave post haste.

8. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Jan 12, 2020

I like cold weather that's too much. We've had a rather mild winter so far. Global warming.......?

9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 12, 2020

Oh, 60 degrees! That sounds REALLY nice. You are so fortunate. I still have not gone back out to plug my car in or look at my phone...lol My perfect temp is 70, but my range of I am OK is 85 to 20. After 0, it all feels the same.
    I can do 90 in Hawaii or Fairbanks too. The breeze in Hawaii takes the edge off. Fairbanks is such a fun place that 90 is doable too for me. I should have saved like Futuremath prof, so that I could move to Hawaii for retirement.

10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 12, 2020

Wow! That would be rough as a kid and sure made an impact on you. We had to wear dresses too. ( But, I didn't live here then.) Nowadays, parents have to pick their kids up at the bus stop. There are too many moose where we live.
    I used to not be the least bit afraid of them. I have never had problems with them. They usually walk away or leave you alone, but then I saw a show called "When Animals Attack" and know they can be dangerous.

11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 12, 2020

Too funny! In some of the bad districts, it is common place for teachers to come up and stay until it starts to get cold or/ and miserable. Then they just pack up, quit, and go home. Thanksgiving and Christmas are the main time for these events, but some just get off of the plane and say, "Nope, nope, nope!" Then they have to wait for the next plane out.
    When I 1st moved back here a friend of a friend was a P out in one of those places. He called me in desperate need when he heard I was a teacher looking for a job.
    He asked me if I could teach Calculus which the answer to that is a big H , No! I could probably teach 8th grade math in a pinch....lol I needed a job, but most teachers here know the bad spots. About 15 minutes after we'd talked, he called me back. He asked me, " Do you think you could "just follow the book?" It was kind of funny!
    Since most AK teachers know the bad spots, they have to recruit naïve souls from the lower 48. They have no clue what they are getting into usually. There are always jobs open if you will go there.

12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 12, 2020

Yeah, it is definitely too much. I do OK as long as it stays to 20 above, but I'd rather be in 60-70. Ya know, Global Warming seemed like a possibility here because we have had some mild winters lately. (By our standards)
    It is still is not as cold as it once was. I remember -40 many yrs ago when visiting. We always had a couple or few wks below 20, but the last 2 yrs have not dipped so low for so long. It has been over a wk. Maybe 10 days......and it is only Jan. Feb and March are usually colder. :( At least it starts getting a lot lighter in February! To look at the bright side.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 12, 2020

Last time I went to visit my sister and family in Colorado there was a huge snow storm. It was treacherous. We’re not using to driving in that kind of weather being from California. Plus, we had to shovel the rental car out of the driveway every day. Not for me! I can’t imagine doing that every day.

14. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 12, 2020

We were raised where the worst crime you could commit was "being a sniveler." :) Have you heard of , "Suck it up, buttercup?" I love my family, don't get me wrong. It is just they believed if you look, you'd see a bright side. ( or Suffer in silence...lol)
    My son even has the attitude of , " Cowboy up, or lay there and bleed." Only really if it is someone who is a user. So I guess I inadvertently raised my kids the same.Sniveling was not allowed as a kid.
    However as I became an adult, I realized I had the freedom to snivel when I felt like it. :) I guess I have been doing too much of it the last couple of wks.
    I told myself I could have 2 cups of coffee, but then I had to go outside, reset, plug the car in, and try to find my phone.
    Then a few minutes ago a really good friend, 1 of the nicest people I know, a true Alaskan, called me. They were passing through area and called to let me know that they were dropping by for a few minutes to shovel where my plug in is at ( it was a huge heap) , reset, and plug the car in for me.
    It may not sound hard, but it takes me about 15 minutes to get it reset and plugged in and it is soooo cold. Half the time, I end up on my butt trying to squat and look upside down for the reset button. It would make a funny video, I am sure.
    Anyways, there is a bright side about living here. 1 I had just temporarily have forgotten. Long term Alaskans are some of the best people you'll ever meet. Over the yrs, I have been stuck or off road at least 100x. In every case, someone came by ( usually a complete stranger) and pulled or shoveled me out asap or fixed something for me. They never take $ for helping. They just know we all need to help each other to survive up here.
    When I 1st came back, everyone and their brother kept trying to "set me up" with someone because they said women should not live out here alone. I wanted to be on my own at the time. I was not scared because I am pretty dang good with weapons. ;) Thanks to growing up w/ a dad who believed the Russians were coming, and we were going to take as many of them with us as possible. . ;)

15. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 12, 2020

Laughing! "YOU people" ( meaning people who have never driven in treacherous road conditions ) put the FEAR in many of us! ;) We live in a touristy place where people come to visit.
    Yeah, shoveling is a chore, but for the main part of it (driveways and roads), we use plows now. I am 1 of the few people I know who does not have a plow. There are lots of people who do plow services, and they are very good.
    I always pay a winter in advance, so they know I am a good customer and make sure I can get out in the mornings. Still I often have to unbury my car from the snow and get the ice off of the windows which is a pain.
    There is a guy about a mile down the road from me who always drops his plow to get out, so I don't have to worry about the backroads which is really nice!

16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 12, 2020

That is insanity! I’d be too scared to drive in such conditions. I am glad that you were safe throughout. Wow!

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 13, 2020

It was in the 60s here this weekend. It felt like spring! Back to 30-40 today.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2020

We usually get a couple of stretches of 2 or 3 days each winter with temps that low, but not usually a week; that can get exhausting. We've had a wacky winter weather-wise this year--a few super cold days (-10F or so), a couple of winter storm days with blowing and drifting snow, freezing rain and ice pellets, and about 20 hours of torrential rain this past weekend. It certainly hasn't been boring!

19. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 17, 2020

I'd be so happy with 30 degrees above right now. Something bad happens once it gets under 20 above. Then it is worse once it gets in the negative numbers. I won't complain though because it is a balmy -9 now. Better than before!

20. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 17, 2020

Wow! Weather is acting up there w/ice pellets! I accidently drove into a snowdrift yesterday and thought wrongly that I could "push through" it. Those things can be tricky because they don't always look as deep as they are!

a2z likes this.
  21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 22, 2020

I've been waking up to single digit temps this week and I HATE IT! It warmed up to 35 today but in the morning it's hard to get going when it's that cold out.

22. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Jan 24, 2020

I have no problem w/ getting up, it is opening the door to leave that causes me great stress! ;) We are still in the negative numbers. Cold is cold though wherever you are!

23. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Feb 29, 2020

I heard the NE is supposed to get some heavy snow. Anyone dealing with it now? The snow is so high here that it is up to my kitchen window. The temps are a bit better than -20. They've been ranging between 10 and -10 lately. At least it is much lighter now. I even got to see the sun the other day. It was so bright and pretty. I had been used to going to work in the dark and returning in the dark.

24. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2020

I guess you don't want to hear how I almost had to close my windows the last couple of nights because it got so cold...in the 50's :rolleyes:

25. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 1, 2020

Oh, I long to see the 50's once more. Maybe in 3 months....Winter is so long here, but we get a gorgeous summer.
    Believe it or not, I still keep a window by my bed cracked because it gets too dry if you don't here. I have tried a humidifier and all it seems to do is get things wet! So I have an electric blanket and pile the covers on.
    No worries about an open window here. I sleep upstairs and if anyone came down my road, I'd hear them.
    Did you grow up in Canada?

26. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2020

No, I was born in Vermont so I lived through my share of cold weather. Left the northeast right after college and have never lived north of the southern states since!

27. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 1, 2020

I was guessing you were from Canada, Minnesota, or the NE. I don't blame you. I lived in the sunshine for many yrs, but needed to come back at 1 point to help family.

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 3, 2020

Oh happy day!! Spring weather has arrived. I don't know about the rest of you who had a bad winter but we were really lucky I think.

29. greendream

greendream Cohort

Mar 6, 2020

I've lived in both extremes. I was born in a very warm climate, and I now live in the extreme north, almost at the Canadian border. Me, I vastly prefer the cold. I will never again live anywhere I can't walk over to a frozen pond to ice skate with my kids.

There is nothing more miserable to me than wearing long paints and dress shirts in the boiling heat. There's nothing I can do to cool down. In the cold, it's easy for me to warm up. I can put on extra layers and it's really not bad. And yes, I'm talking about -20, -30, -40. Wearing a dress shirt, a sweater and a wool coat, I honestly can't feel it. I even find wearing thermal underwear I end up way too hot, and I live in one of the coldest parts of the US.

Most times when I've shovel snow out of my driveway, I end up sweating by the end, despite the fact that it's below zero. As for shoveling, it's mandatory exercise, which to me is not a bad thing. Besides, it's really a tradeoff between shoveling snow and cutting your grass--if you're doing one, you don't have to do the other.

Yeah, I'm definitely a polar bear and never knew it.

30. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2020

I guess I am whatever the opposite of a polar bear is. 60 degrees and I throw extra blankets on the bed. I own one pair of closed toe sneakers...the rest are sandals. I wear long pants when the temps drop to 70. If it's cold, I struggle to get warm. I thrive in hot weather!

31. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 6, 2020

Oh, you are so lucky. We only have winter and summer here. Snow doesn't all melt until the end of May usually, but June is gorgeous!

32. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 6, 2020

Polar Bear :) I have lived in both extremes too and you make a good point. You are either shoveling or mowing! ;) You can always put more on in the cold, but there is a point that taking more off in the heat is socially unacceptable in most places. :)
    Oh, -40 is so cold to me. I have to wear layer upon layer and cover my face. They do make really warm under armor though now and it has become one of my best friends. I think I was meant to be a princess who lived in Hawaii and something went terribly wrong. It is the only place I seldom get hot or cold. It is just right! That is awesome you are in a place to take your kids skating. I grew up on ice skates. Good memories with my dad and sibs!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2020

It's that time of year in Southern Ontario when we are getting teases of spring--54F yesterday and just a degree or two cooler today. We will be back down again, but the days where we are above freezing will start to outweigh those below. We often get one last wintery blast in late March or early April, but the end is definitely in sight.

34. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 9, 2020

I have only felt that kind of cold for a short time and I left the area asap. I am guessing you mean 54 as opposed to -54 when you mention spring tease! :) Oh, how I'd love 54 degrees now! We have been below zero for ages.
    Winter is so long here, but I know what you mean about teases. I remember coming back here so many times after spring break and thinking , " Summer is almost here only to have snow dump down and the temps dip. "
    The final snow at my house usually melts in May.
    My family used to vacation in Ontario when I was young. I remember it was so pretty there. It seems like a nice place to live. I can see the end in sight too because of the sunshine. I think winter darkness is harder to deal w/ than the cold. It really started to lighten up the end of February. I am ready for some teases to come my way! :)

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 9, 2020

Yikes! Where are you? Alaska?

36. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 9, 2020

Yep! :)

37. MellowMoon

MellowMoon Rookie

Mar 13, 2020

If it's cold at your place that's not because of the temperature! Before I moved to Florida from NC we had the same problem but that's high humidity level 100%. For the same reason, your things don't dry out after washing. You should try using a dehumidifier for a week and look if it's getting better. I'm almost sure that will help

38. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 13, 2020

I'll look into that! Thanks!

39. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 19, 2020

Yes, a dehumidifier is a good idea. We have one in our laundry room.