I am out of ideas....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by eireannashley, Jul 29, 2010.

1. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Excuse my pity party but I am out of ideas and in a funk. I always look over the forum and am so happy for those of you who have found jobs for the upcoming school year, however I feel like I am doing something wrong. I have been looking since March and have had 6 interviews (with budgets being the problem and not having tons of experience). I created an online portfolio, updated my resume and CL, emailed principals...but nothing.

I know that IL is really tough but I am starting to feel like everyone around me is getting lucky and I have nothing. After graduating from college I moved to Costa Rica and was a volunteer teacher. Last August I came home and got a one year maternity leave position. I have a k-9 certificate. I have applied for everywhere within a 3 hour radius; I am willing to relocate however not too far because I am recently engaged and my fiance has two more years of grad school.

I just am really feeling like I am missing something and becoming extremely depressed about putting my life on hold. I want my own classroom more than anything, but I just have no luck. I am stuck in this rut with no ideas.

3. nogenrewriter

nogenrewriter Companion

Jul 29, 2010

Have you posted your cover letter on here yet? Have you tried cold-calling or e-mailing principals?

4. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Yes, I did post it on here and got some advice a while back and updated it. I also have called and gotten no where, apparently everyone is on "vacation" and have emailed A LOT of principals but really never hear back.

5. GG Fan

GG Fan Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

I feel your pain. IL is a tough state to be in right now. I'm sure you've probably looked on www.illinoiseducationjobbank.org. Have you tried looking at each ROE website? Sometimes districts will post on the ROE website or local newspaper instead of on the job bank (maybe they're hoping to not have to sift through as many resumes that way?). If you have to, would you be willing to work as an aide or for Head Start? Neither would pay as much as a teaching position, but you would get experience. Hang in there!

6. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

i tried

well i am not sure how much help this would be i am in a different state but I would go onto every districts website and look under the school board and read the minutes from the meetings...you can find out who is leaving, going out moving around etc. another thought is to substitute teach..and finally, look into the private schools..gear up for the first week of august, schools will be on a manhunt for teachers!

7. Meepers

Meepers Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

I am on the same boat as you and I absolutely sympathize your frustration. The truth is, it's hard for ANY prospect teacher to get a job because of experience and it grinds my gears when someone with experience "out wins" me in interviews even though I do fabulous and have earned compliments from other principals who have interviewed me. Some of my colleagues from the teacher program said the heck with finding US teaching jobs and went for overseas teaching.

Speaking of experience...
    You say you don't have any? This sparked my interest:
    You DO have experience! Even better, you have experience working in a Spanish speaking country. A lot of school systems are looking for teachers with Spanish language or cultural experiences since Latino/Hispanic immigration population is always expanding. Then you were a temporary teacher for a YEAR. You have the upper hand on experience over most prospective teachers. Why not emphasize this in your interviews more? Research areas that have a high Hispanic population because that Costa Rica experience will eventually help you find a teaching job.

As much as I hate to say this, you need to expand your location and hunt farther since the teaching field isn't being flexible for anyone at the moment. Unfortunately, the reason I'm not engaged to my SO, whom I've been dating for 6 years now, is because of the economy and the uncertainty of where I will land within my career (and he just started his entry level job so he can't financially support another person off his paycheck). Focus on finding the career before settling for marriage by looking farther. If your fiancee loves you, they will look and find a job within the area you teach. Worry about yourself when it comes to finding a career because you are limiting your opportunities here by looking at a 3 hour radius because of engagement. Something to think about.

8. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Thank you everyone! It does make me feel good to have someone tell me that they are in the same situation...stops me from feeling like I am the problem. I am def. going to take into consideration all of your ideas and advice and I really do appreciate it!

9. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

Hi eireann,
    I am in IL too. It is really hard right now, but you seem like you have alot of experience. I would continue to look. Alot of jobs come in Aug when the principals are scrambling to fill positions so keep that in mind. Also, have you looked into private, head start, or aide positions? Thats a great way to get some epxeirence and get noticed. I would also suggest subbing. My boyfriend subbed last year for half a year in northern IL and he got called almost every day and its decent money. I wish you the best!

10. CubbieFan

CubbieFan Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

Hi Eireann!

I'm in Chicago and am in the same boat! I must have emailed 20 p's and sent out just as many brochures, resumes, and cover letters. So far, I've only interviewed with ONE school! :( I'm starting to get discouraged too. Hopefully, August will be our month...

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 31, 2010

Good luck. remember to send resumes to every school that you are qualified to teach in within an hours distance from your home whether they have posted listings or not. Like it has been said on A to Z, usually by the time they post a job opening, the position has already been filled or someone knows someone that would be PERFECT for the position. If you get your resume in while the P is thinking about the job, you just may get a call back. Don't give up hope, we are always scrambling at the last moment when someone leaves unexpectedly due to unforeseen circumstances, a new baby, maternity leave, husband gets transferred, or making a job change themselves. It happens all the time. You just need to put yourself out there and be ready for the call WHEN they call. Stay in touch with any resources that you may have and let them know that you desperately want a job. Perhaps you will get lucky and wow them with your personality and skill!

12. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 31, 2010

It's really tough these days to get a job. A few suggestions I may have.

Have you tried going to the actual schools and just handing your resume out to them in person? I got my first job because I had face-to-face contact with the principal. I think this really helps.

Since you volunteer in Costa Rica, I'm assuming you speak Spanish. This is a big plus specially in Chicago since bilingual is in big demand. Do you have a bilingual certification? This is a plus.

Have you posted your resume here? I bought a book a while ago to help me with my resume. This book greatly helped me to improve my resume and includes a lot of samples for all types of situations. Here's the amazon link.

http://www.amazon.com/Expert-Resume...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280582561&sr=8-1

How many endorsements do you have? Universities will tell you that you only qualify for certain ones but I actually sent an endorsement application to ISBE just to see what classes I was missing and it turns out that I had enough credits for 3 more subjects.

Have you seen the CPS bulletin? Chicagoturtle has been doing a good job at posting it. Here's the link for this week's bullentin.

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=113593

One more thing. Charter schools...I know that they may not pay as much as CPS and you may work extra hours but you can get a lot of experience working there. Some high schools charter schools won't even required a secondary certificate if you are very good at one subject area. For example, if you are fluent in Spanish, you could teach there even if you don't have a 6-12 certificate. It's worth giving it a try.

If you are looking in the suburbs, check the district's website and see if they have openings. If they do fill out an application and follow up with a phone call or stopping by to get that face to face. Hope this helps.

I know that there are some openings around my area. If you want you can send me a message and I can send them to you in a link.

Hope this helps.