I am on the interview panel!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by terptoteacher, Jul 13, 2010.

1. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2010

I was asked to be on the interview panel for tomorrow! I'm super excited to be sitting on the other side of the table!! I am going to remember what it felt like to be the interviewee!

Have you ever been on the interview team? What's it like?

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2010

Good luck and have fun.

It can be awesome meeting great teachers with lots of potential and it can be awful wondering how some lame candidates think they can work with children. I have patience with the new, nervous ones - it is the unprepared or totally out of touch ones that get to me.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 13, 2010

It's quite a switch... but it's much less stressful on the other side of the table :)

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 13, 2010

I have been part of our rotating interview committee for the past 12 years. And I do agree with doing everything to try to make the candidate more comfortable.

My recommendations would be make sure to take notes. I draw a line down the center with pros on one side and cons on the other. I also have one question I like to ask each candidate - tell us about a challenge they encountered during college/student teaching/or their teaching career and how they overcame the challenge.

My biggest factor is how each candidate "commands" the interview. I only have sat in on high school and middle school interviews but we all agree how important a "presence" is with each candidate. The ability to command an audience - think classroom full of students - ranks high on our list.

The roughest part of the process is when we don't all agree on the same candidate. I have been part of some pretty heated conversations when this happens. Thats when my list comes in handy to help promote my candidate.

Have fun, and hopefully you find some really great teachers :)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2010

I've never been part of a panel.

But, as department chair, I was the one who went through the resumes, contacted the candidates, and did the preliminary interviews.

Those who got through me went on and interviewed with the AP and Principal.

It's incredibly interesting!

7. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

I have been on several interview panels.

I have been on specific grade-level interview panels and interview panels selecting for grade levels other than the one I teach.

I agree taking notes is important and key to helping your school find the best fit for your school.

We also prepare questions before the interviews and discuss the order in which questions are asked.

I find being on an interviewing panel interesting. I have even learned a thing or two from the teachers we have interviewed.

8. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

I got to be on an interview team for the small private school I used to work at. It was so interesting to see the different kids of questions that I asked vs. the admin. (who had hired me a few years earlier). I really enjoyed the process even though they didn't end up with my top pick.

9. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 14, 2010

No matter how great, nervous, lame, or unprepared the candidate is, I do my best to be friendly and make them feel comfortable.

We have a set list of questions that we ask all job seekers, but then I usually have a couple of my own. You might want to think about what you really want to hear and have questions related to that.

I don't take any notes on paper, but I make sure to listen carefully, and I keep a mental checklist of what I expect to hear. I'm not against notes, though. The reason I don't take notes is because my principal and her assistant sit there and write down PRACTICALLY EVERY WORD that comes out of the candidate's mouth (I don't know how they made it through HS and uni that way). The end result is that they hardly make eye contact with the candidate while he/she is speaking. I think that's awkward, so I make eye contact, nod, smile, etc., while they transcribe.

I agree that sometimes you can end up learning from the candidates. :)

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2010

I've been on our hiring committee for several years. I do love it. We meet many great people and it is interesting to hear their thoughts in the interview, think about how candidates might fit in our district...also leads to a lot of self reflection- how would each of us on the committee answer that question, how does what the candidates are saying rub against what we do and believe, what ideas does this candidate have that spark ideas in us?
    Generally we use a list of questions that the committee submitted to our P- he consolidated them and provides us with the list of questions, copies of everyone's resumes, folders for note-taking. One night we stayed a bit late and the P got us pizza.:p It's a good experience, I think you'll enjoy it.

11. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 14, 2010

I have been a part of the panel that watches demo lessons. I always felt badly for those teachers becuase I know that is so hard. I just try to make them comfortable as best I can. Like another poster, I take into big account the person's classroom presence and personality.

12. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

I really enjoyed being on the interview committee this year. However, we had to rearrange other teachers based upon what the qualifactions were of the person we were hiring. This turned out to be a nightmare. I enjoyed being able to talk with other teachers. But the flip side to that is the tension it created among other teachers in the building because they didn't get what they wanted.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2010

Rule number one: There's a reason they call it "work" not "vacation." You don't always get what you want, in terms of what you teach, where you teach it, or who you teach it to.

It amazes me how many people don't get that concept.

14. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2010

I have done it several times. It is SO incredibly eye opening! I too felt badly for the interviewees. Sometimes I wondered if I would be able to answer the questions they were being asked. Watching the demo lessons is the best part because you really get to see the interviewee walk the walk.

15. terptoteacher

Jul 14, 2010

Funny side note....my husband is a firefighter and has been on several interview panels..his advice to me was to stare at the candidate and make them nervous to see how they handle stress....
    I told him that NO WAY was I doing that!!!

He said that if a candidate cant handle the stress of an interview then he doesn't want him on his engine because the stress of a fire is way more intense than an interview.

I assured him that the stress of an interview is completely different than teaching. I feel very comfortable infront of my class but infront of a panel of interviewers is another story!

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2010

I'm quite the opposite of your husband's advice- I make eye contact and smile at our candidates. They are nervous enough with a panel interview...no need to make them even more so!!

17. terptoteacher

Jul 14, 2010

Yes!! I told him that I'd been on more interviews than him and so I would never make them squirm!!!! Been there-done that!

I guess it would be different if my life depended on how my crew handled themselves...would they drag me to safety or would they freeze up....

18. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2010

It is great experience to be on an interview panel or screener at a job fair. You learn tons that will help you in the future about what to do and what NOT to do. I really do try to make them feel comfortable because I know how it feels.