I am not cut out for first grade....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissFroggy, Oct 13, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 13, 2008

Ug.

I am just so impatient. I am tired of crying, whining, moodiness... OMG.

I wish there was a way I could change positions without leaving my school. I just don't think I have the temperament for this level. I just wish I was feeling nicer.

I feel really miserable about this because I AM A GOOD TEACHER- at least I thought I was.

3. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Oct 13, 2008

I went from 1st to 2nd - wasn't planning on switching, but it's been nice because 2nd graders are as sweet as 1st graders but way more mature and self reliant.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 13, 2008

Every teacher has her "place" in education. What you've learned so far is that first grade isn't yours. Next year, try second. A single year can make a big difference when they're that little. Whatever you do, do be too hard on yourself. You'll find your niche eventually.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 13, 2008

I totally understand, Miss Froggy. I love third grade, but I'm seeing a LOT more drama with these kids than I did with my fifth graders. I'm thinking fourth might be a lot better. Is there any hope of moving up next year?

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2008

MissFroggy-you are a GREAT teacher!! First grade just isn't your grade, and it's good that you know this. I taught kinder my first year, and within the first few weeks, I knew it wasn't for me. I moved to 2nd the next year, and it was soooooooo much better, but I still felt it wasn't my grade. After subbing and tutoring, its 4th/5th grade for me.

7. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 14, 2008

I've taught a bit of everything from K to 12. What I have discovered? In the classroom, I want to teach 6-9. In the gym, don't give me anything above Grade 3. You just need to find your place. Internal movement happens at nearly every school I've taught at every year. I hope you are able to move up next year!

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 14, 2008

I started out teaching 6th grade Social Studies, and eventaully moved up to the High School. It is possible, but I don't know if it would be allowed during the school year. What did you teach before.

9. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Oct 14, 2008

Oh Honey! I understand!!!! I think that 1st graders are cute and sweet but I could NEVER teach them. I teach 5th grade, and I know of plenty of teachers who couldn't ever imagine teaching 5th grade. So don't feel bad. We all have a grade level that is right for us, and one that isn't.

10. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Oct 14, 2008

I often feel the same way. K, 1st, 2nd, in my opinion, is a whine-y, tattle tale-y age. It really drives me crazy and yet I never thought I would even consider any grade but those. Now I am studying for a science add-on to teach middle/high school. Live and learn!

11. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Oct 14, 2008

Aww Miss Froggy....I can tell by your numerous posts that you are great teacher. Not everyone is cut out for those younger grade levels...there is almost as much teaching of behavior and maturity as there is teaching of content, so it requires MUCH patience...and even the BEST 1st grade teachers are sometimes taxed to the point of insanity! Stick it out for the year....you'll be surprised at how far they've come by the end of the year. But only you can determine what is your best fit. In the Spring, sit down with your P and have an honest heart -to heart and tell her that you know you are a super teacher, but are better suited to upper grades. If you have a good P, he/she will understand and try to accomodate you next year. I know my P asks us every year if we feel comfortable where we're at and if we have a different preference. It is nice to know she is looking out for signs of frustration. Mine last year was being in a 1/2 combo...I'll NEVER do that again!

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 14, 2008

I'm still not feeling great, but I did get two compliments second hand today. So that made me feel a bit better. At least the parents like me!

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2008

I completely understand where you are coming from. When I graduated I thought I wanted 1st-2nd graders. After teaching 2nd, 3rd and 6th I know I will never teach below 4th, if even that. Once you find your teaching niche you will know it, and it's good that you know what you don't want.

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 14, 2008

Hang in there, you're a great teacher.

There's so much to learn in 1st grade, I just don't know how in the world those teachers manage it all with whiny, tattle tailing little kids. Second graders are still whiny & tattle tailish but the curriculum demands are quite the same.

This is my 9th week, the year is 1/4 over. Hang in there!!

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 14, 2008

After having a class that corresponded with your 3/4 class last year, and seeing pictures of some of the great projects you did, I know you are a superb teacher. The little ones this year may grate on your nerves, but I know you will give them a great education. What does you new admin say about this? Who has the 3/4 class this year?

16. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Oct 14, 2008

MissFroggy, I've been teaching 1st for 3 years now, and I still feel like I'm not cut out for 1st! (Only halfway kidding!)

It's one tough grade. They are still babies, and need to be taught just as much about HOW to be students as they are taught about reading! Hang in there!

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 14, 2008

You're doing the best you can. You just know, like me, that you are born to teach the grade 3-5 age group. The kids are completely different at that age, much more intuitive, creative, and self-reliant. However, some have their niche with the younger ones, and my best friend is one of those people- in kindergarten and knowing she could never do what I do. And vice-versa... kindergarten-second is way too much for me.

My school has basically tattooed fourth grade all over me. It's like people see me, and they immediately think of fourth grade.

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 14, 2008

I interned in 2nd, and I thought I was going to swear by it. However, I am addicted to 4th. 4th grade is all I really desire to teach.

19. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 14, 2008

Well, sometimes our school puts teacher priorities over other things. Our two upper grade teachers are now both doing job shares, so there are 4 part time teachers doing 3/4 class and a 5/6 class. There used to be a 4/5 class but we have sort of a shortage of kids these days! The 4/5 teacher moved to 3/4 and is part time, job sharing with another teacher. The admin didn't think that part time teachers should be doing primary, so my only choices were 1st or 2nd. I didn't take the 2nd because that would mean that everyone except the 5/6 teacher would be at a new level, so of course the 2nd grade teacher kept that... oh, and we may have a shortage of older kids, but we have 4 classes with first graders. Mine has the most first graders, the other classes are 1/2 (mostly 2) or K/1. so it's a long story!

20. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 14, 2008

I think I love my job but I still also have those days that I just wish that they could be more independent. I agree with other posts that you seem to have wonderful ideas and we can tell hands down that you are a terrific teacher. One thing that has helped me is realizing that even though they are small, they can handle more than you think. This includes discipline. Be "mean". They can handle it. "Tears don't work on me." The thing that I can't stand is the constant, "They wrote on my paper." "Did you tell them how you feel about that?" "No." "Well, go do that." It is a bit tiring reviewing the rules and routines. I have the students lead the rules since I get tired of doing it.

Hang in there! This time of year, it should only get better! They will start internalizing the rules and routines and life will seem so much better! If parents are complimenting you, you know you are doing great!

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 14, 2008

If you'd have told me a little over a year ago that I would be teaching middle school and loving it, I would have asked you what drugs you were on. Everybody has their place.

22. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2008

There's a level for you.

My breakdown (strickly my observations)

kindergarteners: cry, off task, smell funky at times, can't cut a straight line.

1st graders: whine, tattle, are either completely lost or completely get it

2nd graders: immature rug rats, run all over the place, talk too much

3rd graders: getting better, but need to have everything repeated fifty million times. Still tattle.

4th graders: fight, act out, girls are mean to each other

5th graders: cry, off task, smell funky at times, can't stand in a straight line

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2008

:lol::lol:
    I've taught kinder AND fifth so I thought that was funny.

24. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Oct 15, 2008

:spitwater::lol::lol: I love this! Except, not just the girls are mean to each other in fourth.

Miss Froggy, hang in there. I can tell you are a great teacher, and things will get better for you. :hugs:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  25. Beatifulchaos

Beatifulchaos Rookie

Oct 15, 2008

I agree with everyone else. First grade just probably isn't your thing. I started out in college wanting to teach kindergarten. I taught my first year in 1st grade. I hated it. First grade to me is extremely hard, and I think the curriculum is boring. I have ADHD so I can't deal with it.

I liked 2nd, but I didn't really find the grade that I truly enjoyed until by default I was chosen to move to 3rd. I was so upset at first, but this is my 2nd year in 3rd, and I really enjoy it. I hated teaching math and science, and in 3rd grade all I teach is ELA and social studies. The curriculum is very indepth but I do better with that. The social studies is HISTORY and not "meet our community member".

Hang in there, you can learn a lot while you are in there such as good strategies for teaching reading (which EVERY teacher regardless of grade level should know). I would put in for a switch though because you will be more successful at a grade level that you enjoy teaching. :) Good luck!

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 17, 2008

I personally think 1st grade is too young, whiny, etc too. Kids haven't really gotten used to the whole school routine. I think 3rd grade is the BEST. Still young enough to listen to you, but not quite old enough to start being a smart a$$, although they seem to start being that at younger ages too.

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 17, 2008

LOL! I just saw this after my other post! I wouldn't want to touch middle school or HS, which is why I don't want general ed at all really. I stick w/ RSP & Speech. They're small grps of 2-6 kids for 30 min to 2 hrs.

28. teacher2028

teacher2028 Rookie

Oct 17, 2008

It will be up to you to decide. 1st isn't necessarily "not your place." My experience in the 2nd Grade and 3rd Grade has been that children of a young age are manageable ... after I learned the techniques. I know that may sound unhelpful; but what I want to say is that you can do it, you can turn it around with young ones pretty fast. I want to encourage you. You'll want to turn to some veteran first grade teachers (I'm not setting myself up as a veteran of any grade) and do what they recommend.

29. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

Do you think that maybe it is yer kids that you drive you nuts and not necessarily the grade? The reason I ask that is because I never wanted to teach K or 1. However, obviously you dont always get much of a choice! Last yr. was my 1st yr and I enjoyed it A LOT more than I thought. But last yr. I had a very good class. This yr. is a totally dif. story. The kids are wayyyy more immature, less responsible, very babied, etc. They drive me nuts! Mostly the boys tho, because 4 of them have ADHD and there are 2 that could probably be medicated. Nevertheless, I cherish every min. I get away from them. I honestly dont see how I get anything accomplished during the day because I am forever telling someone to pay attention, telling someone to stop touching someone else, telling someone to stop playing with something, etc. I still see pros to teaching 1st grade over other grades that I didnt see before, but it can be rough. I feel yer pain, but hopefully things will get better and they will mature *crosses fingers*

30. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 29, 2008

I am hoping they will mature soon! I think overall, I have a good group, and they are pretty high academically. They are great readers, writers and love math. I have a couple who struggle in one subject, but no one is across the board low. Behaviorally I have 3 boys who are fidgety, but I don't think it's outside the norm (no one on meds) and 3 kids who are criers! The sad thing is this is, according to everyone a "great" class and it's still not great to me... things get better each day, and the routines are more clear and they follow them better, but I just know the older ages is where it's at for me.

31. Gary Tree

Gary Tree New Member

Oct 29, 2008

Sorry to hear that

I'm sorry to hear that. I know the feeling. I have just begun a long term sub position in a middle school. What a workout that can be. And, quite often, the students are just short of hostile.

It really takes all the pleasure out of what I began 5 years ago and waited 35 years to complete.:dizzy:

32. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Oct 30, 2008

Thats def. understandable. I dont think I can teach 1st forever. I already see how impatient I can be with certain things, and I know when Im an old woman teaching it will be 10 times worse :lol:
    The one thing that I like about 1st is the fact that they are still little and the smallest things they enjoy..like getting stickers! Theyre not like older kids where you think you have impress them all the time. And I do think it's cool to see how much they learn because they do learn a lot and I think as a teacher it makes you feel really good..

33. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Oct 31, 2008

Hang in there Miss Froggy ..... 1st graders get much better after Christmas. I think Santa must sprinkle them with some sort of dust. Until then they are just glorified kindergartners whose ears don't work.