I am not an artistic person...

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by srfjeld, Mar 19, 2010.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Companion

Mar 19, 2010

but I would love to provide rich art lessons for my first graders. We haven't done much art this year but a few weeks ago I designated the last hour of the day on Fridays as art time. I've totally been winging it, throwing something together at the last minute. The first thing we did were abstract scribble art with watercolors. I had them put their black crayon to the paper and swirl it around for 20 seconds and then they were to use their watercolors to fill in the spaces they created, trying not to touch like colors. Last week we did a loose torn paper creation and today I'm having them do oil pastel self-portraits filling in the background with geometric shapes so that no white paper is showing. I'm really getting into this but I'd like to actually "teach" them about art as we're doing the lessons. I have found a couple of great blogs that I'm using but does anyone have any suggestions of great websites/blogs/books I can use to get a novice art teacher/artist started?

Thank you,

Stephanie

3. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Mar 20, 2010

artsonia.com is great for ideas
    Incredible art department is also a good website.

Go to your local library and look in the children's section on art. There will be idea books that relate to art history AND just books geared towards kids about art and artists. Getting to Know the World's Artists is a great series of books with funny cartoons.

Also look at your states education website and find out what the visual art standards are for first grade and that should help.

4. srfjeld

srfjeld Companion

Mar 20, 2010

Thank you... these tips are a great help. I work in a charter school that focuses on reading and math so there isn't a lot of time for arts in our tight schedules. We did oil pastel crayon portraits yesterday and they turned out beautiful!

5. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Mar 20, 2010

Even though your school might focus on reading and math there are GREAT ways to incorporate what you are reading into an art work.

My first graders just made their own imaginary Wocket sculptures, from the Dr. Seuss book There's a Wocket in my Pocket.

They did these amazing drawings inspired from their readingstreet series book, The Dot. Great way to talk about being an artist, what that means, imagination, creativity AND you can pull the history in with Pointalism and Seurat.

It's a shame your school doesn't seem to value the arts, but good luck in trying to get it in!