I am not a teacher, but I'm in need

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BadBrains, Aug 16, 2010.

1. BadBrains

BadBrains Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

I am not a teacher, but I'm in need of guidance

:help:

Hello,
    My name is Tyler, I am a 22 year old male.. And I for the most never got a proper education at all... Its a long story and i'll try to be short..

I was in a "Private religious home school" that my family put me and my siblings in, and well long story short, I didnt want to do the work for my own reasons and my parents werent strict enough for their reasons.. I won't blame anyone but myself here tho, even tho I wish my parents put me in public school so bad, but I can't change the past..

But now I am 22, just now realizing I want to get it all together, so I am trying to figure out where to start.. I've been going to an adult education GED prep center here in my town which has been nice to be in a class room and learn things.. But I my levels are so low, that the teachers are trying to teach me how to more less just memorize the methods for like lets say math I'll need to do to just pass the GED test..

So what I mean is, the classes are only 2 hours long, 2 days a week and the school is free so they can't give us books or really take very much time to help guide us.. other then teach us what to memorize, Which I appreciate so much, but I need more guidance.

I don't want to just pass the ged and stop there, I want to understand and master things. I want to go to a university someday.

So I've only been in the math class at the Adult Education school, and next is SA class, which.. I have never written a paper in my life. And My grammer and proper english/vocabulary is very poor.. I don't really understand the puncutation I am using right now really, other then the periods and exclimation points, and what only a noun is. Everything else I put is just from memory of what I've read and picked over the years.

I recently bought a book on amazon, called "All the math you'll ever need- A Self-teaching Guide by Steve Slavin" which i've only been in the first chapter, because I need to master the multipication facts before I can move on in the book.. But its gonna be nice to go on through this book. It doesn't teach math vocabulary tho and I really want to learn it all..

So why I am here is to kindly as for help from teachers.. I want to learn all the things I missed out on growing up by not going to school. Please help me.. there is so much information on the net and in so many books that I have no idea what I what I need to learn, like outside of math really, and even with math past basic I know NOTHING about.

I don't have money for tutors or a school at the moment, but If I find something that's affordable and looks promising, I will work my hardest to get it, I am not afraid to work hard, thats what I want to do actually.

I have so much more I wanna type, but It's all confusing.. I just wanna learn everything I missed out on, and be able to find something I enjoy learning/doing, and go on into higher education someday with confidence in myself and my brain power...

Its going to take A LOT of work, I already understand... But guidance twards what I need to work on is what I need. I am not looking for an easy way to get a quick GED title, I wanna learn things, apply them, and move on to higher education when the day comes...

This is my life, and its changing very much, for the good, and I hope there are teachers here that will be willing to share some info, tips or just guide me... You will help someone in need very much. And earn much respect from me.. I have a lot of props for people who want to teach others.. Learning and working hard are the best things for a human mind/life. I want to live like that myself now that I realize that..

I really hope to hear from someone. Best wishes everyone. Thanks for your time. -Tyler, 22, TN. :help:

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 16, 2010

I have to say congratulations on taking the first step towards improving your future. If you were in Maine I would tutor you for free. I'm sure there are some websites out there that can help you out a lot.

4. BadBrains

BadBrains Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

Thanks for the reply JamieMarie, I wish I was in Maine. Here's my problem, there are so many web sites, hundreds.. So I dunno where to start.. I dunno even know what I should have learned in public school. I need like a curiculum (I think thats the word).

5. BadBrains

BadBrains Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

My post is so long because I am hoping someone can see how much this means to me.. Because I feel ashamed of my past and how lazy i've been, but I hope someone can see how I want to change it all, learn, work hard, learn, work hard, learn, work hard and learn. Its never to late to straighten up and fly right.. So I can deal with all the anxiety and shame, Because its just a part of the hard work I gotta put forth.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2010

You don't have 'bad brains' just a deficient education history....and that is not your fault. I commend you on seeking out learning...we are here for you. Check in when you have specific questions. Stay the course.:hugs:

7. BadBrains

BadBrains Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

Thanks Czacza, The name actually is how I used to think about myself, its a personal joke to me now because I never tried hard and yeah the chance wasnt there then.

But I guess my specific question is: How do I figure out what I missed from not going to public school, Where do I start, and what do I get.. I get sick when I think about where to start, cuz I dunno. I guess I need to look into finding tutors maybe.. But I'd just like to know what I need to do.. I can handle all the hard work. I'd actually be excited to have some kind of schedule full of many subjects, like a public school.

I looked into a K-12 online highschool program, but you have to finished the courses and pass all the tests before turning 21, and I am 22 now so thats no good for me. Is there maybe somewhere that offers all the classes but no diploma? thanks for the replys so far everyone.. I won't give up.

8. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 16, 2010

I think you need to narrow everything down and set goals. Maybe start with parts of speech and multiplication facts, then add to that: division and structuring paragraphs. Baby steps. It is so great that you want to build on your skills, but remember that you are going to make baby steps at first and not to expect giant leaps. With this willpower, you are sure to go to a great university and have everything you want. Good luck!

9. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 16, 2010

just want to add that you can look up your states education standards to find what you are looking for.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2010

Hi and welcome!!!

I think you've chosen exactly the right path-- a GED.

But, beyond that, you could take a look at Adult Ed in your local public school district. I know that ours offers a pretty wide variety of courses, some academic, some not.

But getting that GED will open the doors to your community college, and that's bound to be the next step.

Also, for what it's worth: your grammar is so much better than so many people who DO have that high school diploma (and quite a few with a college degree.) That's an incredibly important thing. That you were able to piece it together without the benefit of having formally learned it says volumes about your native intelligence!!!!

Above all, cut yourself some slack. There's no race here; you'll get your degree when you get your degree. My brother in law, for reasons we won't go into here, doesn't have his GED either. He's a wonderful person, and an avid reader of history, but his life took a path that didn't lead to a high school diploma. Now, nearing 50, he finds that it's simply too hard to go back and learn all the material on the exam, though he's tried several times.

You're not alone out there!!!

11. BadBrains

BadBrains Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

Thanks SunnyReader, Kind words, and that second post may be very helpful. Because I baby steppin' is golden for me. I am very ignorant when it comes to it all. So I will try and look for standards.. But like I said, I'd like to do more then just pass tests and get titles or papers.. For me its 100% about having knowledge and understanding things for myself, and yes finding something I can do for income someday and guild a future of of.

Baby Steps indeed tho.. Thanks again... Any and all info and replys mean a lot to me.. And can help more then you all know.

12. BadBrains

BadBrains Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

Thanks Aclicia for ur kind reply, I'd like to meet ur bro in law and other people that know whats up. But I appreciate your words, I agree its not a race and I will for sure take my time.. I still want to get things rolling, and I don't feel conifdent I'm on to the right path yet. But I emailed one of our local high schools and also a Commuinity college close to here asking if they had any info or programs for me..

I feel like I'd like to someday do make even just a website that has a general plan and where to start guide for people like myself... Maybe someday if I work hard enough I can help guide people that no nothing of the school/educational system and what needs to be learned to be able to understand things and go on to other stuff...

Maybe something like this is already out there. But so far I've just found tons of sites that have the info, but its hard for me to figure out where to start. Like a Kindergardener almost, trying to figure out how to be a teacher. Thanks so much for the reply.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 16, 2010

Okay, here's your plan:

You have a starting point. That starting point is your GED curriculum. The instructors are pushing memorization and "pass the test", but you can do more than that on your own time. Take each topic, in order, and find additional resources to expand on what your GED program is asking you to do.

Contact your local community college. Many of them have programs, often grant funded, that will help adults obtain their GED's. They frequently have more resources than GED programs run by the public school system or private entities.

If you manage to get your GED and you're still not satisfied with your depth of understanding, enroll in community college instead of in University. The focus of CC's is on teaching and learning, as opposed to Universities, who's focus is usually on research. CC's tend to have more resources allocated to struggling and under prepared students. In addition, they usually have more intense college preparatory programs for the students who have graduated from HS or have their GED's, but who are not quite ready for college level work.

I know this must all seem overwhelming. The questions you pose are very general, and it's difficult to be of much help when the questions are that broad. I think we would be better able to guide you if you came back with a specific question or questions, and asked us for opinions on more narrow topics.

For example, lets say you're having trouble with parts of speech. You could tell us that you're working on that, and you've found websites A, B, and C, and what your end goals are, and which site do we think is best. Does that make sense?

Lastly, I want to congratulate you for taking this step. It's huge, and it's going to take a lot of work. I also want to caution you to slow down. I know you want to know everything right now, but it takes years in a traditional setting for students to learn all this stuff. As an adult, you'll probably be able learn it faster than the traditional 13 years, but it also won't happen overnight. Remember the lesson of the Tortoise and the Hare. Slow and steady wins the race.

14. BadBrains

BadBrains Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

MMSWM,

Thanks for the long reply, You hit the spot actually.. I'm even not sure how to reply. but you have givin' me something to read over and again.. Like a general idea of things in a more serious view. I understand also its hard to really help me out with my questions since its more of a short story with a lack of needed questions, more just facts about myself.. But you're reply is awesome and I will make sure I understand more what you said, and try and go forward with it all in mind..

Patience is gonna have to be trained more as well, and I am glad you said its possible to learn things that most stretch out over 13 years in public schools.. But It'll all be good if I can figure out what I want to learn then, like you said.. Take what the GED prep school is showing me, and master the heck out of it in my own time..

One other thing is that they only have like 4-5 things you need to be tested on to get the GED, but maybe a CC will offer other subjects and classes that I will be interested in...

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your replys, I will apply all your advice and kind words the best I can and keep moving forward. It feels really good when I understand new things... I already know I am addicted to learning new things.

Thanks everyone.. I will maybe post soon with some questions that will be easier to help with, but I am still not sure what my plan is.. but I'm not afraid to ask for advice from experience people such as you all...

Thanks for your time and wisdom people,
    Not sure how to word how much it means to me. But you're all teachers eh? I'm sure the feeling of helping people understand and learn things is why you do what you do.. Keep up the good work and kindness everyone.

Everythings a lesson.

15. robinsky

robinsky Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

Good for you for wanting to improve your knowledge! It sounds like you are feeling overwhelmed with all there is to learn. I would start by looking into your local community college. I know the one near me has VERY basic classes - basic arithmetic, basic English, etc. And the cost is usually low. Once you are enrolled, you can ask the teachers for the help you need. I would start with basic math and English classes.

I just looked up a Tennessee community college - here's an example of a basic math course: https://deit.southwest.tn.edu/syllabus/view/1101/ .

Good luck to you!

16. BadBrains

BadBrains Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

Thanks Robinsky!

I will actually look into that site you linked more.. They have online courses? I'll find out... But thanks for ur reply.

You know, even lack of social skills is going to be a challenge. But honestly, I do not have a problem with being un-traditional. But It's all going to be nice once I get a sort of schedule and work to do. I don't even want breaks from learning, not for awhile at least.. lol,

Kudo's to you all for kindness and support.

You all have respect from me for that

17. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Aug 16, 2010

Where are you located in TN?

18. BadBrains

BadBrains Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

Murfreesboro TN.

19. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

Do you have a middle school that you could help by tutoring or be a helper in the classroom? You would be surprised what you can learn by observing. I know that our 6th grade teacher would love for you to join her classroom to help. Your story would make for an awesome lesson for some kids. I can think of many students you could help motivate! It may give you some confidence you didn't even realize you had!

20. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2010

I think the tutoring in the middle schools and/or elementary schools could give you a lot of opportunity to build your knowledge. I know when I have had volunteers of your age in my class I have enjoyed it because they usually are willing to do most anything and the children really like it.

21. BadBrains

BadBrains Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

Were the volunteers drop outs wanting to learn? :) Thanks for the replys

22. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Aug 17, 2010

Here's some information on adult education and GED prep in Tennessee: http://www.state.tn.us/labor-wfd/AE/

Best of luck on your journey. It sounds like you've made some pretty impressive goals for yourself and your strong desire to keep moving forward will help you a lot.

23. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2010

What have you been doing these past few years before going for your GED...working?

How are your sibling coping? Are they on this venture for the GED with you? (Just curious, that would be great if you had someone to work with you while going through it!)

Best of luck!

24. BadBrains

BadBrains Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

Working and also making a lot of mistakes. A lot of life lessons. As far as my family, they arent to good for support with this. They are very relgious and don't believe education should be put before other things. I am very tired right now so maybe I am not explaining well.. But they my siblings all got their dilploma's through the private home school.. But they never did the work either for the most part.. I won't say much more because thats their buisness, but I have to do everything for myself is what I mean.. I have a wonderful girlfriend that supports me more then anyone else I've ever known.. So it'll all be ok.. I will never give up.

Thanks for the reply everyone.

25. BadBrains

BadBrains Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

I do not in any blame anyone but myself at this point for the past, but its all good because its already behind me, so gotta deal with it and find my path. I am glad I found this forum, You have all been very helpfull..

Thank you all for your replies so far.

26. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2010

I think by being capable of communicating this the way you did shows how intelligent you really are. God only knows what you could do with a good education. Your spelling is remarkably well and the way you say things is quite good.

Sometimes community colleges have G.E.D. type classes that are better than those offered at the local high school. Call a guidance couselor there and ask.

I applaud you for realizing your mistakes and trying to fix them - especially at an age when we don't normally think very much about our future.

I'll tell you I was a great student, but was rebellious and dropped out of school at 18 (12th grade highest in school - but hated my stepfather and wanted to leave) anyways, 2 years passed, got pregnant and only then did I realize that I didn't want to live on minimum wage AND I knew I was capable of so much more. I began community college at 20 and 8 1/2 months pregnant. I graduated with my Bachelor's after 3 years and now have a Master's in Education.

Sometimes life has a funny way of carrying out your destiny. If it's truly what you want you must continue on until you reach your goal. You certainly sound MORE than capable.

Good luck

27. kfhsdramaqueen

kfhsdramaqueen Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

Have you talked to a local high school?

I don't know if someone has said this, as I didn't read all the posts, but have your tried contacting your local high school. They may be able to 1) Give you a curriculum outline so you know what you did miss. 2) They may be able to introduce you to a teacher who can help you more one on one, or maybe several teachers. 3) Their guidance department may know some free or reduced price tutoring programs. It's worth a shot.

28. BadBrains

BadBrains Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

Skittleroo

Thanks for sharing ur story.. Pregnancy and schooling Props for that. And I appreciate ur kind words of support.

kfhsdramaqueen

I will am going to try a commuinity college first, then a highschool. I am deffinately gonna contact some schools asap..

I appreciate all ur replys.. I wish I could meet some of you and talk over things haha, but I cannot so I'll sort things out on my own, using your replys as guide's.. Thanks so much everyone..

Your time and words you give show you love to help others learn.. I respect you all for that.. Best wishes everyone.

29. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Aug 17, 2010

Skittle, that is truly amazing. I can't imagine how sleep deprived you were for a few years.

You literally beat a stacked deck in today's world.

Kudos.

30. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Aug 17, 2010

I just saw your message and that you are in Middle Tennessee, have you looked into the Cohn Adult High School in Nashville, TN? I don't know much about it, but if it's near by you may want to call them up. It seems to accept adults of all ages in a fairly traditional high school setting.

31. BadBrains

BadBrains Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

I looked over the site briefly.. But I already know Nashville is to far away as far as gas goes.. Although there are busses from my town to nashville daily for very very cheap so I will try and contact them and see if they accept people like myself..

Thanks for the reply and the info! All of your advice and info is very helpful. It would be nice to have people like you all in person to help guide with all this, hopefully I'll find that at one of my local schools like you all suggest.. Thanks everyone!

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2010

Also, when you get the chance,think about picking up this book:
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Do...2&USRI=don't+know+much+about+american+history

It's a great introduction to American history, and incredibly entertaining and easy to read. I don't know whether it will help you pass a history test, but it presents a nice overview of a lot of the people and stories many of us learned about in high school. I re-read it this summer, just for fun-- and I teach math, not history :)

33. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 17, 2010

I don't have any advice for you, the previous posters have done a gretat job in that area... but I did want to tell you good luck. Please stick around and let us know how it's going. We'll help you in any way we can. Major props to you for even attempting it!

34. BadBrains

BadBrains Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

Thanks everyone!