I am male but want to work in elementary education

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Pen4Pencil, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Pen4Pencil

Pen4Pencil Rookie

Oct 17, 2016

Hi everyone. I am a male student who has to choose one of three programs; elementary education, special education, or secondary education.
    I really love elementary education. I have been volunteering/working with students K-5 since I was 14 years old. I especially love the lower primary grades Kindergarten to 2nd grade. The 3 schools that I have been helping at have told me that I have a knack for younger kids.
    However, I am worried about the possibilities of finding a job. Every one tells me that each year the amount of elementary male teachers is falling. Does that mean that school do not want to hire them for some reason?
    I would love to teach elementary students, but I know that my passion will not account to much if I do not find a job. And I do know that in high schools in the surrounding districts, there are many male teachers.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2016

Male elementary teachers are in high demand almost everywhere. There are many, many children who need a strong male role model. I would get lots of experience on your resume while you are in school. That will show schools how serious you are. The male elementary teachers I have worked with have been phenomenal!

MrsC and RussianBlueMommy like this.
  4. Pen4Pencil

Pen4Pencil Rookie

Oct 17, 2016

Thanks. This year I am working as a preschool assistant. Hopefully that will give me an edge on my resume instead of just the volunteer positions I had. Due to lack of funds the assistant position will be terminated at the beginning of the new year. However, I am sure that they will give me a great recommendation.

5. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Oct 17, 2016

Absolutely agree with this. The ones I know are absolutely awesome!

6. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 17, 2016

If you feel that your passion is elementary, then go there. Follow your dreams. I know why you feel hesitant. I am also a male. I graduated in the Winter 2016 semester with an elementary degree. I started looking for jobs. I sent out applications for each job I found. Out of 216 applications sent out in my home state of Michigan, I got only 7 interviews and no job offer.
    I grew discouraged and lost faith. But I decided to take advantage of the fact that I had taken CSET exams in addition to MTTC. I sent out 19 applications to Californian schools, and I got 4 interviews. I went and got a job offer in every single interview. Now I have the privilege of teaching first grade.
    If you go into elementary education, you have to make sure to let your passion shine. Show that you want to be there and love what you are doing. I think it is awesome that you want to teach in lower primary grades. Good luck in your college plans!

Ed4Life and Pen4Pencil like this.
  7. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Oct 21, 2016

Being male really isn't a factor in obtaining a job in elementary. It all has to do with abundance of jobs in the area you are looking in and how well you interview along with what you bring to the table.

8. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Nov 5, 2016

My experience was that males get an advantage over women in ElEd. I mean, it sure seems like women are a dime a dozen in elementary, so a man, especially one aiming for lower grades, would stand out. As long as you have the skill, I think you should have no problem.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 5, 2016

I think being a male might help you get the interview and in tough markets, that's quite a feat. You'll still have to be a good candidate to get hired but that is as how it should be.

I wish more males would go into the younger grades. Currently, I have a lot of students with a male role models but that's not always the case.

10. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Nov 5, 2016

Agreed with what everyone else has said. In my district, there are lots of kids lacking a male role model and they respond really well to the male teachers and support staff. Being male might not guarantee you a job, but it would most likely get you out of the pile of applications and in an interview room and give you an edge over an equally qualified, liked candidate.

11. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 9, 2016

I've been told by veteran teachers and officials that being a male teacher is some sort of guarantee of employment. I don't know about that at all, considering how difficult it was for me to get an interview, let alone a job opportunity. I will say that being a man is well less 10:1... you have to get used to being the lone ranger.