I am "just" a teacher. Are you?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Chevygirl97, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

I'm not sure there IS a fix.

In college, I took lots and lots of math classes, lots and lots of education, and a few other classes.

Some of the math classes were HARD.
    Some of the other classes were challenging.
    The education classes were, without exception, easy.

In thinking about it, I think I understand why: no one has figured out how to teach someone to teach. So we learned about how other people have taught. And educational psychology, on the off chance that something there might help. And some methods courses about some approaches that work for some people.

But none of those courses covered the hard part of teaching: how to become a good teacher. I think I've learned a lot of it along the way, but I think that becoming a good teacher is something you learn by doing.

So I think some of the cracks about education coursework are probably justified; I know that no education course I ever took was even as hard as NonEuclidean Geometry, and that was one of the "fun" math classes.

But I don't think that anyone who hasn't taught has any clue of how hard the job can be. They think they do, but they're wrong.

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2007

(snickering)

Yeah, and Bush the younger will win the Pulitzer Prize for the eloquence of his speeches...

Cuuuute, Dave.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2007

Alice, where and how do you think education majors should be learning how to think and reason critically?

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2007

Wow there a lot of us who are "just" teachers with "just" cops for hubbies (mine chose to be a corrections officer instead of going on the road with his dept) oh, he is also "just" a military reservist....which I tell you gets all kinds of crap now days....people want to know if he supports the war and all that,.....then go off about how they feel. Yikes, some people just need to learn to mind their own business.

In reality, it doesn't matter how much you make. My hubbie wanted to be a cop since he was a kid, I wanted to be teacher since I was a kid. We are BOTH DOING IT. Even better, we both love our jobs. How much better can it get????? So in the satisfaction department I will be just a teacher for the rest of my life!

5. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

In math class 2+2=4 in the real number system. Measurable.
    in Science class Na + Cl makes salt. Measurable.
    In Social studies class the Bomb is dropped on Hiroshima. Measurable.
    In reading class Julius Caesar says "Et tu, Brute?" Measurable.

In education class we teach but do they learn? Measurable?

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2007

Well, I think that ideally someone would have learned that in high school.I would hate to think that those skills were saved for education classes; they're needed by all adults, regardless of profession. Somewhere between "2+2=4" and the Senior Prom, I'm hoping that all kids are exposed to some reasoning skills. Hopefully, they learn a little bit doing geometric proofs. And hopefully all those "compare/contrast" and other assorted essays they have to write are doing the job.

7. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 29, 2007

Here, here!!!:D :up:

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 30, 2007

Actually, according to the professor I have had (for methods courses), we are supposed to begin the process of teaching students how to think and reason critically (i.e., Bloom's taxonomy / higher order questions/thinking) at the elementary level -- even at the kindergarten level, according to the so called experts. That doesn't "jive" with what I have learned about child development, though, because kindergarteners and 1st graders haven't reached the stage of development where they can think outside of themselves yet. Oh, well. just my :2cents:

9. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

i come from a family of nurses, doctors and business-owners. i'm the black sheep... and i make at least half of what my cousins make. but when their kids are struggling with writing their name or how to do their spanish homework, i'm the one they call. i expected a lot of that "just" a teacher business from other people, and was surprised by how many people commented on how difficult and honorable my career was. we can command a room of twenty-something little ones (or when it's morning duty, upwards of 60!)... most people wouldn't do that in their worst nightmare. we teach kids how to read. we're sometimes the only positive adult they interact with all week that doesn't think they're dumb. don't take other people's ignorance to heart. you know that every year you deeply affect a small group of people that might someday change the world. never forget that!

10. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

Couldn't have said it better myself! :clap:

11. Bridget

Bridget Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

This past December I was just finishing up my student teaching placements. This particular story happened the Sunday prior to my last week of student teaching in 1st grade. I was walking with a friend (whose mother is a 3rd grade teacher). I had just mentioned that I'm thankful that I don't have final exams like the rest of campus because I just had a very busy and stressful semester of student teaching. Her answer...a smirk, laugh, and then "Please Bridget, all you've done is play with kids all semester..." It's really sad and discouraging to hear what some people think of teachers. Especially when it's close friends who had spent a great deal of time watching you complete the EL. Ed. program, prepare lessons, grade papers, deal with parents, and cry because you have absolutely no idea what to do anymore with one specific student.

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2007

Yous guy want me to take care of dem guys whos thinkn yous is only a teacher, day could be a sleepn wit da fishes by morning

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2007

My reply "AND I PLAY ROUGH, just ask the kids, I am the best player. They pick me first CAN YOU say that?"

14. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

The reply should be: "Well, are you willing to do it?"

15. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

I've always disliked people who use the expression "Oh, you're ONLY a ....". :mad: There's no such thing as being only a teacher, police officer, electrician, bus driver. As long as a job is done with honour and to the best of one's ability, it deserves everyone's respect.
    I love the following story. I have no idea whether it's true or not, but the sentiment expressed surely is.

WHAT TEACHERS MAKE

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?" He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

To stress his point he said to another guest; "You're a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?"

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You want to know what I make? (She paused for a second, the began...)

"Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could. I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor. I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 without an I Pod, Game Cube or movie rental...

You want to know what I make?" (She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table.)

I make kids wonder.
    I make them question.
    I make them criticize.
    I make them apologize and mean it.
    I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.
    I teach them to write and then I make them write.
    I make them read, read, read.
    I make them show all their work in math.
    I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity.
    I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.
    Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.

Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.) "Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant...You want to know what I make?

I MAKE A DIFFERENCE. What do you make?

:clap:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2007

I rise to my feet and applaud :clap: :clap: shouting "bravo, bravo, encore, encore":2up: :woot:

17. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

The next question is usually, " And what do you teach?" I always want to say, "Children...duh". But, that isn't always nice so when I reply, "Special Education" peaople usually ask me, "Why?" ARE YOU FREAKIN' SERIOUS??? Why are you a nurse? Why are you a dentist?

I wish people would realize its not about the money...its about what we do. I love my "Special" Kiddies.

And, its also not about the summers off....I spend more time in my summers worrying, working, planning and going to school than I do during the school year!

It's about making a difference... doctors are a dime a dozen in today's society...great teachers are a rariety.

18. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2007

I have found that many teachers (in elementary grades for sure)
    are not much into politics, political debate, etc. For what its worth
    many on the right in talk radio badmouth public ed. constantly.
    According to most of them we have this agenda of liberalizing children toward all the things they deem deviant. Read the editorial page or listen to any of the many hate mongers on talk radio to find out what public schools "really" teach. Is it any wonder about the disrespect and disdain teachers recieve?

19. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2007

Hmmm what I really teach? Heck I'd like to know, because I am just in it for the paycheck.

20. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2007

Let me see if I believe you, you stayed after school to tutor kids in math while you were the SHOP teacher.........

Yeah, what kind of paycheck would that be, the payoff of seeing a kid succeed? You cannot turn that into real money you know, no matter how hard you try.......Im just saying :toofunny:

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

No, I think he's questioning what he's really teaching this year :)

Shop?? Math 7?? Math 8?? Honors? Spanish?? Psychology???

22. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 31, 2007

We start teaching our infants critical thinking skills. Just because they're in the ego centric & pre operational phases of development doesn't mean they can't think critically (ever watched an infant try to work a shape sorter?). You just ask a lot of open-ended questions and provide stimulating, challenging experiences instead of feeding them information.

On another note, I agree that education classes are a piece of cake. Becoming a teacher is easy... remaining one is what's hard!

23. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2007

No Matter what I will teach I will do a hell of a job
    or is that
    No Matter what I will teach it's a job from hell?

BTW you forgot Sex ED

24. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2007

Funny I found it just the opposite: education classes were hard. Becoming a teacher was hard... remaining one is a piece of cake!

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2007

It is this attitude that makes a great teacher! :up:

26. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Aug 2, 2007

I'm becoming a teacher late in life - I'm 43. This is what I've always wanted to do, but my dad was so against it. He always said those that can do, blah, blah, blah, you're so smart you can do better...

My favorite job so far was doing substance abuse counseling/education with adolescents, and that's when I knew I should have been a teacher. We moved to Texas and I went into real estate. I just recently realized that I'm not getting any younger and if I want to teach I need to get busy.

I've had several comments from people questioning why I'd give up real estate to make less money teaching, but I'm secure in the knowledge that this is what I am supposed to be doing.

27. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 2, 2007

AmBritLit:
    Welcome to the 2nd or 3rd career club! We have a thread in another area of the site in which we are discussing the way we decided to teach late in life (I am almost 45), why we waited, and several aspects of the process in which we are now involved! You sound committed, eager, and creative, all of which will serve you well as a teacher!

28. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Thanks, I would love the 2nd /3rd career thread. I really am

excited about teaching.

29. alight426

alight426 New Member

Aug 2, 2007

I am lucky and my parents always wanted me to do something I loved and encouraged me to pursue teaching. My mom always told me that making a lot of money won't make me happy or give me the pride that I would feel when my students succeed.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2007

I think I would phrase it this way: "Becoming a teacher is easy... becoming a good teacher is hard."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.