I am "just" a teacher. Are you?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Chevygirl97, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

Those are great and all true! Where did you find them, I would love to have a copy. A friend of mine is a methods teacher and the last one (teacher description) would be great to use in class. Did you create it or did you find it somewhere else? I would need to provide her with documentation for the source.

The mom and dad descriptions are perfect!

Thanks!

2. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

Be right back

3. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

JOB TITLE: GRANDPARENT

JOB PURPOSE: SUPPORTS DEVELOPMENT OF A RESPONSIBLE ADULT by
    relating family history; supporting social growth; improving life skills; contributing to a positive family environment; providing overnights, outings, and vacations; dining out; allowing special treats; supporting discipline; keeping safe; supporting parents; giving lots of hugs; spoiling just a little.

RELATES FAMILY HISTORY by
    1. recounting family events; looking at photographs, movies, journals, records, and diaries; describing and explaining traditions; drawing a family tree.

SUPPORTS GRANDCHILDREN’S SOCIAL GROWTH by
    2. providing overnights, outings, and vacations; explaining hobbies and interests; visiting museums and special exhibits; going to the movies; dining out; allowing treats like ice cream and candy.

IMPROVES GRANDCHILDREN’S LIFE SKILLS by
    3. participating and conducting developmental activities; promoting curiosity; reinforcing a moral code; modeling acceptable behavior; reinforcing coping skills; pointing out appropriate and inappropriate behaviors.

CONTRIBUTES TO A POSITIVE FAMILY CLIMATE by
    4. loving unconditionally; keeping in touch; watching for signs of psychological stress; providing comfort; respecting privacy; listening to concerns; offering assistance; pointing out resolutions; preparing family activities; minimizing depressing thoughts; avoiding conflict; teaching lessons about honesty, empathy, jealousy, self-reliance, cooperation, self-control, competition, sharing, cheerfulness, and kindness; recognizing differences among family members; nurturing self-esteem; maintaining open communication; making time to talk; playing games; expressing interest in grandchildren’s activities; finding things to laugh about; giving lots of hugs.

SUPPORTS DISCIPLINE by
    5. supporting and enforcing parental guidelines; addressing behaviors instead of personalities; not butting in.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2007

Thanks for this one too, Irishdave! This describes my dad as a "Papa" perfectly. I need to print this off to add to some remembrances.

5. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I am in the same boat... when people ask me so what are you going to do? And I say I am going to be an elementary teacher...they of course say....Ohhhh just a teacher, but do you plan on being just a teacher...or do you plan to change careers? It makes me feel horrible like if I am worth less....but it is what I want to do and I am hoping our pay will increase to give us more respect.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2007

ROFL, Dave! I should not have doubted you. I stand corrected!:lol:
    By the way, just what is a woot, anyway? :woot:

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

From It's A Wonderful Life (1946)

As George stumbles down the steps of Ma Bailey's Boarding House after his mother has shut him out, his confused, desperate and horrified face is viewed in a tremendous close-up. Clarence wisely shows George how much his life has mattered, and he begins to understand the differences his absence made in others and himself: "Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives, and when he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?"

This is what we teachers do............much like George Bailey

8. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 24, 2007

I LOOOOOVE THAT MOVIE! I also like the ending....the man who thought he was a nothing "Here's to George Bailey, the RICHEST man in town!"

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

Ohh, sometimes I just hate talking with my sister. She has never had a positive relationship with her childrens' teachers. Her kids are smart, but VERY lazy. The do not work to their potential--it's obvious. When the teachers wanted to conference with her (every year I might add) that the boys aren't performing and are struggling, my sister takes it personally and takes it as a personal attack.

Almost every time we talk she talks about the terrible teachers and how dare they criticize her parenting style and "don't those teachers know anything?" "Can you believe <<<< teacher said this?"

Argh--frustrating.

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

Just say "I think there is a pattern developing"

11. terptoteacher

Jul 24, 2007

Yeah,....ya think????
    Of course I can't tell her anything since I'm "just" a teacher and I'm her LITTLE sister.

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

Break the mold, grab her by the arm and look in her eyes and tell her how you feel ............

Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Old fashioned chick fight sister vs sister Tickets, Tickets, Tickets, Old fashioned chick fight sister vs sister

I do get the ticket rights don't I ?

I was an older brother I could grab my sister by the arm and ....(but she would kick me..... yes there :eek:hmy: )

13. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 25, 2007

Those were exactly my thoughts when I read this thread. This is proof that there are people out there who feel so awful about themselves that the only way to pick themselves up is to put others down. What a way to live.
    Good thing there are teachers out there who's goal is to teach children what self worth is really about.

14. terptoteacher

Jul 25, 2007

tee hee....chick fight....I'd totally kick her behind since I've got 20 pounds on her--plus I was a tomboy and she was a book worm!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, she has such a low self esteem and if someone says anything negative about her boys, she sees it as if she's a failure. She is so wrapped up in their identities that she can't see that the teacher just wants to help her children.

15. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Jul 25, 2007

Thanks...loved this article. :2up: Very satisfying!

16. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Jul 25, 2007

Amen brother! On all three accounts... :2up:

17. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Jul 25, 2007

woot = expression of self satisfaction or congratulations :D

18. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2007

This is a great article but how do we get the powers to be to READ the darn thing?

19. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2007

When I am asked what I do for a living I quote Christa McAuliffe
    "I touch the future. I teach."

20. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I know what you mean...my best friend told me the other day that she didn't understand why teachers complain about the pay. Her points were compared to others jobs in the area it seems on par and that teachers do get summers off and good benefits. I reminded her that she doesn't even want to be with her own kids 8 hours a day... would she want to be with someone else's kids for an entire day? Her response was no. I told her that is what makes teachers so valuable. We really want to be with them, whereas, everyone else is looking for somewhere to leave them.

Ignore the person with the bad comments. I have a friend who made the "You won't make much money in teaching" comment just yesterday. I followed that with, "well, it's a good thing I don't judge job fulfillment on money alone." He is miserable, I am not. tough! Our conversation followed with him telling me he feels stretch thin - just paid for a honeymoon, owns 3 houses, and a plane. So I asked him "Do you own your possessions or do they own you?" He responded with, "right now, they own me." So I told him, I'd rather have less and not deal with the responsibilities of wealth. I am happy and not in enormous debt, unlike him who makes more money! He seemed to get my drift.

21. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Girlfriend,

you and your husband have chosen some of the most noble professions to be a part of. And the sacrifice it takes to be good at those jobs requires immense commitment.

What you should feel sorry for is how naive and self-centered that person is (sorry I had to). You are changing hundreds of lives at a time, that is something to write home about, and THAT should let you sleep peacefully at night. :up:

22. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

oh Amen to that!

23. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2007

Here are some feel good quotes

I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework. ~Lily Tomlin as "Edith Ann"
    The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called "truth." ~Dan Rather
    Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions. ~Author Unknown
    A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops. ~Henry Brooks Adams
    Good teachers are costly, but bad teachers cost more. ~Bob Talbert
    The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. ~William Arthur Ward
    Teaching is not a lost art, but the regard for it is a lost tradition. ~Jacques Barzun
    When you teach your son, you teach your son's son. ~The Talmud
    A teacher should have maximal authority, and minimal power. ~Thomas Szaz
    To teach is to learn twice. ~Joseph Joubert, Pensées, 1842
    Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task. ~Haim G. Ginott

24. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Jul 25, 2007

Irishdave, you forgot my very favorite teacher quote of all.

"In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
    teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something less."
    ~~Lee Iacocca

25. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2007

Good one

26. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2007

Nice way to conclude the discussion, I would say. People like that do not deserve the time it takes for our feelings to be hurt.

27. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

brilliant dave...brilliant. i think too many people have forgotten about her

28. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 25, 2007

and what is this woman? It seems she is comparing other people to, well, other people. What about herself? She obviously has some issues with needing to feel significant. I guess she is JUST a critical, meddlesome lady.

29. classemom

classemom Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

I went to the Vet the other day and had on my T-Shirt that says, "College of Education-Dean's List 2005-2006", the Vet Tech there also graduated from the same University, and said, hey...I made the Dean's list and I don't have a shirt like that...and then we decided that it was probably just something that the College of Ed did...and then (here it comes) he said, "Oh, well...Mine was harder anyway....Biology!"
    Can you believe that? I didn't know what to say....I rambeled off something about, "Yea, but I work with kids!"

Anyway....I was shocked...and I am never very good at comebacks...

30. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2007

I would have said something like "and look where it got you a Vet tech a 2 year program at the Community College you could have saved some money." but I am a nasty old man and I blame it on being "SeeNile"

31. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

Unfortunately, my husband and I always get snarky remarks about our careers. He is in the Marine Corps, going on 14 years now and is very successful. Still people ask him when he plans to get out and get a "real" job, or they will say that he is "just" in the military. I get the same thing with teaching. I honestly felt like I got a tiny bit more respect when I was a middle school teacher. Now that I teach elementary, I don't feel the love. My sister has a Bachelors degree in communications, but she works in the business/computer field...she graduated about 8 years ago. In those 8 years, without having to take additional courses, getting to travel the world, being able to work at home when needed, she has seen her income triple. She currently makes 3 times what I do has a teacher with 6 years experience. To top it all off, her corporation is willing to foot the bill when she is ready to go back to school for her MBA...ALL OF IT! I can get reimbursed for $750 of education expenses per year. That isn't even one whole grad class. UGH! I love to hear all of my friends getting so excited because the school year is about to start. They cannot even stand 2 1/2 months at home with their children, yet I get 25-30 kids for 7 hours a day all school year and I enjoy it :)

32. classemom

classemom Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

33. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2007

In the future let this be your guide when someone says "Just a teacher" give them Indifference

Indifference​
    It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile,
    but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

34. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Jul 28, 2007

Interesting article. I have to agree. Teachers are indeed overpaid for what they do.

35. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Jul 28, 2007

Man, 60 hours a week? What am I getting myself into? :eek:

36. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Jul 28, 2007

Chevygirl,
    Ironic, my husband is cop as well! :)

I think it's funny when individuals like your friends Mom stare down the noses of the people who create, keep and maintain society in general. How about all those teachers who taught her daughter the skills she needed to become a nurse? I guess they were "just" teachers huh? Despite the fact that the helped her daughter become what she is today.

I'm a firm believer that none of us are "just" our professions. Whether your a teacher, a cop, a firefighter, a sales clerk, etc...you make a difference whether you know it or not.

37. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2007

Whenever someone disses my career choice I think to myself,
    they must be jealous!

38. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I just graduated with my bachelors degree. Anyway I have finished
    college ahead of many of my high school classmates and friends (even some who graduated high school before me).

Well I was talking to a friend, his girlfriend is almost 2 years older than me and is still working on her bachelors degree in mechanical engineering.

When I told him I had graduated he replied with, "Well your job is a lot easier than hers. And your classes were so easy. Anyone could graduate in four years."

That made me so mad!

By the way I am "just" a teacher and my husband is "just" a cop too. And we are both so happy and love our careers!

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2007

I think students of mechanical engineering, or pre-law or pre-veterinary studies or architecture or Russian language and literature, expect their classes to be rigorous academically and not just in terms of the sheer time commitment. And though it will get me in very hot water to say so, seems to me there's an issue there in education that needs to be addressed. But as for the job itself, there's no way that teaching, if done properly, is easier than these.

40. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

I have to disagree. "teaching, if done properly, is easier than these" since we improve as we go, we get better and the job gets easier every year,
    WHY because we are teachers
    (cue the Superman music)

:rofl: :2up: :toofunny: :2up: :rofl:
    now since I have taught 34 years I just show up
    and my classes teach themselves
    :rofl: :2up: :toofunny: :2up: :rofl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.