I am "just" a teacher. Are you?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Chevygirl97, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 24, 2007

My husband and I ran into a childhood friend of mine and her pretentious mother tonight at Pottery Barn. I haven't seen these people in YEARS. It was a half hour of "my daughter the nurse with a MA/my future son-in-law the DR." I got a "Ohh..you're JUST a teacher?" My absolutely wonderful, loving, supportive husband who has already helped numerous people in his career got "Ohh..you're JUST a police officer?" (My old friend was visibly embarrassed. I felt bad for her. She just wanted to fine tune her wedding registry....!)

We both got in the car and were kinda, I don't know...bummed? I know I cannot let people make me feel inferior without my consent (thank you, Eleanor Roosevelt!) but still....

I chose to become a teacher and he chose to become a cop. We did not have to do this. We love our professions and are more than proud of what we do.

I am NOT just a teacher. My husband is NOT just a cop. Please tell me that some of you out there have experienced something similar. Why is your apparent monetary "value" the basis of your "worth" in society?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2007

People disgust me.

I know sometimes people say they wouldn't have let something bother them had it happened to them, but really they would. This is a case, however, where I truly would not have let this sad individual upset me. If anything I would laugh. I think she is pathetic. Please don't feel bummed from this incident, or if it should ever happen again.

Oh, and you can tell your husband I said thank you for doing what he does!

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

When I first started college out of High School I was going to be an education major. My parents, who have been divorced since I was three months old and didn't see each other for 14 years got together, nicely and told me that being a teacher is a horrible idea, I wouldn't make enough money, would'nt acheive my dreams etc, yada yada. SO I didn't have that as my major, I spent a term as a journalism majore (asking a lady how she feels now that her husband was decapitated is soooo not my style :D) and switched at the end of the year. Still having no support from family I left school, didn't go back for 6 years. That was 1996, I am now entering my second year as a teacher, and guess who supports me now??????

Yeah I got it in spades, and my hubbie is a cop too, he is a Sherriffs deputy that works at the jail. We both love our jobs, we are both doing what we wanted to do as kids.....I mean how many people get to grow up and be what they wanted to be when they were 10, and LOVE IT?????

5. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

Heh, my response wouldn't have been appropriate, but I would have said "Well, aren't you just a b****."

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2007

Try being "just" a SAHM. People kind of smile at you with a little pity. Then throw in "of course, before I quit, I was math department chair at XXX High School." Their faces become animated as they realize you do have some worth after all and they aren't wasting their time by talking to you.

Some people are pretentious idiots. Ignore them.

7. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 24, 2007

Well, and how in the world did her kids get to be where they are without teachers teaching them and police officers keeping the world safe. *humphf* I hope you never have to run into her again. What a jerk.

8. IRAEnglishT-chr

IRAEnglishT-chr Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Full of #2

Yeah. I get that a lot. I'm a ps teacher who homeschools my own children. Now, talk about worthless. :eek:

First of all, you have to realize that every secure, normal person who would hear what the lady said would instantly know her for what she is-- a materialistic immature human being who has not wised up enough to realize that without teachers her daughter would be illiterate. How does she think she herself even learned how to do number 2 in the potty without someone *teaching* her?? Don't let it get you down. Some things aren't even worthy of a response, they're so ridiculous and unbelievable.

HUGS to you!! My kids are at home with me partially because there aren't enough teachers like YOU! :hugs: And kudos to your hubby!!

9. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 24, 2007

I remember in my younger days when I used to still go to bars on the weekends with so coworkers. This was back when I taught Kindergarten and I remember some guy asking me the standard "what do you do" question ~ and I replied that I taught Kindergarten and he said "Oh so you get to nap and play all day?!" The ignorance! Some people!

10. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

I always feel sorry for people like that woman. Her self worth is
    all about her children. If she can somehow inflate their value even at the expense of someone else it will make her day. Always remember that people who denigrate others are making more of a comment on themselves than their target.

11. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 24, 2007

Try being a career changer who completes an alternative teaching program. I had a woman comment when asked if she was in the TAPP program, "No, I'm a real teacher." :eek:

12. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

My sister in law is a surgeon. She has this attitude. We live in a modest (read small) house in an affluent Chicago suburb. She lives in Wisconsin - near the Dells. She is always after my DH and I to move to Madison or nearer to them. She asks if I want my children to "be at the bottom of the food chain" in our current town. She also has complete disdain for public education (she was kicked out of several boarding schools in high school). She refuses to send her son to preschool (everything he needs to know he can learn from her and my brother) and ACTUALLY says to me, "Do you honestly believe your children will get a quality education in a PUBLIC school?" I look at her as if she's nuts - does she realize what I do? She'll then go on and ask why I won't consider sending my girls to boarding school. Hmmm....we live in one of the best high school districts in the state of Illinois....I believe in and support the public schools in my community... I think it's a bit of a no-brainer.
    She only pulls this crap when my brother ( a mostly stay at home dad) is not around. She keeps the cap on it around him because he gets on her case about putting me down.
    I respect her decision to educate her children the way she wants. I would even respect her decision to homeschool them. I do not respect her decision to put ME down for the career I love.

13. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

Wow...I guess her attitude upsets me more than I realize. I just re-read my post. I am NOT putting down SAH Dads. My brother is a great dad, and the days he works he is a paramedic.

14. CoachRyan

CoachRyan Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I usually spin it. When people say, "oh, you're just a teacher" I respond " well, TEACHER is a pretty big stretch in my case" I also say that for my coaching, too

15. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

The reaction I usually get is Oh all those days off and the whole summer off, like I don't work extremely hard the rest of the school year!

16. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

When I was in college my friends used to say, "Oh you're classes are so easy, all you have to do is color all day." What? Some people have no clue!

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2007

I would send the bride to be a lovely congrats on your upcoming wedding note. In it say how lovely it was to run into her ....and gush about how happy you are with your life- making the difference in the lives of children. Tell her you wish that she finds all the happiness in her life that you already know, wish her well and put it behind you. :love:

18. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

;)

19. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

My family is supportive of my career choice- but i KNOW deep down they think I could have done better.

My sister is a P.A. (physician's assistant) and it's always been about her career. My parents look to her as the ali baba of information and always are interested in her career. I get it- they don't have to even say it.

They also bash education when I am around. Hello! I am standing right here!

20. CoachRyan

CoachRyan Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

my family asks me who to vote for in elections for schoolboard and superintendent

I was the first to teach. No one in my family even had a 4 year degree. They really didn't care what I did. The only time they really wanted me to get out of the field was when I was assaulted 5 years ago.

21. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

Luckily my parents are very supportive of my decision to be a teacher. My mom always wanted to be a teacher but chose to get married at 19 and never went to college. So she just LOVES that I'm a teacher and lives for my stories and experiences in the classroom.

22. tutor1982

tutor1982 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

try this one: my dream growing up was to be a teacher. just before i was entering the education program at a good sized university, I met and got engaged to my husband. I changed schools when we got married and consequently got a year delayed (doing all of this new school's requirements). Just before I entered this school's education program I had our first child. I took a year off and went back to finish my last two years. Shortly into my first semester I found out I was pregnant again (big surprise!). I knew when I went back to school that I would probably never use my degree, or use it later in life when my children were not so dependent on me. My husband and I feel strongly that I should be home raising our children. After the second child, I just couldn't go back to school - it is financially unwise as well as putting such a strain on our family.

So, here I am with one year left and I have no intentions of going back. I might homeschool or I might be the best volunteer a teacher will have (I love to cut and color file folder games!). I am tutoring a few hours a week and so I am educating and making a difference while keeping my family #1. Why don't I go back and finish and stick my kids in daycare 5 days a week when it is not necessary? hmmmm

Please understand, I know many of you have had to place your kids in daycare, and I am in no way putting that down, but we feel this is where God has put us right now. I am ever so thankful for teachers like you who obviously want to do you best so children like mine can get the very best start in life whether they become nurses, police officers, lawyers, or SAHMs who read and play with there kids!

23. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

I had been in school about a year and went home for thanksgiving. My cousin was graduating highschool and told everyone he wanted to go to school to become a music teacher. My mom looked at him and said, "Why would you want to do that, you could do so much better. You are so smart you could be a doctor or something." Now at that moment my hear sunk because she had never said anything like that to me. Just made me realize that she didn't think being a teacher was a very good job to have.....I am over that...We have talked about it and she knows now how much it hurt me...but coming from your own mother....:(

24. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

Let's put this in terms most of us understand. Your mom, her cousin
    his uncle etc. will never understand the sense of accomplishment we
    get when we see the lights go on and kids feel so much joy and self worth when they "get it" the first time. How much love kids can give you when they realize you care about them. I may not fly to Europe often or drive expensive new cars etc. but I go to sleep at night knowing I do something extremely important for our children.
    Let the "Im better than you" crowd crow about their material things or "big" jobs. It is probably one of the only things that brings them comfort. I will take my job working with kids anyday.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2007

If I may be forgiven an analogy that's a little crude, it's sort of like drugs. I don't feel the pull of cocaine etc. - that whole scene played out when I was in college and grad school but just never called to me. When it comes to the "rush" of somebody mastering a concept that's eluded them for a decade or two or three, however, look out, 'scuse me, gotta get some of that - I'm elbowing my way to the front of the line while rolling up both shirtsleeves...

26. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 24, 2007

Well, that "just" a nurse and "just" a doctor would be no where if it weren't for "just" a teacher and they would not have a safe place to live if it weren't for "just" a cop. :)

Lyquid... that's funny... perfect line. :)

27. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 24, 2007

I find it sad that teachers are put down simply because we don't make the big$$$ that we are really worth....same with cops and a lot of other jobs. People who think success is determined by what is in their bank accounts instead of their hearts are just fooling themselves. God gave you a teacher's heart and you listened. I am sure that he gave that woman a heart too....she just isn't listening to him right now. Don't be sad, be joyous! :love:

28. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Jul 24, 2007

29. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

:hugs: Well said!! I've been considered the "idiot" in my sister's eyes for so long because I decided to have a kpb that may not pay much but actually does some good in the world. She and her family are extrememly materialistic and I have never been "good" enough for her and her circle. And they all go on fancy vacations and live in huge houses but I, too, go to sleep at night knowing that I matter to all those students and their families, year after year!! That little $1 gift at Christmas means the world to me because I know I matter!

30. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

Once upon a time...I was just as bad as these people you're complaining about. Since I was 7, I was a teacher to my little cousins and anyone else I could get close to. But when I graduated from high school close to the top of my class, it was 1980 and intelligent women went into business careers (anybody remember those cookie-cutter suits with the bow ties?). The only ones in my class who wanted to be teachers were the bubble-headed cheerleaders - don't hate me, the cheerleaders at my school really were brainless! I resisted the real call in my life for the 1st two years of college until I realized that education was what I was made to do. Teaching has really gotten much more respect since then but it's so sad that we still have a long way to climb.

31. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2007

I am right there with you, shasha379! I could be making twice what public school teachers start at here if I had stayed in the field I was in, but I decided (late in life) to finally do what I was born to do -- teach! I went to a district teachers' job fair, at which every school in the parish had a table set up. Fully half of the administrators manning the tables turned their noses up at Alternate Certification teachers. :mad: Luckily, the other half KNEW what a great resource we are, and I had some great conversations (and made some great contacts)! :lol:

32. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 24, 2007

I've never had anybody say I'm "just a teacher", but DH gets it all the time with his job.

He's professional musician.

You can't believe the number of people who will ask me what DH does, and then ask me what else he does or where else he works . . . like being a musician isn't a "real" job.

33. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 24, 2007

It's even worse when you work with 0-3. People view us as babysitters. Hello, I have a master's degree in ECE & I'm working on my doctorate. I'm definitely NOT a babsitter. Grrr...

34. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

Job Description - Dad

JOB DESCRIPTION...DAD

Subject: JOB DESCRIPTION

Position: DAD

Long-term team players needed for challenging permanent work in an often chaotic environment. Candidates must possess excellent communication and organizational skills and be willing to work variable hours, which will include evenings and weekends and frequent 24 hour shifts on call. Some overnight travel required, including trips to primitive camping sites on rainy weekends and endless sports tournaments in faraway cities. Travel expenses not reimbursed. Extensive courier duties also required.

RESPONSIBILITIES

~ Must provide on-site training in basic life skills, such as nose blowing. Must have strong skills in negotiating, conflict resolution and crisis management. Ability to suture flesh wounds a plus.

~ Must be able to think out of the box but not lose track of the box, because you most likely will need it for a school project.

~ Must reconcile petty cash disbursements and be proficient in managing budgets and resources fairly, unless you want to hear, "He got more than me!" for the rest of your life.

~ Must be able to drive motor vehicles safely under loud and adverse conditions while simultaneously practicing above mentioned skills in conflict resolution.

~ Must be able to choose your battles wisely and then stick to your guns.

~ Must be able to withstand criticism, such as "You don't know anything."

~ Must be willing to be hated at least temporarily, until someone needs $5 to go skating.

~ Must be willing to bite tongue repeatedly.

~ Must possess the physical stamina of a pack mule and be able to go from zero to 60 mph in three seconds flat, in case this time the screams from the backyard are not someone just crying wolf.

~ Must be willing to face stimulating technical challenges, such as small gadget repair, mysteriously sluggish toilets and stuck zippers.

~ Must handle assembly and product safety testing of a half million cheap, plastic toys and battery-operated devices.

~ Must screen phone calls, maintain calendars and coordinate production of multiple homework projects.

~ Must have ability to plan and organize social gatherings for clients of all ages and mental outlooks.

~ Must be willing to be indispensable one minute, an embarrassment the next.

~ Must have a highly energetic entrepreneurial spirit, because fund-raiser will be your middle name.

~ Must have a diverse knowledge base, so as to answer questions on the fly such as "What makes the wind move?" or "Why can't we just stop all wars?"

~ Must always hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

~ Must assume final, complete accountability for the quality of the end product.

~ Other responsibilities include floor maintenance and janitorial work throughout the facility.

POSSIBILITY FOR ADVANCEMENT AND PROMOTION

Virtually none. Your job is to remain in the same position for years, without complaining, constantly retraining and updating your skills, so that those in your charge can ultimately surpass you.

PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE

None required, unfortunately. On-the-job training offered on a continually exhausting basis.

WAGES AND COMPENSATION

You pay them, offering frequent raises and bonuses. A balloon payment is due when they turn 18 because of the assumption that college will help them become financially independent. When you die, you give them whatever is left. The oddest thing about this reverse-salary scheme is that you actually enjoy it and wish you could only do more.

BENEFITS

While no health or dental insurance, no pension, no tuition reimbursement, no paid holidays and no stock options are offered, the job supplies limitless opportunities for personal growth and free hugs for life, if you play your cards right.

35. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

JOB DESCRIPTION...Mom

POSITION: Mother, Mom, Mama

JOB DESCRIPTION: Long term, team players needed, for challenging permanent work in an often chaotic environment.

Candidates must possess excellent communication and organizational skills and be willing to work variable hours, which will include evenings and weekends and frequent 24 hour shifts on call.

Some overnight travel required, including trips to primitive camping sites on rainy weekends and endless sports tournaments in far away cities. Travel expenses not reimbursed. Extensive courier duties also required.

RESPONSIBILITIES: The rest of your life. Must be willing to be hated, at least temporarily, until someone needs $5.
    Must be willing to bite tongue repeatedly. Also, must possess the physical stamina of a pack mule and be able to go from zero to 60 mph in three sec onds flat in case, this time, the screams from the backyard are not someone just crying wolf.
    Must be willing to face stimulating technical challenges, such as small gadget repair, mysteriously sluggish toilets and stuck zippers.
    Must screen phone calls, maintain calendars and coordinate production of multiple homework projects.
    Must have ability to plan and organize social gatherings for clients of all ages and mental outlooks.
    Must be willing to be indispensable one minute, an embarrassment the next.
    Must handle assembly and product safety testing of a half million cheap, plastic toys, and battery operated devices.
    Must always hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.
    Must assume final, complete accountability for the quality of the end product.

Responsibilities also include floor maintenance and janitorial work throughout the facility.

POSSIBILITY FOR ADVANCEMENT & PROMOTION: Virtually none. Your job is to remain in the same position for years, without complaining, constantly retraining and updating your skills, so that those in your charge can ultimately surpass you

PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE: None required unfortunately. On-the-job training offered on a continually exhausting basis.

WAGES AND COMPENSATION: Get this! You pay them! Offering frequent raises and bonuses. A balloon payment is due when they turn 18 because of the assumption that college will help them become financially independent.

When you die, you give them whatever is left. The oddest thing about this reverse-salary scheme is that you actually enjoy it and wish you could only do more.

BENEFITS: While no health or dental insurance, no pension, no tuition reimbursement, no paid holidays and no stock options are offered; this job supplies limitless opportunities for personal growth and free hugs for life if you play your cards right.

36. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

Job Description of a Teacher

Job Description of a Teacher

The recent graduate summed up the interview by saying, "Let me see . . .

You want me to go into that room with all those kids, and fill their every waking moment with a love for learning. Not only that, I'm to instill a sense of pride in their ethnicity, behaviorally modify disruptive behavior, and observe them for signs of abuse, drugs, and T-shirt messages. I am to fight the war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, check their backpacks for guns and raise their self-esteem. I'm to teach them patriotism, good citizenship, sportsmanship and fair play, how and where to register to vote, how to balance a checkbook and how to apply for a job, but I am never to ask if they are in this country illegally.

I am to check their heads occasionally for lice, maintain a safe environment, recognize signs of potentially antisocial behavior, offer advice, write letters of recommendation for student employment and scholarships, encourage respect for cultural diversity of others, and oh yeah, teach, always making sure I give the girls in my class fifty percent of my attention.

I'm required by my contract to be working, on my own time, summer and evenings and at my own expense towards additional certification, advance certification and a master's degree, to sponsor the cheerleaders or the sophomore class and after school I am to attend committee and faculty meetings and participate in staff development training to maintain my current certification and employment status.

I am to collect data and maintain all records to support and document our building's progress in the selected state mandated program to "assess and upgrade educational excellence in the public schools." I am to be a paragon of virtue larger than life, such that my very presence will awe my students into being obedient and respectful of authority. I am to pledge allegiance to supporting family values, a return to the basics, and my current administration.

I am to incorporate technology into the learning, but monitor all web sites for appropriateness while providing a personal one-on-one relationship with each student. I am to decide who might be potentially dangerous or liable to commit crimes in school or who is possibly being abused and I can be sent to jail for not mentioning these suspicions to those in authority. I am to make sure ALL students pass all mandated testing and all classes, whether or not they attend school on a regular basis or complete any of the work assigned. I am to communicate frequently with each student's parent by letter, phone, newsletter, and grade card.

I'm to do all of this with just a piece of chalk, a computer, a few books, a bulletin board, a 45 minute or less plan time, and a big smile, on a starting salary that qualifies my family for food stamps in many states.

Is that all? And you want me to do all this and expect me to do it without complaints, even when you negotiate in bad faith or violate my rights?

37. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

I hope you like the last 3

38. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 24, 2007

Maybe if we answer "I teach second grade" then the other people out there see it differently than if we would say "I have the joy of teaching children everyday!"
    I was at a reception and struck up a conversation with an older gentleman in front of me. He asked what I did for a living and I said, "I teach second grade." He said, "No, no don't EVER answer that question that way. I am a superintendant and I would rather you answer it, "I teach children who are second graders.You don't teach the grade, you teach the children!" I was a little taken aback at this stranger kind of getting all over me, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought he was right....and somehow, I would need that knowledge down the road. To touch the life of others IS important and really can't carry a price tag.

39. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2007

Those are great, Irishdave! I never think of myself as "just" a teacher; I'm a teacher, peacekeeper, social worker, computer whiz, pest control expert, confidante, mediator, advocate, nurse, coach, communications expert, writer, decorator, code breaker, mind-reader, researcher, and so much more--all at the same time!

40. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

You must say this like a caller at an auction
    I am just a teacher, peacekeeper, social worker, computer whiz, pest control expert, confidante, mediator, advocate, nurse, coach, communications expert, writer, decorator, code breaker, mind-reader, researcher, (take a breath) and just so much more.

41. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2007

I agree with all of the above except the part I have pasted above, Irishdave. There IS possibility for advancement -- hopefully after the child/ren achieve adulthood and financial independence. Grandparenthood! Take it from someone who has made the transition -- it is DEFINITELY a promotion! :hugs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.