I am home

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by mommaruthie, Sep 12, 2004.

1. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 12, 2004

Lori I am sure you were fine in sarasota, the storm is still far away. I wll try and check in with you more details later- attention span is a lot shorter now.

Just wanted to let you know i am home, i will catch up on the 6 pages of posts that are new (you have all been busy!)

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 12, 2004

Glad you are safe. Thanks for keeping in touch. Petunia in Kansas

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 12, 2004

Welcome back!

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 12, 2004

Well, since you are home, I take it all went well!

My trip to Sarasota was great... just too short! I'm going back in the spring.

I'll catch up with you later, Ruth!
    Take care of yourself!!!

Lori

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 13, 2004

lori, thank god, better then i expected- other then normal local discomfort I only have one strange complaint is all sounds are super intensified. EVERYTHING is irritating down to outdoor cricket/frog noises while I am inside.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 13, 2004

dang girl... they must have cleaned your ears out really well while they had you under! :)

Lori

8. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 13, 2004

:0) Time to try and stay awake days and sleep nights- just happened to have been walking my kids to the bus stop (got a ride home from my neighbor) did the dishes and went to sleep for almost 4 hours!
    Then spent almost 3 hours working on my interim reports that are due! Did I mention my attention span is really shortened?

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 13, 2004

Did I miss something? Where were you?

10. Margo

Margo Devotee

Sep 13, 2004

Upsadaisy, i thought I was the only one confused here.

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 13, 2004

^
    |
    |
    |

I agree with Margo and Upsadaisy. :confused:

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 13, 2004

she's going to be a skinny mini like me... the copy cat... lol. YOU KNOW I LUV YA RUTH!! :) I figure it is ok to tell it since we are talking around it here on the board... confusing heck outta people. She had weight loss surgery last week. :) Looks like she is doing pretty good.

Lori

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 13, 2004

Wow, and I thought she just fled the hurricane. Good for you, ruth. I hope you have a comfortable time adjusting.

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 13, 2004

Yay, Ruth! :-D

I can't wait to see how great you look. :)

15. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 14, 2004

Wow! That was easy. I have been using an avatar that is now 2 years old and notice how the only thing showing is MY HEAD!
    I turned 35 and had this realization that I have neglected myself for ten years and want to have a healthy future and hopefully to be at my children's graduations and weddings.... I guess this is my mid life crisis! I knew I needed to lose more weight as most people think they only have 20 or so pounds to lose. But when realizing that I was considered obese, morbidly or even severly obese really made me more aware that if I did not do something (I am a life time member 2times to weight watchers and have dieted more days of my life then maintenance) I was not going to have much of a future even my job where getting on and off the floor was becoming a challenge. Every diet that i did I would lose weight but key consideration for success isnt HOW MUCH you lose but how long you keep it off! I love my inner self and my spirit, and personality. Physically, my limitations were getting in the way of that enthusiastic woman.

Anyways, I was influenced by the popularity of this procedure. First off, Lori on atoz was the first person who I knew of and her complications (didnt interest me in doing it). BUT, I became part of a Bunco group and, since its held at a different person's house from the group, they can invite whomever they want and i happened to have been at one bunco night where of 8 couples/16 adults there were at least 5 persons who had the procedure done. In fact, one gentleman had JUST made it that day from the hospital due to his complications and he looked like DEATH. (that didnt deter me)
    I began to do my own researching and met with the local surgeon most were using and was qualified by insurance to do the procedure. It didnt take to long to get a surgery date as it depends on insurance companies. I will be successful with weight loss and with the surgery as a tool will now be able to be successful in maintaining my weight.
    I have such a great support team here at home and my family, some too shocked to saying anything supportive, are mostly thrilled for me. My identical twin sister is going to continue her plans to have another child and is thrilled for me to have made this move. I have always felt a connection with many of those who have been on atoz for a long time and didnt know how to tell anyone. Lori has managed that for me and its quite a relief- now you can be part of that support group for me too. Maybe I can motivate you to 'hop on my weight loss wagon' and make drastic changes (no surgery needed). I know ATOZ has provided people with ideas and confidence to do their jobs. Maybe we can do a thread for teacher fitness and list all the things to do WHILE at work. (could you imagine doing kegel exercises or butt squeezes while grading papers!!) (How about squats or lunges while writing on the board) (knee bends while cleaning up paper from the floor)
    Seriously, I am needing to lose 100 pounds and to improve my well being. Just know the decision I made was based on me and my needs, if there is anyone who needs any information regarding the procedure dont hesitate to ask. Weight, is a really sensitive issue/topic on this forum as I have seen in recent posts.
    Lori I know I have thanked you for your support and for the hours of IM with my ridiculous questions. Again I want to thank you :0)

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2004

I hope everything is going well!!!

17. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 14, 2004

with WLS no question is rediculous! If you don't know, you ask... the only rediculous one is the one NOT ASKED! :)

I'm glad I could be there for you to try to answer all of your questions. It helps to know someone is out there that knows a little about what is going on and if they don't know, they can lead you to someone who does. :)

I know you will still have questions as the days/weeks/months go on and I'm here for ya!

Lori

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2004

One of my co-workers daughter had this done and she looks and feels fabulous! She was extremely overweight before. I am about 20 pounds over and have no motivation...I even quit walking after work because I am tired from working all day (not a good excuse)...I tried slim FAst and lost 15 pounds and started "eating" too much of everything again. I know what I need to do but just can't get into good eating again. Anyway, good for you for doing something about your weight...I am very proud of you.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 14, 2004

Believe me, I have thought about it, Ruth and Lori. I've lost about 25 now with my diabetes meds but two weeks ago my legs swelled up terribly. The doctor said that the veins in my legs were affected. Also the circulation. Sigh. I need to lose another 50 pounds. That sounds so impossible. However, I have already given away one whole lot of clothing and bought lots of new stuff (the fun part) that wasn't expensive. So I guess I will keep on this way unless I hit a serious roadblock. I'm trying not to deprive myself by making sure to have enough of the allowable foods handy. I'm afraid I would get very depressed after the surgery if I went that route. Don't believe I could handle the lifestyle change. Keep us posted on your progress. You are a very determined person and I know you can do this!

20. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2004

Ruth, be vigilant to do what you need to, to keep your weight off. I know two people who had this procedure and gained at least some back. One had complications and gained most back.
    The biggest problem for them was getting used to eating less. It's like one said 'The surgery doesn't change your appetite, it changes the amount you can eat.' It is a lot of behavior modification.
    I wish I had your courage, because I, too, could stand to lose 100 pounds. Like you, I'm okay with myself, but believe it or not, people will say things to me,mean things, and I wish I could lose before my almost four year old figures it all out. I'm not anxious for the day when she realizes Mommy has a weight problem.

21. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 15, 2004

becky- the wls is a tool- it actually does give you a window of time to lose your excess weight (18 months) AND it provides you with a 'smaller stomach' to feel satieated (full). There are people who will cheat and eat ANYTHING they want. Even at support meetings i attend, there are people who discuss their cheating so that they can get support to STOP. Four years from now I hope that my lifestyle is TOTALLY different then it was before surgery. We no longer HAVE to eat out- buffet and all you can eat is not food for survival. I ate meals for enjoyment and had bouts of depression eating. The changes I made began during my researching the surgery and the discipline I have demonstrated is just going to prove the success of this for me. I have got to remain focused on ME now and it will increase my enthusiasm and energy to motivate not only my spouse but my children will become a part of my routines. My kids are like my fitness coaches fighting to get to walk with me! I am just so lucky that my family is so supportive and we made this decision together because if I couldnt be the ONLY one making a lifestyle change. (my husband has a lot of weight to lose and he carries it ALL in his belly but carries it well. He is really the 'cook' of the house so he is planning meals and we have been eating mostly at home since june)

22. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Sep 15, 2004

Ruth, I commend you on your commitment to health. Your health should be a top priority and teachers often set that aside. I teach at a public elementary school that is based on a Sports, Fitness, and Health theme. Many of the teachers have begun to reasess their eating and exercising habits. Being healthy is composed of many aspects: emotional, physical, financial, and more. Good luck to you. You are a determined person and this will get you back on track.

TiffanyL

23. adria

adria Comrade

Sep 16, 2004

As I was reding the post, I became jealous, I was also asking myself, how come she's home, I thought about the date, and I said school is open as I scrolled down, I realise why you are home. I am happy for you, we only have one live to live and we have to make good decisions that is that will benefit us.

Take care and do well....let me know how it turns out.

God Bless

24. somer

somer Rookie

Sep 16, 2004

which surgery did you have? i want to have a tummy tuck and lipo, but it is so costly. i could stand to loose about 50 lbs, at least!!!

25. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 16, 2004

lapriscopy gastric bypass surgery

26. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2004

When did you have it done, Ruth, and how much have you lost?

27. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 16, 2004

I am only a week old now
    Surgery was 9/8 Wednesday.
    Two weeks prior to surgery i was required to do liquid diet.
    Since tomorrow is a dr. appointment, I will have to use their scale for a 'official weight loss total'.
    I have now been one week out from surgery and have another week of liquids only. I think the total is going to be around 29 pounds!
    I wake up one day to the next and have seen the scale go down EVERY DAY. My scale claps (aplauds) if you lose weight. I will take one sip, one swallow, one meal, one day at a time and the most weight loss will be within EIGHTEEN months.

28. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Sep 21, 2004

Sounds like things are going well for you Ruth. I hope all continues well and that all your dreams and hopes come true. Me, I'm still struggling with my weight but I have managed to keep the 13lbs I lost last spring from coming back and now that the school routine is underway again I think I'll try to eat better again.

Upsadaisy keep going, I'm impressed, 25lbs is a lot. As someone said, I think Teachers are a nurturing bunch and sometimes we forget to nurture ourselves. Having a healthy body is one of my goals and I really want it! I'm thinking of trying Tai Chi for stress reduction, from what I've been reading my 'belly" fat is one of the ways my body responds to stress. I've got a couple of Tia Chi tapes so I think I'll give it a try. Anyone else Do Tai Chi?

Sending you good wishes...
    Dawn

29. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Sep 21, 2004

I am so happy for all of you who are at least trying to lose those extra pounds. It is so difficult.

You have inspired me to get back to walking and better eating.

Thanks, Brenda

30. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 21, 2004

Ruth...Good luck with everything. My neighbor had the surgery and looks fanatastic. It will be 2 years in Feb from her surgery. I give you a lot of credit! Take it easy.

31. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 21, 2004

Thanks. Tomorrow I begin the Pureed stage. Supposed to last for six weeks. I feel better then ever. I drink soy protein shakes with 25 grams a serving. I know I am getting more nutrients thru those shakes then I ever got from eating a turkey sandwich and a peach.
    Its funny how many teachers throw their hair up into a scrunchie and wear clothes that are not going to draw to much attention to themselves. How many even apply or REAPPLY make up during the day? I think mental wellness is also critical and what a school does to make the environment so enjoyable or terribly stressful.

32. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2004

I found it interesting that you commented on teachers not applying make up ,etc. Good point. We do become a bit lax in those areas. I have never gone to work without mascara (at least) and do wear a dress of skirt now and then. I feel so out of place wearing a dress or skirt because there are only two of us who do. I do wish people would dress better. They come in stretched out t-shirts and shorts, no make up...

33. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Sep 22, 2004

Although I do wear make-up there are many days that I get home and realize that I haven't even looked in the mirror all day. Somedays it's a struggle to get time to pee!

I don't wear dresses 99% of the time because I'm on the floor so much and I find cotton pants more comfortable. Last year I wore a dress for the first time about halfway through the year and one of my kids said in a shocked voice, "Miss, you got legs!" I laughed for a week at that.

We all need to take better care of ourselves and to support each other more. This year I've made it my goal to help the new Spec. Services teachers in my school figure out this crazy, wonderful world of 'real' teaching and avoid getting taken advantage of or burning themselves out. I'm speaking as a recovering 'burntout'.

34. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 22, 2004

Reapply makeup? I am happy if I get to sit down for a minute or two during the day. I do wear a lot of skirts but that is because I am more comfortable in them. I put my makeup on at 7am and dont look at myself until I get home. You are right that teachers should take care themselves. I gained some weight over the summer so I attempting to diet and excerise. I did however treat myself to a facial today and it was wonderful. It is important to take care of ourselves.

35. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2004

I really had to laugh about teachers not looking in the mirror all day! I am guilty of that, too. Here's a funny...one of the little girls in my class has a mom who teachers high school. She is always picture perfect (the mom), not a hair out of place. The other day she stopped and visited for awhile. After she left, I happened to catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror. My hair is getting longer now and it was sticking straight out on both sides! I bet she had a hard time not laughing! It was so awful! By the time I get home, I literally head straight for the shower I feel so cruddy.

36. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2004

hillsidefogo,
    I am interested in how you help with teachers not burning out, etc. What does your school do to avoid this? We have a problem with that...and I would like to be able to share your ideas with my co-workers at our next meeting...thanks!