I am having a tuff time getting back into the field. One of my old jobs called me up

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tgpii, Mar 11, 2008.

1. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 11, 2008

I am having a tuff time getting back into the field. One of my old jobs called me up and wanted me to come back but I refuse to. I am willing to work for low pay, have experience and a degree. I am also in the Army National Guard. I had a few interviews. I email, fax, snail mail places. I give them my resume, cover letter, and applications. I also send follow up letters (I sent my résumé not heard anything or I had interview not herd anything.) A few places send me a rejection letter (your credentials are great but not good for the position). I even send letters when they reject me (thanks for the letter but if something comes up please remember me). I had a few interviews and sent my resume/portfolio to a few places and never heard anything.

In my state I am DCFS director and teacher qualified. However under state board of education I have only a substitute license. Also, I am an EMT-B. Also I have CPR with AED card. I even have a State Department of Health Food Sanitation card. I even got experience in the field. I see jobs posted all the time and apply.

It got so bad that I have to apply to places further away from me. My old work found my résumé and begged me to come back. I refuse to work there. Other then they think I am spamming what am I doing wrong? I applied/interviews at some chains and private daycare. This is costing me lots of money in stamps, time, copies and other supplies. I applied at public schools, private schools, churches and even park districts. If you like to see my resume please let me know. The other day I went to a job/teacher fair at a chain daycare. I sent them my resume and brought a copy to the job fair. I was the first one there/interviewed. Is this bad or good? Can anyone help?

If I posted this in the wrong spot I am sorry.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2008

With the No Child Left Behind Act and all its regulations, you're unlikely to get hired for a permanent position in a public school with just a sub license. You might need to bite the bullet and go for a full license.

Being certified in AED, CPR, and food safety certified is a nice bonus in addition to a full, clear teaching license. But without the license, or at least enrollment in an alternative certification program, I think you're going to have a difficult time landing a position.

4. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 11, 2008

I know I did/do apply for field related jobs at churches, park districts, ect. I don’t under stand how if the place is under DCFS I can be the director, if the place is under SBE I am only substitute certified. I do find jobs that would be great for me. However how do I convince the employer I am the right employee for the position? Do reference letters help? Does being in the Army National Guard hurt or helps me? Being a male does that make a difference? Any other tips or advice PLEASE let me know. Thank you.

If I posted this in the wrong forum PLEASE let me know.
    :sorry:

5. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Mar 11, 2008

I don't know what part of Illinois you are in, but if you are anywhere near Chicago (any of the suburbs and the towns that border the suburbs), you *have* to have a regular license to teach in a public school. It's not even an option. Even private schools are starting to demand licenses. For the pay of a church-based school, you'd be better off working as an aide in a public school.

Honestly, it is way too competative for a non-licensed person to get recognized. Last year, my district had over 5,000 applicants for just 70 openings (and not all of those were just teaching).

Go back, take the courses to get certified (or re-certified), and give it a go. My biggest piece of advice would be to work as an aide. I did for two years while I worked on my Master's (even though I was already a certified teacher). It was hands down the best experience I could have given myself and I cannot imagine doing my career job now and being happy without having that background. Not only that, but the aide position helped me float into my career position in the same district. It's ALL about connections nowadays.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  6. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 12, 2008

Thanks, I was thinking of doing the aid thing. When your an aid if they need a sub they pull you off aid and let you sub. :thanks: My problem is I have a low GPA. Anyways my resume is posted if you want to see.