I am going to dress like a superhero on the first day of school

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrsammieb, Aug 2, 2014.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 2, 2014

So, our district has made Student Engagement our theme for the school year. They bought everyone the book Teach Like a Pirate. The guest speaker was the author of this book. Very interesting.

I was thinking I would start my 5th grade class dressed as a superhero who helps others unlock their super powers? I would only dress up for about an hour and have them fill out what their superpower is (favorite subject) and what is their cryptonite.

What do you think? Epic Fail? Cool? Ideas? Help me!

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 2, 2014

I think a lot depends on your population of students. I know the second, third, and fourth graders I have taught would love it, but I have never taught fifth. Are your students still "kids" at the beginning of the year?

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2014

Cool! My 5th graders would have loved it.

5. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2014

I like it! It would certainly at least make a memorable lesson for the kids, that's for sure.

Just make sure you spell Kryptonite correctly! (which comes from the planet Krypton. Or, you know... admit that spelling is your cryptonite)

ETA: There may be a certain population of students who will roll their eyes -- my oldest, who was very cynical very early, might have just thought his teacher was weird. But he still would have appreciated the effort.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 2, 2014

5th grade me wouldn't have appreciated something like this, but 5th grade me is probably more of an exception.

7. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 2, 2014

Same here. As a 5th grader, I was always serious in the classroom (my parents didn't tolerate anything but seriousness about school) so I wouldn't have enjoyed this on the first day of school.

I would have felt like the teacher wasn't serious and would have figured this was one of those "buddy" teachers who would love the rowdy, rambunctious, outgoing (and sometimes mean) kids which I wasn't.

As a teacher, I think it's a cool concept and I can see how it would engage students. I could also see myself doing something fun like this but not on the first day of school.

However, i can also see how it would be distracting and as a student.

I feel like those first few days are so important to set the tone. I usually don't let my hair down until the second or third week. By then, the kids are pretty much into a routine and they understand that it's okay to have fun with Mrs. Catz, but when it's time for business, Mrs. Catz means business.

But that's just me. You could always try it and see how it goes. You may be pleasantly surprised :thumb:

8. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 2, 2014

The highest I've taught is second and they would have loved it! What an attention grabber! I want to check that book out!

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 2, 2014

I read that book, and I agree that getting dressed up can be a good thing, but as a 5th grade teacher, I am learning it is all in the timing.

Let me share so you don't repeat my mistakes. I like to do lots of fun and energetic things with my 5th graders. However, the big mistake I made my 1st year in teaching 5th grade, is that I did too many of these first quarter. It gave them a bit of the wrong idea, that school is a lot about fun. I made a change that really helped in getting them to work harder in school and still have fun. This is what has worked for me as a 5th grade teacher.

I look at the larger picture of the whole year. I try to have my fun and energetic activities as follows: 10%-1st quarter, 20%-2nd quarter, 30%-3rd quarter, and 40%-4th quarter. So if I have 20 fun and crazy activities for the year, I am only doing 2 the first quarter.

Also, the first two weeks, I don't do any fun and crazy activities. This is so difficult for me. However, when they see that I expect them to work and follow routines the first two weeks, they appreciate the fun activities I do later.

This has really helped me in order to have a year with 5th graders where they learn, behave well, and also have fun. I just had to make sure I put first things first...I hope this helps. :)

10. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Aug 2, 2014

My principal would flip. Another teacher and I dress in full Thing 1 and Thing 2 costumes for Read Across America Day. She wasn't happy. It's a tradition started years before she got to our school.

She wants the ladies to wear skirts and heels. She told one female teacher that she looked like a man in her khakis and polo. She told another that her capris were too short. We are a public school with no dress code in our contract. I am playing it safe with my clothes, slacks and solid color tops. If she tells me I look like a man I will file a complaint because that is uncalled for.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 2, 2014

That is inappropriate, unprofessional, and downright RUDE!

The only thing that bugs me is teachers wearing sweatpants. I think it looks sloppy.

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 2, 2014

My favorite school day of the year is always the day before Holiday Break, because it's Read-In day, and Pajama Day. Everybody (teachers included) can wear their pjs and spend the day reading in the classroom. I look forward to it because I get to wear my sweatpants and sweatshirt!

I'd never wear sweatpants any other time though.

13. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Aug 2, 2014

The school I worked at before this one had "Velour tracksuit friday." It was hilarious. This was YEARS ago when people still wore tracksuits. :haha: Slowly, everyday became tracksuit day. I don't know what happened after I left.

14. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 2, 2014

HOLY LAWSUIT BATMAN! That is beyond inappropriate. Is she a much older female? Even if so, she needs to get with the times! Mandatory skirts and heels? To teach elementary school? :eek: I guess next the school nurses will be told no more scrubs and to start wearing those old timey white nurse outfits. Granted they DO look nice, but it's impractical in a school setting. :rolleyes:

15. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 2, 2014

Sounds like solid advice :thumb:

16. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 2, 2014

This is beyond rude! There is a female teacher at my school that I have known for years. She wears a polo and khakis or sometimes dark slacks. She has told me before she wears what she does because she doesn't have much money. She is a single mother who is doing the best she can. It isn't her fault, teachers salaries are low. Not everyone can dress like they have a principal's salary.

17. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 2, 2014

I think it's awesome! If that's your personality, and you feel comfortable with it, GO FOR IT! There isn't one right way to teach or connect with kids... go with your heart on this one. :)

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2014

I agree. It wouldn't be "me", but would absolutely work for a few of the teachers I work with.

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 2, 2014

Exactly!!! UGH, what a RUDE principal, Poppy!! :mad:

:thumb: I agree!

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 2, 2014

I agree - so not my style! But if you can pull it off, then go for it. If you believe in it, they will too.

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2014

I would recommend saving this sort of display for later in the year, maybe closer to Thanksgiving or Christmas. I just think that it can be difficult to appear like the authority in the classroom when you're dressed up in a costume.

22. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 3, 2014

This is the kind of thing that would be awesome if it went grade wide, instead of being the only teacher on the block taking this out to see if it will fly. Any chance of that happening? Just a thought...

23. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 3, 2014

I know you were being very sincere, Caesar, but your comment made me laugh out loud. :lol:

24. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 3, 2014

When I taught elementary that would not have gone over well with my administration. They liked the first few weeks to set a tone of being serious. They supported fun dress-up days later in the year, but after the tone was set for the year. I'd maybe run it by them first.

Alternately, you could have a cape and just put on the cape during the activity, then take it off.

25. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 3, 2014

I really love the idea. It's not like you're dressing up for the whole day. I think that makes a difference.

26. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 3, 2014

I think if it fits your personality and classroom environment style you should go for it.

If you are able to set the classroom expectations by dressing up on the first day then I say go for it. Only you truly know how well you are able to manage and create an effective learning environment.

Reflect on your past years. Have you done anything similar towards the start of the year? How did it effect your classroom environment and expectations?

27. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Oct 8, 2014

Mrsammieb--how did the first day go?

28. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Oct 8, 2014

I am curious to know as well.

29. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Oct 8, 2014

Well, I actually dressed like a superhero on the second day. And it went awesome! I mean, I didn't dress OUT OF CONTROL. First I started it with telling them that there was something they needed to know about me. I totally built up the tension in the room. Like, y'all can't tell people, etc. Then I pulled out a super hero cape! They LOVED IT! I explained my "powers" (helping others, reading, math!) and my "kryptonite" (grammar) Then they each let me take a picture of them with a superhero cape! It was a good lesson!

30. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Oct 25, 2014

I think that was a good way to do it. If you had just started out with the cape, the kids would have been so focused on that it would have been difficult to get them under control. But they came in and I'm sure got a sense you meant business from your demeanor and confidence. THEN you whipped out the fun stuff. Nice!