I am Gifted and done with my work early!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 1, 2007

I got this question in another post today-

I have a question. I have 9 identified gifted children in my classroom. I was wondering if you have any suggestions of the types of research projects I should give them during small groups. I can't get away with the normal kind of small group activities. They finish them too quickly. I do have to have activities that still deal with the Daily 5 according to the Reading First Guidelines although we aren't technically a Reading First school any longer. I am in desperate need of extention activities and higher level thinking activities.

In advanced reading for the 2007-2008 school year, I'll have 22 students, 6 of which are classified Gifted and a few who are inches from it. Last year, I also had 6, 1 of which was in homeroom.

-I have these cards. I need to look at them tomorrow. They're printed on cardstock and have a website on each. It may be from a Scholastic book. Each card covers some sort of skill in each subject, I think. It's mini-research projects.
    -I also have them read more of the advanced literature in my classroom, the Newbery books and such.
    -Those who like to journal can journal, but I had a boy (Gifted) who hated journaling last year. :| (But otherwise, he was one AVID reader- :woot: He's entitled to his own.)
    -They can do things with magazines when they are done. I have a magazine basket and some of the best ones in there are OWL, Boys' Life, American Girl, Ranger Rick, and National Geographic for Kids. I am ordering Storyworks this year as well. I am coming up with a list (or maybe you all can help me) for things to do with magazines when you are done with work and have a magazine. The five W's always works, yet I may go beyond that. Ummm, let me rephrase that, I have to. Gifted kids crave variety, and I understand because I am an adult version of them.

So do you have laptops? Other computers? What kind of books? There's so much you can do. If you're in reading block, I'd stay with reading- and writing-related stuff.

3. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 1, 2007

Ok Ms. J,

Here's the "rest of the story" so to speak. I am able to use writing, grammar and social studies and science (as long as I am working on a reading skill) during my "reading block". I have found task cards on another site I am a member of that I have "tweaked" a bit to more meet the challenges of my students. As far as computers are concerned I have 2 computers in my classroom. My students are also very lucky that our "repeat" special is the computer lab. The computer teacher has already told me that she will have them do reasearch projects, webquests, and other activities that I would like for them to do on the second time that they go to the lab in the 2 week rotation. As far as the classroom library is concerned the teacher that left whose room I inherited "cleaned out" the classroom library. I have a few things but most of my teaching experience is at the K-2 level so that is what the majority of my personal leveled library is.

I have "borrowed" some of your calendar activities for them to use in the writing center after I teach the mini-lesson in whole group.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 1, 2007

Oh, borrow the calendar activities. Definitely. They're advanced reading, so it'll definitely work. :)

Do you want some webquest links? What are some of your science/s.s. units?

I wish I could clone my books for you. They work incredibly well and are a time saver sometimes. Maybe your local Goodwill has the books we envision?

I am definitely excited to help you. :) Send more questions, and I'll try to help more!

5. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 1, 2007

Webquest links would be great. The computer teacher would appreciate the help also.

I will bring our curriculum map home tomorrow and post the science/ss/health units that we are supposed to cover. Right now we are doing Maps and Globes.

Give me a list of some of the titles of the books and I will make a stop by Goodwill. We have a brand new one here in town that just opened up during the summer.

Thanks so much for your help. :) I am so excited about this bunch. I looped with 14 of them and we honored parent request for some and then the rest were just "chance" additions. Out of the new ones added I have only gotten one that is truly a "lower level" student (not bad for a class of 21). I am hopeful that they will have him go to another class for reading and math so that I don't have to do a small group of one and take away from the other 20. We shall see.:unsure:

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 1, 2007

I forgot you already started! We start with maps and globes, too!

If you want, have them visit their neighboring state for fun- http://teachingvision.org/floridamap . :D

Websites-
    -THIS is addicting- http://www.fekids.com/kln/games/wordjungle/
    -http://www.timeforkids.com/TFK/teachers/about/0,28252,aboutus,00.html (articles- grades 2-3 works for them comfortably and then 4-6 is for the kids who are too bright for their own good)
    -http://www.ology.amnh.org/ (Science- our Gifted teacher uses it; I do, too)

Geography-
    -http://library.thinkquest.org/J002459F/
    -http://library.thinkquest.org/10157/
    -http://www.fema.gov/kids/hurrtrac.htm (I have them make brochures at times; this may be a great idea for brochure-making)
    -http://www.nationalgeographic.com/geospy/ (Anything National Geographic for Kids ROCKS :))
    -http://www.timeforkids.com/TFK/mapmania (Cool.)

7. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 1, 2007

8. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Make sure you ask the kids what they would like to learn more about as well. I've found that many times when working with gifted kids, they have a passion about something and are just itching to have some time to learn more about it!

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

(Thinks back to each Gifted student in the past three years) I have a great memory.

1st Year
    J- Outdoors, math, chemistry, baseball, football, was into Sharon Creech's The Wanderer
    A-Obsessed with dinosaurs, really liked science as well, loved reading books like the Encyclopedia of Science, was involved in football and baseball, loved the book When The Soldiers Were Gone
    S-Dancing more than anything else, outstanding writer, wonderful artist, good on the computer

2nd Year-
    T- Technology, loved PowerPoint, loved to figure out ANYTHING scientific, knew how to fix microscopes to have a clear focus (while I wasn't so great, yikes), loved dolphins, was in softball...
    M- A creative genius in writing, loved generally everything, read all kinds of books and finished them pretty readily, wasn't as much into sports, but somewhat liked dancing (I think)

3rd Year-
    J- This one was specific. Obsessed with dinosaurs (this got to be pretty funny by now, considering A from two years ago), great white sharks, dragons, ants, anything I probably would consider a creepy specimen, math brain teasers, devoured books, got involved in the science fair, played baseball

Hated writing for most of the school year until he realized he could write about the things he wanted, like the Great Barrier Reef. He was VERY specific. :lol: But I loved it.

I never forget these kids. I'll never forget the ones I just mentioned. :cool:

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

Have you ever had any boys obsessed with DINOSAURS??? If it's a theme amongst 9-11 year old boys who are Gifted, I'll get a good laugh. See my last post. :woot:

11. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 2, 2007

when i taught 6th grade gifted here's what i did.

I devised an "effort points" system. Our report cards have a category for work habits (Excellent, Satisfactory, etc) I got a few resource books with tons of critical thinking, brain bender, riddles and other challenge type activities. Then i posted a poster that had how many points equal each grade. Most of my students were over achievers. So they really got into this. Then i set up a file crate with hanging folders and copies of the different activities. I wrote on the top how many points they were worth. The really hard ones were 3 points. Most were 2 points. When students finished their work they could do an effort points activity. My 6th graders really seemed to like it.

One of the science books i used was called Whats up in science? and had some of the more challenging puzzles that I used. My kids really liked those.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 2, 2007

About half my class is gifted from year to year. I have done a couple of things in years past.

First, I have them do independent projects. They plan and execute ANY project they are interested in. I allow everyone to do this, but you will see a difference in the projects or outcome of the projects the gifted kids choose. The gifted kids will do research projects, art projects, math, anything. I had a child build a model of the space needle one year. She used foam core and hotglue and did the whole thing based on photographs. It was quite well done. (Her father is an architect so perhaps it's genetic.) I also had kids do research reports, plan fundraisers, start buisnesses... it depends on their interest. Some kids just want to do math. I had an eight year old doing algebra two years ago. I would have time for this for about 15 minutes after they finished their morning message. But they could also work on their independent project when they finished early... this of course meant some kids always had lots of time for independent projects, so it goes. They would do many projects throughout the year. When they finished, they filed out a reflection form and presented their project to the class. Before they began, they had to write up a plan, listing the supplies they would need, how long it might take, it's purpose, etc.

Another thing I have done, and will be doing next year, is while I am working on something in guided groups, they work together on another project, or I tweak what their center activity is. This year, I am going to have them research different groups of people as we study the history of English in my class. The whole class will study this in their small groups, but they will be responsible for presenting to the class about the Anglos and Saxons, Normans, beyond what I tell the class about as part of this unit. They will work on this as everyone else does word study. (I am adding this to a program for dyslexia that I am doing. It works for all kids, but is so interesting because of the etymology aspect, that gifted kids should get really into word histories-- or so I hope!) Other years during word study, while I do phonics with other kids, they would do Greek and Latin roots.

We will all do a Shakespeare unit (also as part of this same year long unit I mentioned above) but I am going to assign the kids who can be, to be dramaturges. I copied this from wikipedia, so you can see what a dramaturge does: The dramaturge will often conduct research into the historical and social conditions, specific locations, time periods, and/or theatrical styles of plays chosen by the company. They will also look up words in the script to translate into modern meaning. I will be using a 3rd grade level Shakespeare biography that the whole class will read, and then we will read an adaption of A Midsummer's Night Dream (only 15 pages-15 minute performance) but in the original language. They will translate it.

You could do this with anything you are studying... if you are all studying the Revolutionary War, they could be assigned to research some aspect your ss curriculum doesn't get into as much, then present it to the class.

I feel like I basically treat my whole class as if it was GATE, but there are definte differences in what gifted children can do. I also usually have a fairly high number of LD kids, so you can imagine how much I have to adapt all over the place-- hence a program for LD in phonics/spelling that teaches about etymology and word roots? What could be better?

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

Wow, nice post, Littleschool!

I've realized too that the Gifted students often get involved in my Cranium Commanders program, which is very much like Mrs. Renz's program on her website.

I normally get many very bright and motivated students- not all necessarily Gifted, but intrigued by different topics and willing to try new things. This year's class, I have heard, has many who are very capable and may do well with some self-guided lessons. It may also show when I do Writer's Workshop!!

14. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

LOL! I've only had one over the past 2 years - maybe a local thing?

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

I've had 2 in three years. I don't know... it's kind of humorous. It's still humorous that you've had one!! :woot:

16. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

I've got fifteen gifted this year in a class of 21. I love teaching gifted kids, but this is crazy. I'm certified to teach gifted, but have always stayed in the regular ed classes due to not wanting to be as isolated from my peers as many gifted ed teachers are. So it's going to be an interesting year! I'm a little overwhelmed with planning and school hasn't even started. I have to think of a different approach to planning my units. I'll get the book you recommended.

17. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 7, 2007

Hey Ms. J,

Sorry for the delay in the post of the Science/Soc/Health Units... it's been a wild and wonderful week in 3rd grade so far... Our upcoming units in order of occurance are: Magnets (2 weeks), Landforms (4 weeks), Rocks, Minerals, and Soil (3 Weeks), Communities (1 week), Civics and Government (2 weeks), Economics (3 weeks), Georgia Regions/Symbols (2 weeks), Native Americans (1 week), Habitats/Conservation (3 weeks), We revisit Maps (2 weeks), Fossils (2 weeks), Heat (4 weeks). Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. I love the ones you posted earlier and so do the kids. I have let them explore a couple of them and they said "really cool".

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2007

Thank you! :) I'm glad the resources I recommended so far have worked. I'll try to come up with more over the coming time. Which ones did they like most? I'd like to see which I may want to show my kids from the beginning this year.

19. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 8, 2007

They absolutely LOVED the word jungle site and the GeoSpy.

20. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I'm not a montessori teacher, but I like their philosophy.

on mondays each student executes a goal sheet, as to what THEY will learn about throughout the weeks activities. THEY find or make the resources, and THEY figure out how to assess themselves. The teachers (who get paid to observe the children develop their own work and projects, get paid at a higher amount from what I've seen) help when it's necessary, but mostly talk with the children during portfolio time.

Each student must put their work in their portfolio to be graded. the teacher will grade based on effort, and other rubric strands, through an interview with the child. Also the portfolio is used with the Parent/Teacher interviews, as a showcase of development.

It's win win.

win for you, as you dont have to wrack your brain to figure out higher thinking activities.

win for the child, as they feel they are in control of their own learning. Promoting life long learning habits (which is our goal as teachers is it not)

just some thoughts

Mr. Skinner :D

21. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 8, 2007

Remember to give your gifted students DIFFERENT lessons, not just more of the same. More of the same is a punishment, not a reward.

Also, Gifted Education is Special Ed in many states, and if the parents push it, they can get an IEP requiring the school system to provide appropriate educational opportunities. I say, go for it. The lowest common denominator always gets served, why not the highest, for a change?

I loved teaching seventh grade G/T; there's something about hearing a 12-year-old boy read aloud from "Measure For Measure" that helps me believe there's hope for the world. We also put on a daily news program on that new-fangled dee-vice called a VCR.

They had a lot of fun putting out newspapers based on literature and history, too.

22. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

[​IMG]

WORD JUNGLE WINNER

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2007

YOU GO!!!! WOOT!!!!! :woot: :wow: :2up: :toofunny:

That's the site my students are addicted to as well. Each year, they've been on the quest to win. Some have!! What I like about that site, too, is that the kids can do it on four different levels- 3, 4, 5, and 6, I believe. There may also be a 2, yet I don't remember. :cool:

24. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 9, 2007

What is the website for the word jungle winner? That looks wonderful considering I know I have two gifted this year.

Also, when I first read the title of this thread I thought you were telling us that you were gifted because you finished everything for your classroom already. I was so jealous. You can tell where my head is I guess:)