I am FURIOUS

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by PEteacher07, Nov 6, 2008.

1. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Nov 6, 2008

To mix things up in my PE program we bring an in house program in for a week. In years past we did a skating program. The kids bring about $10 and they get to skate for a week. They get skates/blades in their size with all the safety equipment. We go through basic skating techniques and do fun games like the hokey pokey and other stuff like that.

Parents are calling to complain to our principal asking why they have to pay money for their child to do activities in PE. Ummm..hmmm..b/c this is a company and this is how they make money?!?!? It just angers me so much that we try to do something different and all the parents can do is complain. Our PTA can't afford the $4,000 it would take for all students to participate so the kids pay for it themselves. This has nothing to do with not being able to afford it either. I work at a middle-upper middle class school so the parents can afford it and I have had over 150 students already sign up b/c they have enjoyed it in the past.

So my principal said that next year unless we find a way that the students don't have to pay, that we won't do it anymore b/c of parent complaints. What about the kids who really want to do this and who's parents don't mind paying the small amount of money for the opportunity? What about my TA and I who genuinely enjoy doing this program with our students? Do we not matter? Apparently not. Just the complaining parents matter. If they don't want to pay, fine. We will have other activities scheduled for the kids so it's not like they are being kicked out of our class for the week. They just don't get to participate in the paid program. I don't do any fund raising for PE anymore. I don't do the cancer/diabetes walk or Jump Rope for Heart b/c the parents feel like they are being squeezed everywhere else with picture day, cookie dough sales, etc for the school.

I don't even know what to do. I almost want the kids who participated to go home and tell their parents how much they enjoyed so the parents who do like the program can stand up for us.

So much for trying to do fun things for my students :|

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2008

Could it be that this year, they simply don't have the money?

I'm guessing that it's the same parents who had no problem finding the money last year. But put 2 or 3 siblings in the same school, 2 months before Christmas, and this year that $20 or $30 may be a lot harder to find.

Kids signing up is a whole different matter than parents having the money.

And the kids who don't have the money don't get to do it? You're still running it as a class in a public school, only with a great divide between the "haves" and the "have nots"????

It's not possible to make it instead into an intramural kind of thing after school, so it's not quite so obvious that some kids simply cannot afford it?

To be quite honest, if I were a parent in your school, I would now be the FURIOUS one. And your principal and superintendent would hear of it, whether or not I was able to fork up the $10 per child.

And as to this: "What about my TA and I who genuinely enjoy doing this program with our students? Do we not matter?" Of course you matter. But, as a parent, your enjoyement of your job is not my primary concern. Right now, I'm a whole lot more concerned about a LOT of other things-- paying my bills, getting dinner on the table, heating my house this winter, paying for Christmas. Your opportunity to teach a fun unit simply is not on my list of priorities.

4. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

At first I read your post and I was sympathetic. However, I took a step back and thought about it. While you do teach in an upper middle class area it doesn't mean that everyone is well off. So the money is definitely an issue especially for the families with multiple students in the school.

Also, I'm not sure if running it during regular gym time is fair. To exclude the children that did not pay is punishing the students who have no say in the matter. (While you may not think it's a punishment because they still do have a gym class it is different because they know that their classmates are able to participate in the skating activity and not them.) This sounds like a program that would run more successfully as an after school program that the students are expected to pay for.

If you really feel so strongly about allowing the students to participate in this program maybe you should consider doing the fund raising again on your own terms.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 7, 2008

Money is tight for everyone right now with how our economy is and it is not going to get better that is probably what it comes down to.
    The students in my area can barely afford field trips and daily snacks.
    Think of some other programs that you can do that are free or start a fundraising program. Maybe you can do the programs once a month.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2008

Paying for PE enrichment kind of stuff makes sense for after school activities- not for during the school day. Taxes are high everywhere (and are predicted to go up) and the economy is bad. Start a skating club after school if you want....

7. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Nov 7, 2008

I agree that times are tough for everyone. I understand your disappointment, but with today's economy you can't expect everyone to be able to pay for this. I'm sure people don't look at me and think that I can't afford to pay for little things like this, but to be honest, I would be one of those parents right now struggling to scrape up $10 for my child. Add to the fact that it is very near to the holidays, heating/electricity prices are up, as well as food prices...I can completely see where these complaining parents are coming from. Also, I cannot believe that as a public school teacher you would even think of excluding children from this program for not being able to pay.

8. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2008

We do the skating thing at my school about every other year, which is how often they refinish the gym floor. The school district pays for the program, not the parents. Last year the PE staff let the kids bring in their own skates because many of the kids thought it was gross to use the rental skates (I agree; I brought my own skates and skated with the kids during my plan period. They thought my old school quad skates were crazy).

9. Live4Learning

Live4Learning Rookie

Nov 7, 2008

I agree that just because this is a middle-upper middle class school does not mean the parents aren't struggling financially. This is an incredibly hard year for people in all socioeconomic classes. My family and I are middle class and $10.00 right now is gold. We do not have an extra $10.00. In fact we need about 100 $10. bills right now so we don't miss a mortgage payment or our car payments. Looks can be deceiving. My husband gets paid well but it's all in overtime. The way the economy is he is getting ZERO overtime and I am searching high and low for a job. So I say don't judge the parents that complained because they could just as well be struggling. Times are really hard and we have to supportive of each other even if it means losing out on a fun activity.

Here's to a Peasant Christmas!!!

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 7, 2008

I'm sorry you're so disappointed but I too have to agree with everyone else. I've had kids who were middle class that still had tight budgets, especially if they have more than one kid. $10.00 is a lot of money for some families. We forget that sometimes. Activities in public school should be free and like everything else it's our responsiblity to fill in the gaps. Why not have your P.T.A. buy a parachute or come up with some other fun activity?

11. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

I am sorry, but $10 per child adds up and it could be very painful for many families right now. As a parent I would pay but I would question why we had no choice in the matter. Do it after school or somehow get a grant to cover the cost. It sounds like a great activity but it doesn't seem to fit in your budget.

12. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Nov 7, 2008

ok I think they are being harsh by cutting the program all together, it is one week out of the year. and could they not let it continue and just do it as like maybe a pull out type program. where maybe for that week during like that grades recess or something it is worked out where some of them can come and do the skating program instead of recess. That way the ones who do not want to or the parents are opposed to them doing it are not obligated or are not punished by watching their friends get to do something fun and they don't get to do the same things. Also could you work something out with the company and maybe those kids who have the skates and proper equipment only pay half price if they bring their own. That might provide a cheaper option for many. Also ask for parents to maybe volunteer the use of their kids skates and gear (all clearly labeled with their name) for the week so that the ones that will lend the use of their stuff for the week can benefit others. I really thing it should be an all or none program if you are doing it during regular pe time. also see if parents would donate old outgrown skates and gear to the school so that eventually you can have your own program when ever you like. many parent would probably spend a $1 or 2 on a pair of skates at a yard sale if they knew they could donate them and them be put to good use. I know i would.
    Also a good fundraiser that might raise some if not most of the money for the whole school to do it is penny wars.
    you compete by grades and every classroom has a container of some sort clearly labeled and kids bring in pennies and other change. the pennies are worth 1 point each for their grade but for every silver coin put in their container that monetary value is deducted in points and at the end the class or grade however you do it wins. and you could do like an ice cream party for the winning class which would run you like maybe 30 bucks. and the gain from the competition would be much more. Those who do not have a lot of money could contribute too because it is only pennies. Those who can contribute more can and it does not tag those who can afford it and those that can't. Also just thing if you raise more than is needed you have money to put into gym equipment.

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2008

Our private school did this last year, and I was so angry...because they decided to "offer" the program during PE...so, if you paid for the fun class (it happened to be hiphop dance and gymnastics); then your child went to the specialty class...only 3-5 parents paid for the class...while everybody else had PE.

I'm sorry, it was a dumb move; the company made absolutely nothing and they fizzled out the specialty class due to low enrollment...so unfair to the paying parents. I was very very upset and my child wasn't even taking a class...this is something they should have offered as an after school enrichment physical ed class. I'll bet you...rather than paying for "daycare" somewhere...the parents would have gladly paid for the program after school.

We never should have offered the program during school.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2008

I've got to tell you, that first line has been bothering me all day. And it seems very much at odds with your closing statement.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 7, 2008

I sympathize. It's really rough when you come up with great ideas and the funding isn't there. That happens to me all the time. Whether or not asking for the money is right, it's still disappointing.

16. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Nov 7, 2008

This is not about money. It is about our parents trying to run the school and have their way just like they always have and my principal (who doesn't have the easiest job) lets them. This has been happening for a long time, and no one will stand up to the parents and say that the school will be ran the way the staff and principal think it should be ran.

Last year we did the in house Dance Dance Revolution program and the year before we did skating so the kids know what it was like to do both programs. Our PTA paid for the DDR last year but they didn't anticipate it costing the $4,000 that it did. Since they paid for every child, every child did it. Some of them didn't enjoy it so instead of forcing the students to do it when they don't want to do it, we will have other activities set up for them. If the kids are not doing this program, it is b.c they don't want to. Some kids don't like to skate or were not interested in the the video game concept.

I can't take the kids who aren't participating in the program anywhere else during their PE times. The weather is cold so they can't go outside. The cafeteria is being used for lunch. Not to mention it is my assistant and I and upwards of 95 children and we have no other help. I can't do this after school b/c we have tutoring several days a week and I have no other place to move the equipment since after school program takes over my gym. When the grade levels come to PE, the teachers get their conferences so sending the kids back to class isn't an option and I wouldn't do it anyway b/c they need to come out to the gym and get the wiggles out. We are already planning what activities the other students are going to do. Essentially, we will take our regular games and modify to fit a smaller amount of students and a smaller space. All the students will have a successful and fun week regardless of whether they do the DDR or have regular PE.

As of now, I have close to 300 children (about 1/2 to 3/4 of each class) who are signed up and ready to go. This is the one week out of the year that the kids to "break out of the box" and do something different. Our classes are large and with only 2 adults watching, we are VERY structured b/c we have to be for safety and classroom management reasons.

Sorry if I sounded frustrated earlier when I initially posted. I just am upset that a few complaining parents (I guarantee you it's the ones who complain about everything else at our school) are deciding on the fate of program that is a week long and that 300 kids are going to absolutely love as they have done in years past. That just isn't right.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2008

I'm sorry. I don't mean to be argumentative.

But we're a 2 teacher family. Even before the economy crashed, this was going to be a tough Christmas. Now we're watching our pennies.

In a family like mine, with 3 kids in elementary school, that $30 could buy a LOT of pasta and sauce. I could throw in some ground beef for meatballs. Lots of Peanut Butter and Jelly and some bread. Some soup. I could get some milk and some juice.

If you think this isn't the reality for the families of the kids you're teaching, you simply haven't been paying attention.

That $30 would make a difference if it's put into the collection plate tomorrow for some family that's struggling a lot more than we are. It could buy a LOT of canned goods for the food pantry.

The $30 you would be asking from my family would fund 3 Christmas gifts if I shop carefully. I could get a book for each of my kids, and possibly also a family video. Or I could get one big family gift. I could get my daughter some of the Hannah Montanna stuff she wants. I know my 2 younger kids still believe in Santa... I'm not so sure about my son. So how on earth would I explain to them that the money went to fund their public school gym class instead of those gifts under the tree???

This year I'm looking for lots of bang for my buck at Christmas time. I'm shopping sales and looking for gifts that look like a lot under the tree. We've already agreed to cut gift exchanges with the adults in my family, as well as with my sister and brother in law. Like lots of Americans-- including those who have participated in your program in the past-- money is tight this year. So things we have done in the past simply are NOT possible this year. My kids understand that. I'm having a bit of trouble understanding why it's not as clear to you.

18. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2008

PETeacher, is this a private school or public?

19. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Nov 8, 2008

But you are being argumentative and I don't really appreciate or respect your opinion b/c of your negativity.

Please do not sit there and tell me about "getting their wiggles out" are my convictions as a PE teacher. That is a STATEMENT that I made in this post and does not reflect my PE philsophy. My kids do pushups and and situps everyday with 10 kids who maxed out the pushup CD during their fitness testing at 86 pushups. We do some sort of running/aerobic activity every day when the kids walk in. The kids work on hand/eye coordination, foot/eye coordination, teamwork, game strategies, flexibility, locomotor movements, and proper socialization. I have a running club after school and I have kids as young as 2nd grade who are running 3 miles and are also running local races on the weekends. I just finished my first 10K last month and this morning 5 of my students and I ran a 2 mile race. Since August I have had 64 entries from my elementary students in local running races. I dare you to find a PE teacher who is as passionate about her job as I am. Please do not say anything about my abilities as a physical education teacher when you have never walked in my gym or seen my 20 Pre-K students, 75 kinder kids, 95 first graders, 75 second graders, 70 third graders, 85 fourth graders, and 65 fifth graders in action.

And since you apparently seem to know about the financial situation in our town and my families, lets say that the parents don't want to pay or can't pay, their kids will still have fun in my class for that one week out of the year. The ONE WEEK. Concerning our PTA, I didn't ask them to pay for our program this year b/c they paid for it last year. Since I teach in a wealthy school, our PTA does have a lot of money available, but since I didn't ask them to pay for it last spring when they mapped out their budget, they have no money set aside for it. I am hoping that my principal will allow us to do it again that maybe the PTA can help us pay for part of it so the complaining parents will only have to pay a few dollars a child.

We are a public school of PreK through 5th grade with about 500 students. Our PreK and Kinder kids don't do this program b/c they only have 30 minute daily class periods while 1st-5th have 45 minute daily class periods. Plus, I don't think they would "get it."

20. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2008

Our students run 3 laps and then it's free play outside...on the swings, bars, etc.... During "seasonal" sports, he has them playing the particular sport...which is pretty terrific. I have always believed that it's good for the kids to have free play during their PE, but I know times have changed...and since our PE teacher does just that, our program works well.
    Since we are a private school, because of what happened last year...the principal has chosen NOT to have extracurricular PE activities during PE, which I am glad...it made for such confusion. It wasn't done properly.
    I suggested that the specialty classes become after school activities, but the company wasn't interested. :blush: Duh, that's when they are busy and making more $$$ at their gym.

21. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2008

I have been at our school for 9 years and in that time, we have had at least 6 PE teachers!!! :( Only 3 of them did "extensive" PE as you...and I must admit...those really were great PE years!

22. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2008

Could you do some fundraising for next year? Maybe some businesses around the school or in the town would help sponsor it? Sounds like an awesome program!!!!

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2008

Forgive me if somehow the "quote" button malfunctioned. I merely reacted to something you wrote. I don't know you and have no idea how good or dedicated a teacher you are. All I know of you is what you've posted.

I never claimed to be omniscient. I do know what it's like to raise 3 kids in a tough economy. I do know what it's like to have my entire economic stimulas check go to the local oil company. I do know what it's like to buy more pasta these days than I have ever bought in my life. I know what it's like to see thousands of dollars simply disappear from our retirement fund. One statement, they were there, the next month they weren't.

But maybe you're right. Maybe you really do have your hands on the pulse of the community in which you teach. Maybe you've seen the bankbooks and the bills, and you know that they can afford the $10, but choose not to spend it.

Maybe your little corner of the world is different from every place I've read about. Maybe the fears of a recession haven't hit your neighborhood yet. Maybe all those incredibly wealthy people had their money in a pillowcase, where it wasn't vulnerable to the economic freefall. Maybe the incredible increase in the price of home heating oil doesn't matter to them. Maybe they haven't heard the latest rumors about GM being in trouble, and don't care about all the recent buyouts and the bailouts paid for by our tax money. Maybe they've somehow found jobs from which they can't be laid off or excessed.

Maybe those parents are just mean. They have the money. They just choose not to spend it so that their kids will feel bad and left out. After all, a little hardship is good for the soul. Having the other kids speculate that they're too poor to afford the cooler gym activity will help them become better people. You know the old line-- "That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger." In fact, the kids probably won't even notice "those kids" who don't participate in the skating.

Maybe you're right and I'm wrong.

Ah, well. At least I tried. I'm done. I hope it works out for you.

24. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2008

PETeacher,
    It may very well be about money. You say that Alice doesn't know about your school or the community in which you teach. I say you don't know what's going on in the financial lives of the families in your school. I live in an upper-middle class suburb of Chicago where many families who weren't struggling before are struggling now. I have several students who have shared with me that they might have to move because their families can no longer afford their houses.
    I second Alice - for some families, $10 per child would be taking groceries off the dinner table. I know that my own pocketbooks is quite a bit tighter this year - I teach and my husband is self-employed. We'll be having a leaner Christmas, and I know my 4 and 7 year old daughters are going to wonder why Santa isn't as generous as he was in the past!

25. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2008

PETeacher, do you know about www.pecentral.com? There's all kinds of fun things on there.
    I wish you were my daughter's gym teacher. We homeschool, and I wish her gym teacher had such high standards.

26. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2008

I had to take a peek there myself, Becky...I love the Bulletin Boards!

27. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 8, 2008

Wow. I think some people need to take a deep breath.

I happen to mention this thread to my husband as we were driving today. He fully supported you, PETeacher. His reasoning? How many of those parents pick up a Starbucks or lunch a couple of times a week? So pack your lunch one day and let your kid skate for the week. That's how I feel as well.

I know the economy is doing poorly. But it's not affecting everyone, and it's not affecting all communities. We've seen no signs of it where we are. The sushi restaurant we had dinner at tonight was packed, and people were ordering it up. I could have paid for five kids' skating week with what our dinner cost. So..... that's my two cents. People drop $10 in frivolous ways, even in a bad economy.

It's like when kids can't 'afford' to go on a field trip, so the teacher or the PTA picks up the bill. Then the kid shows up wtih $20 for the gift shop.

28. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 8, 2008

I agree with Jem, yet I understand all points of view. How many of these parents have at least one video game system in their houses with a plethora of $50.00 games? Every kid, even those on FREE LUNCH, seems to have a system (or two, or three) these days.

29. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2008

Jem,
    Perhaps because you are not a parent of a school age child, you do not see first hand how we are nickel and dimed for every little thing that comes up. Besides school supplies and the milk fee for each semester (which I do not have a problem with), parents are asked to pay for everything from Junior Great Books in the elementary school to the $150 calculator for eighth grade math.
    So yeah, ten bucks may not be all that much, but when you put that on top of everything else parents have to pay for, many parents finally just say enough already.

30. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 8, 2008

For the most part in our school, everything has been of free cost. Our rock climbing program in P.E. is free, yet something had to fund the program in the first place.

It has been a difficult year for our economy, most obviously, because I have already lost three students this year, likely due to foreclosures. At least one, anyhow. However, some parents are frivolous in how they spend money, more so on themselves or in the act of trying to impress their kids with what everyone else has (keeping up with the Joneses).

I've had parents worried about gas in their cars to get to our school, also, so yes... I do see both sides.

31. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Nov 8, 2008

I love PE Central!! What I usually have to do is take their games and modify them to fit my classes. Most game ideas are for smaller classes and with 95 first graders and 85 overly competitive and rowdy 4th graders, we have to be very creative.

Oh Lord, there are some PE teachers that literally roll out the balls and sit in a chair in the middle of their gym and watch the kids play. That isn't physical education. That is baby sitting. The kids don't learn anything and they certainly aren't getting their heart rate up. Ours get one free day a week and that is when they get to pick their own activities. My really avid runners will log in mileage even though they could have played with hoops, basketballs, footballs, and jump ropes.

I know a gal who student taught at one of our local high schools and they were not allowed to make the girls sweat. :eek: Yeah, that is going to be an effective way to get kids healthier. Kids are even more overweight in high school b/c they only have to do a few semesters of physical education unless they are exempt by being in competitive athletics, band, etc.

There is a Starbucks right down the street from my school and the drive through is wrapped around the store every morning. I see my students come in with lattes which I think is ridiculous. I dont' drink coffee but I know those things are at least $3-$4 each. During lunch time there are at least 10-15 parents at any point in the cafeteria bringing lunch to their kids. The kids who aren't having lunch delivered to them are buying the ice cream and cookies in the lunch line at an extra dollar a pop. (As a PE teacher, I wish they weren't given that option when looking at the growing childhood obesity issue in our country.)

Don't get me started about the clothes and stuff that my students have. They were Abercrombie and other expensive brands, have nicer cell phones in elementary school than I do, and wear the expensive tennis shoes. I never got a name brand pair of tennis shoes until I was in 6th grade b/c I am 6'2" so I was growing out of clothes and shoes much faster than the other average height children my age.

And yes, our economy is great where I live. Our cost of living is extremely low and we are doing just fine here.

And for the person who asked about fundraising. We aren't doing it in the gym at all anymore. The school itself does a few major ones every year so doing one in the gym will have our complaining parents complaining even more!

32. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 8, 2008

The teacher side of me completely understands your frustration. The parent side of me disagrees. Before I started getting into this field my view point was completely different. I try to remember that when I think about issues such as this one. I also get to hear my husband's point-of-view and remember that those of us in the education field see things a little differently than those of us on the home front.

Some parents, including my husband and my former self, feel like we pay taxes (a lot of dough) so our kids can get their "free education." I pay for school supplies, school clothes, lunch money and before/after school care. All of those, along with the taxes add up. Even if I have money left over, I don't want to spend it on three kids constantly. Once in a while is fine and I want my kids to enjoy themselves and learn. If you hit me at the wrong time of the year, I might react too. I'll give you another example. My kids go to a wonderful after school program that is part of the boys/girls club (on base). I absolutely love them and I even teach a sign language club for 8 weeks each school year voluntarily. Although they offer a lot of things within the prices we pay, they have always had some extras that you had to pay for. Lately they have added too many extras all with added fees. My husband won't let the kids do ANY of them just because he is tired of feeling marketed to. We usually let them participate in one or two of the lower cost activities but there was a breaking point. Whether we could afford it or not was not really the point. There comes a time when parents feel like it needs to be included in the cost. In your case, the cost is in the taxes. I'm also one of those parents who totally disagree with any school not providing teachers with teacher supplies such as dry erase markers and passing that cost to me. I pay my $500/mo in taxes. I expect not to have to pay for the teacher's basic office supplies. Now that I work in this field, I don't begrudge the teachers for putting those things on their school supply list.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I agree that your enjoyment is not the most critical component. I do think I would like my child to do the skating thing if it were me, but I also know that parents don't like to have to constantly pay for things all the time. $10 isn't much but in the grand scheme of things..raising children is very expensive. Whether or not I have money left over at the end of the month is not part of the issue. I have a right to balance my costs, look to the future and save.

The thing that would bother me as a teacher is that the kids have always done this and that means they were probably looking forward to it. That's the unfortunate casualty.

33. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Nov 8, 2008

Of course not. I was just saying that my TA and I enjoy doing this with our students and we love seeing their excitement and how much they get into it. You even mention "DDR" and "Dance Dance Revolution" to our kids and they just start wiggling around and get really pumped up.

34. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 8, 2008

I have to give you kudos for going out of your way to find a company to provide the extra stuff for that price for a solid week. It is obviously highly motivational. I don't fault you at all as a teacher for going the extra mile. I just remember how parents with taxes, kids and bills feel, that's all.

35. cmw

cmw Groupie

Nov 9, 2008

I found myself in a similar bind last year when the students had to pay for recorders. My school is 50-60% poverty and many get reduced school fees. The cost was $10 for the recorder & book (both of which they get to keep). It is an important part of the curriculum b-c it allows them to learn how to read music & actually own an instrument. It also prepares them for band which we have in 5th grade. Those that could not afford it were taken care of so everyone got the items. My only frustration was the attitude of some of what they could afford. In some cases it was just that it was NOT important to them. I also realize with some of these students/ parents homework is not important...so it's all a matter of perspective. I intend on doing it again this year but will make the book optional. If we get to a point where many cannot afford the recorders then I will use fundraisers to make it happen. Good luck!

36. cmw

cmw Groupie

Nov 9, 2008

Is it possible for the school to put it on the fee list at the beginning of the year? That way it could be paid with everything else. :D

37. frogger

frogger Devotee

Nov 9, 2008

Exactly. I had about 7 students "qualify" for an economic waiver at the beginning of the school year but somehow they have money for the gift shop when we on our field trip, etc.