I am freaking out!!!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jojothesub, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Ross

Ross Comrade

Aug 22, 2012

Time not well spent sitting around staring at the telephone waiting for phone calls. There are part time jobs that may be available out there but they will remain hidden if your job focus is so narrow that phone calls for substituting opportunities is all you wait for.

Hoping that your "freaking out" was only a literary device to make your posting more interesting. The students need an adult in the classroom that will give them the full attention they need that day to have the best chance for learning. They cannot have someone in the classroom that is distracted and fretting over the next teaching assignment.

Based on your last years schedule, you should be very busy in a very short time. Please considered only accepting teaching positions that you feel highly qualified to teach. With the selections available in your large district, that should not be a overwhelming problem.

2. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 22, 2012

MissCeliaB,

How many teachers work in your building? One of the school I worked for last year had 60 teachers. And they would call me almost everyday.

3. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 22, 2012

Linguist92021,

I wish I had year-round schools where I live. Unfortunately, I don't. You are right, there is nothing I can do, but wait. The calls will come in, I know that for sure.

4. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 24, 2012

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that I received a call to sub at a middle school SPED class this morning at 7:27 a.m. I am so happy and really hope that the calls will start coming now. By the way, there were 2 subs today in the building.

5. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 27, 2012

I'm glad a job came through for you! In our area, an educational company provides subs for many, many, many districts so I hope I won't have to wait much longer than the third week of school for phone calls.

6. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Aug 27, 2012

Tomorrow is the second day of school here, and I was just called to sub tomorrow. I actually have seen 3 positions listed for this week (including this one). I was surprised. I figured that the teachers would want to be there so early. My question is, how the children will do with their teacher not there. This is third grade and they do switch classes, so their other teacher will be there. I love this group of teachers, they've always made me feel welcome. What usually takes place on the second day? Are they still going over rules, or starting to give assessments to see where the students are in their studies?

7. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 27, 2012

I had to take a day off the Monday of the 3rd week due to my toddler throwing up all over himself in the car on the way to work. I also had to take a day off last week (5th week of school) for my son having a high fever. I hate taking sick days this early in the school year, especially since I am at a new school.

I had a team member who was at school on the first day, then took 4 personal days off to take her son to a sports competition. It happens that teachers are out in those first few days, but not highly likely.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 28, 2012

I'm sitting in front of the webpage where the sub-jobs pop up every night. i haven't been refreshing it often, more like every 5 minutes (instead of the allowed 15 seconds) but so far I've seen 6 jobs posted, most of them for next week.
    Obviously there are a lot of subs out there for these jobs, but don't worry, you won't have to wait until October.

People still have things they can't avoid to do (doctor's appointments, jury duty, and last minutes things coming up, and there will be a lot of in-service and training days).
    I'm booked for the next 2 months with the exception of 1 week, but still just want to look, so I know what's out there :)

9. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 29, 2012

Linguist92021,

I got 2 calls to sub today. The school I worked at today had 3 subs for the day; so yes I will not have to wait until october.

Also, the schools I work at have at least 40 teachers, so there is always a teacher out on most days if not every day.

I had the 1st graders today and they were angels. School started at 8:20 and ended at 1:50 p.m. Talking about a short day of work, well could not be any better. Love subbing!!!

10. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 31, 2012

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I got a call this morning to sub today and another call this afternoon to sub next tuesday since monday is Labor Day. So things are really starting to pick up for me and I am really happy about it.

11. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Sep 3, 2012

Good for you jojo! I have been in your shoes and know how it is during a dry spell. Most of the school year, I could work every single day if I wanted to, but there were times it would slow down a lot. I'm glad you have some breathing room now.

12. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 3, 2012

Yup, I called the school I sub sometime last week and they said by late September/October, I should get calls. I only worked during the last week of school and I got 3 days, which I was thrilled about. For me, though, I'm student teaching so there may be days I will probably have to deny or work out with the school. Gah.

13. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Sep 7, 2012

Two years ago, I worked only three of the first 17 days, but ended up with 168 for the year.

This year I have worked only five of the first 18, but I expect to be at least at 160 by year's end.

It does take time.

14. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Sep 7, 2012

Hi all,

I wanted to let you know that I worked 4 days this week for the same school (monday was labor day). So things have picked up.

15. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Sep 9, 2012

I have the same question--thankfully I decided to take everyones advice from last year and open myself up to EVERY school in the district--including preschool and elementary. The more the better!

Glad to know it's normal not to get calls the first few weeks--but I need/want that paycheck!