I am freaking out!!!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jojothesub, Aug 17, 2012.

1. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

Hi all,

School is starting this monday and I am literally freaking out. I work for one of the biggest districts of the nation as a sub and have started subbing in March of 2012.
    I cannot complain about getting assignments in my district. I have gotten calls just about every day (did not get called only 3 times in a 3 months period. However, I do not know how it works the very first days.
    Do subs get calls on the first day of school? Please share any experience you have had subbing at the beginning of the year.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

Give it a few weeks. Teachers typically are IN SCHOOL the first few weeks...

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2012

In my years of subbing about 2 1/2 yrs... I don't think I was ever called the first couple of weeks. Don't fret!!!

5. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

Czacza and DisneeTeachr,

Thank you for your replies. I really need some hope. After spending the whole summer with no incoming "income" I am desperate.

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 17, 2012

Usually subs are not called until after the first few weeks of school UNLESS a long term sub is needed for a medical reason such as pregnancy or some type of surgery. I would talk to your HR and let them know that you are interested in long term subbing.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 17, 2012

I never got called until October.

8. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Aug 17, 2012

In my experience, jobs are usually pretty hard to come by in the first month of the year. You may get lucky, but plan for calls to really start up in October.

However, I have been able to sub the second day of school in the past... this year I am also supposed to be subbing the first week of school. There are jobs out there!

9. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

Alwaysattend,

The district I work for has almost 400 schools and about 20,000 teachers. Should'nt I be a little hopeful about finding work the first few days? I have called 8 schools so I can be added to their sub lists.
    What do you think?

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

Hopes for the first few days are really slim...workshops haven't started, teachers need those first few days to set up procedures and get to know the students...:sorry: it's going to take a few weeks for the most part.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 17, 2012

Very few teachers are out the first few weeks, but around the 3rd or 4th week we begin assessments and call subs to cover classes while we do it.

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 17, 2012

Have hope! It can happen! A few years ago I had jury duty the first few days of school... *yikes*

13. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

Czacza,

How about last minute emergencies such as car accidents, illnesses, death in the family. What happens if a teacher gets really sick the first day of the year? The district I work for is the fourth largest district in the nation. Last year I had three to four schools calling me at a time to sub on the same day. I am so worried now, that I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it.

I will definitely keep everybody posted beginning monday. Please pray for me.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

Wow. Certainly unexpected incidents such as those you mentioned can happen any day, but I wouldn't count on or hope for such terrible things.:mellow:

15. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

Czacza,

I really would not wish for any of these incidents to happen to anyone. If I offended anyone, please forgive me...

I will stay optimistic and and hope that I will get at least one call the first week.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

Of course you wouldn't...it just gave me the heeby jeebies to read that...:huh:

I wish you luck in your subbing this year. I'm sure you'll get called for a job soon...I just hope the teacher who needs coverage is out for a more 'run of the mill' reason.

17. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 17, 2012

Thank you Czacza. Hopefully it will be a good year of subbing. Imagine not getting any money for two months, how difficult that can be. I feel like I was on "Pause" for those two months. Wow...

18. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 17, 2012

Even though there are a lot of schools, there are also a lot of subs, some of whom might get priority over you. They may be really good and respected by teachers who want them specifically, former teachers from the district, or people who know people. I know in the district I subbed in, one of the worst subs always worked when there was work available (even though she wasn't a certified teacher) because her uncle was on the BOE. I student taught with her in my room one day and the principal went out of her way the next day to tell the teacher there was a horrible sub I guess trying to make her feel guilty about taking off (even though I taught everything anyway and the sub just sat at the teacher's desk all day).

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

Teachers in my dstrict don't get paid in the summer either...it gets tough by the last weeks of August...
    I wish you well.

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2012

We started school on Tuesday. Monday night one of our teachers lost her Grandmother. She had a sub all week. One of our TA's lost her mother the week before school started, that funeral is next week.

Because we have an extended school year, we do have PDs that are the first couple of weeks. At least 1 teacher will be out later this month for a PD.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2012

I have a workshop the 2nd Friday of the school year, so I will have a half day sub. The first week is very slim, but you should start getting a day here and there in the 2nd week. I wouldn't expect to get 4-5 days a week until October.

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2012

Not at the beginning of the year, but after one of the vacations a teacher called in because they had a flat... I had to get there like ASAP one time. They covered for like 5mins then I subbed the rest of the day.... So life does happen....

23. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 18, 2012

Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to read my post and replied. After all it is what it is... Subbing is not a full-time job. And I have to be grateful that I even have a job these days.
    I will be patient...

24. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 18, 2012

Yes, there is no point in getting anxious. You know what you have signed up for.

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2012

It does happen. I've subbed the first few weeks of schoo before. As a sub, all you can do is get to school early, get as much info as you can to prepare for the day, talk to the teacher next door, and so on.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 18, 2012

Good luck & enjoy! I've personally subbed at the beginning of the year because I've done many long-term assignments lasting either all year or some months.

27. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 18, 2012

Teachers won't take days off right at the beginning, but by the end of the 1st month you might see teachers out for training, etc.
    Teachers are also out for last minute problems (getting sick, something happened) and that can happen any time, including the first week.
    So don't stress, just be ready :)

28. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 21, 2012

Hi all,

As I promised you, I would keep all of you informed whether I was called for subbing or not. Well, no call yet. I am still hopeful that I will get a call before friday of this week. Let's see...

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2012

When did school start, jojo?

30. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 21, 2012

Hi Czacza,

School started yesterday, August 20. I am literally glued to my phone early in the morning, waiting for that magical phone call.

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2012

Do they have your cell phone number? You need to not be sitting around and waiting...go have some fun..the calls will come in time.

32. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 21, 2012

:yeahthat:

If they call you for a second half day, and it's last minute it will probably be by 10:30 or 11 am. After that go do something :)

33. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 22, 2012

Linguist92021,

It's 9:05, and I am literally glued to the phone, staring at it constantly. I am hoping for anything, a second half day, a first half day. Anything would make me smile. Right now, I am thinking what if do not get a call until October.

I called one of the school I subbed for last year (I have gotten calls from that school almost every day) . And I spoke to the sub locator personally. She even told me that as soon as she had something she would call me.

This is really stressful...

34. ShellyAve

ShellyAve Rookie

Aug 22, 2012

I wouldn't expect anything until at least October unless someone is having a serious medical issue. I can't imagine missing the first few weeks of school unless I was on my deathbed!

35. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 22, 2012

Linguist92021,

Of course they have my cell phone. They always make sure that they have at least a cell phone number.
    I am waiting for my Biology Test Preparation book to arrive by mail any minute now. I am planning to take the Florida Biology Exam very soon. At least I will keep myself busy.

And I am sure I am not the only sub in that desperate situation.

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

To be honest, if things are "desperate" I would look to other avenues for some cash-- can you work nights in a local store or restaurant to provide an income? What part time work did you do in college?

The reality is that there's no way to predict when people will get sick and need to call in. But, as Shelly Ave said, most try very hard NOT to call in during the first few weeks.

My husband is starting school next week with a PICC line in his arm, going down to the nurse at 2pm for his IV antibiotics.

37. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 22, 2012

I got work once on Sept. 1. , but it's usually not until after Thanksgiving that I start getting calls.

38. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

Jojo...sounds like you were very busy as a sub last year...there's no reason to think it will be any different this year:thumb: you will not have to wait too long...Definitely not until November.

In the meantime, if you are having financial concerns, Alice's suggestion about part time jobs is a good one.:thumb:

39. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 22, 2012

Czacza,

Talking about very busy, I was not only very busy; I was a little annoyed by the fact that 3-4 schools were calling me on the same day. Sometimes, we are not grateful for having some things, until we do not have them anymore. What a life...

40. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 22, 2012

I don't know if this is an option for you, but it would be great if you could get on the sub list for a year round school district. Some of them went back to work in July, so for them the beginning of September is like October for others. This would also work out later because they wouldn't have the same breaks; obviously winter break would be the same time, but one might be shorter, spring break might fall on different weeks, etc.

I really don't think you have to wait until October. I remember last year I already subbed in early September at a K-8 district, and saw a lot of jobs popping up daily. I wasn't really looking at them every day because I was busy at the other school district, but all I have to say is don't stress. There's really nothing you can do.

Right now I'm at home, this is my second day off, and i don't really like it, because I'm losing money. But I've worked every day for the past month and I'm booked for the next 1 month, so I just try not to think about it. Instead, I'm trying to do things I haven't had time for until now.

41. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 22, 2012

We have four teachers out today: two with death in the family, two with sick kids. So, there are four subs in our building today.