I am finally a job seeker!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tiki7719, Dec 12, 2015.

1. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Dec 12, 2015

Hello all!

I've been a long time sporadic poster on this forum. I finally (after many years) completed the requirements to earn my Masters in Curriculum and Instruction as well as my teaching license in Mild/Moderate Special Education. After a bumpy beginning with my student teaching placement, I had a WONDERFUL experience and miss my little ones dearly.

Yesterday, I had a job interview (YAY!) at a high school level in an urban district (although its for a long term sub position). The job interview went extremely well with the principal and assistant principal. I was able to answer all the questions thoroughly. The three of us had a thorough discussion of what classes I would be in charge of, the demographics of the school, and other duties the job entails. After the interview, I immediately followed up with a thank you email to both the principal and assistant principal.

At the end of the interview, the principal informed me it'll be in my best interest to familiarize myself this weekend with the reading program the school uses-- Read 180 as it is part of the curriculum. I responded by letting him know that not only I will read up on it, but I'll ask my fellow teacher friends about the program. Additionally, biology is part of the curriculum. I am not a biology major as my undergrad was in History/Social Studies. I let the principal know I will speak with my friend who teaches biology at a local high school for helpful and relevant content material.

The only downfall: I do not have much experience at the high school level due to my student teaching placement being in a K-8 building.

Please keep your fingers crossed for me :) :)

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Dec 12, 2015

You might also want to look into what kind of professional development you can be doing (should you get the position) to help reassure the P that you will be able to handle the subjects. I would try to say something more than "I will read up on it and ask people about it...", try to find online resources for lessons/activities, teaching methods, and content knowledge that will be helpful to you.

4. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Dec 13, 2015

Thank you for the advice :) During the interview, he asked me about my HQT status. I let him know I will be HQT in social studies/history, and reading, however, I will do what is necessary to become HQT is any other subject areas that need be.

Should I get the position, I will definitely be asking on the board for resources pertaining to subject areas I am not too familiar with.