I am feeling so down...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rainbowbird, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 29, 2011

The last two positions I applied for were filled internally (although they advertised them because they had to, I guess).

I have a few other applications out there, but no calls. One of the district's positions is still internal, so there is hope there. Also, in this state, teachers have until July 30 to opt out of their contracts, so there is a chance something might happen in August. I did get my first job in August so I keep trying to remember that.

I have great references, 8 years of exp., some unique work experience outside of education, etc., and my phone is not exactly ringing off the hook.

It is pretty bad around here...there are basically no elem. positions right now, unless I wanted to commute to a very bad urban area, which I am not. But still, I've never in my life, EVER had trouble landing a job of any kind. It's pretty hard on my ego.

I'm starting to wonder if being a SAHM for the past 8 years is a stigma of some sort. I have kept busy in my community, I volunteer, I sub, I am on all sorts of committees. And all of this is on my resume and in my cover letter.

It's hard not to start feeling really bad about myself. :(

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2011

If someone internal is taking the position, this usually opens up another position that can then be hired for. If teachers have until the end of July to opt out, I wouldn't be too worried yet. I'd continue to look for openings and keep pampering the districts with your resume and other information. But I definitely wouldn't give up hope!

4. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jun 29, 2011

Please don't give up hope! I've been in your shoes. I went through 12 interviews and 12 rejections before I landed a teaching job. I was so discouraged. But now, having been at the job of my dreams for 5 years, that time looks like a tiny blip in the grand scheme of things.

I'm glad my district opens the jobs internally only before posting them to the public. If no one takes it internally, only then will they post it outside the district. That keeps you from feeling mislead about an opening.

Keep the chin up and keep trying! It WILL be worth it someday!

5. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 29, 2011

Thanks, guys. Actually, right after I posted this, I got an email from the principal who I interviewed with in May. I didn't get that job, but he was emailing me to tell me about a job in another district, that he had talked to the principal there, and encouraged me to give her a call! How nice is that?

And then I got a phone call from a friend who teaches in another town. She called to tell me that she heard her district is going to have an opening soon and to get my materials in asap.

So at least some options are opening up. And they are both really nice districts. :) I will try to keep the faith!

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 29, 2011

You would think that would be the case. But somehow, no new positions are opening up that I am qualified for. They must be moving Sped. people or long-term subs. I am not Sp.Ed. certified. And there are certainly tons of those positions available. I do know for a fact that a long-term sub was hired in one of the districts that I applied for, and that there were NO outside interviews granted. So that's just the way it's working sometimes around here.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2011

I'm glad that you just heard some good news. It seems that when we are most down is when the good news starts to pour in! Good luck with getting all your materials in and earning those interviews.

8. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 29, 2011

That old trite saying comes to mind "When one door closes, another one opens." It was very nice of that P to think of you. Most definitely give them a call.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 30, 2011

It's understandable to feel frustrated & wonder if you'll ever get something, but all you can do is keep chugging along. I've always lived by the statement if something's meant for me, it will be, if not it won't & I just keep moving on.

Good luck!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2011

Stop and re-read your post.

There are no jobs. Positions are being filled internally. That means that, as far as you're concerned, there are no jobs.

It's not about being a SAHM or a stigma, it's about the market.

So try your darndest, and keep trying. But also try very hard to remember: this is NOT about you. It's about the economy and the job market, neither of which you can control.

11. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Jun 30, 2011

I know about feeling down, not finding a job, frustration and feelings of worthlessness.
    I feel like such an idiot. I left a career as a paralegal to go to school to get my Master's in Elem. Ed. Here I am 40k in debt and I cant find a job anywhere. (I do have 4 years of teaching experience)
    Aliceacc is right, it's all about the economy. It's all about the fact that education funding gets cut when that should be the LAST area of budget cuts. I guess all I can say is, "It is what it is." I will probably end up subbing.
    Pity party is officially over. :)
    I guess I

12. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 30, 2011

I hear ya!!! I feel the same way. I have applied for 35+ positions now in the past month and.....NOTHING. = (

13. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 1, 2011

I'm in the same situation rainbow. No real jobs all have been internally hired. My degree's and experience count for nothing right now. It turns out it was a bad time to become a SAHM.

14. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 1, 2011

:hugs:

Something will turn up sooner or later....I don't regret staying home with my kids, not for one second, but boy, it sure is harder getting back in than I ever thought it would be! You're right, timing is surely part of that. We've got to remember that. :)