I am done...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mrachelle87, Dec 31, 2013.

1. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 31, 2013

I try to be nice to others. I might come off as hateful, but that is never my intentions. I have try to avoid posts that I know will cause conflict. But now I am done. It is time for me to leave this forum.

3. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Dec 31, 2013

As I said in the other thread, I didn't mean to insinuate that you were trying to be snarky. But, I can see where it might have come across that way. Emotions are hard to read on the internet sometimes.

Don't leave! :(

4. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Dec 31, 2013

I am not sure what happened, but I will miss your posts.(I also try to avoid some posts/posters for the reasons you allude to.) However, there are so many helpful people on here that I don't want the 3 or 4 "perfect" teachers to ruin it for me! I think honesty is fine, especially when done in a tactful, diplomatic manner. We should be able to agree to disagree!!

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 31, 2013

In my opinion there is no reason to leave over 1 post, but reading that other post I can see why some people might be put off. Yes, you were offering a suggestion, and a good one, but how you said it could have confused someone. Telling some one to get their home life in order implies that you think their home life is NOT in order, which can put people on the defensive. I know I would have that reaction.

We have to think how we express ourselves in written form, sarcasm doesn't always come across, funny might sound mean, and being short can cause different interpretations.

But don't leave!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2013

Please don't leave--I'll miss you.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2013

Take a break if you feel you must, but don't forget how many times you have offered valuable support to others of us on the forum.

Please don't feel that you are one of the snarky ones...those people don't last long here.

8. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 31, 2013

Don't leave. I'be always valued your advice and support. :)

9. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Jan 1, 2014

The poster asking for advice misinterpreted your post, and instead of moving on or responding respectfully, overreacted to it with her sarcastic reply. The only snark came from her. She asked for advice and you gave it. She's just one person, though. Consider all of the people who "had your back" after her reply to your post, and all of the people who have responded on this thread. A lot of people are going to miss you!

10. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Jan 1, 2014

Read it, laugh it off, and move on. It's an Internet forum.

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 2, 2014

I appreciate all the positive comments and emails. But for the last few months I find myself guarded on here because of a few posters that I feel attack every chance they get. That is not something I want to be a part of. I come here for support and to support others. I think it is time for me to step back.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2014

Personally, I look at the nasty, snarky posters in the same light as a school yard bully. The bully gets his excitement from the reaction of his victim. If he gets no reaction, he goes elsewhere. Same thing with the vitriolic posters here.

13. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jan 2, 2014

I had a similar situation some time ago in here. It was a matter of being called overly sensitive or something like that. Patronizing tone and all. I didn't come in here for some time after that. It was just unnecessary and not appropriate from a virtual stranger. That's what I was dealing with. I always say you don't know what happened to someone five minutes ago to cause them to act or speak that way. Now I extend it to "write that way."
    The benefits from this site outweighed the minor details so to speak. You have my empathy and wish that you stay in here. It's a matter of character and quality.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 2, 2014

I hope you decide to stay :hugs:

There will always be someone who is "offended" or takes things the wrong way. Yes, I have "offended" someone (I put it in quotes because umm...I do this :rolleyes: when I think of how silly it all was). I agree with the others who said at the end of the day do what's best for you but I know that a majority of us here value your opinion and would love for you to stick around.