I am burned out!

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by iteach3, Mar 9, 2013.

1. iteach3

iteach3 New Member

Mar 9, 2013

I have taught for 29 years - everything from preK to 8th. My husband was in the military and we moved a lot in our early years. I am 55 years old but cannot retire in my current state of Ohio I only have 16 years. In the year 2015 I will have 18 years in Ohio and that is the year the law changes from allowing you to retire at 25 years to retiring at 30 years or age 65. They will only allow you to buy back 5 years (at about $10K a year) and even if I did buy back 5 years I would still be 2 years short of having the 25. So that means I have to teach until I am 65 (another 10 years).
    I am already beginning to feel really burned out - between the new Common Core, Race to the Top, the new Ohio teaching evaluation with linkage, 28 kids in a 3rd grade classroom, budget cuts taking IS's and cutting extra curricular activities like art, gym and music, no planning time, Teacher Based Teams, no support from the principal because he is trying to do the job of two people and he's not very supportive anyway. .. Need I go on?

I would like to do something that would still be part of the state retirement system either education or government but have no idea what else I could do. I don't make a lot as a teacher but it is more than most because of my experience. I would love to be able to give my job to a younger person that still loves this job but I have two kids in college and need to still work.
    Does anyone have any ideas? If not please pray for me. I feel I am no longer being an effective teacher and I pray that God has something else in mind for me. I have nightmares about school.

3. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Mar 10, 2013

Praying for your strength to be renewed and guidance. Be blessed.

4. iteach3

iteach3 New Member

Mar 10, 2013

Thank you - just spent 10 hours at school getting ready for the week. :unsure:

5. bbsinfo

bbsinfo New Member

Mar 14, 2013

I am sorry to hear that you are not happy about your job. My husband was not happy neither. Each day, it was a battle. No one listens to him, they talk, eat, text, eat in his Math class. Now he got very bad reviews from his boss, although he got tenure, he is very worried that oneday he will get fired.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2013

Make your kids get scholarships and grants and loans. They're old enough to pay for their own education.

Good luck.

7. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

Mar 21, 2013

You sound so tired, iteach3! Big hugs!
    I hope your spirit is renewed soon! I am just starting out and feel so excited and positive about my future impact in the community; I wish I could give you some of my enthusiasm! hugs!