I am blocked district wide

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Julie27, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ZebraStripes

ZebraStripes Rookie

Mar 9, 2014

I subbed for a couple months before I got my gig. I hate to use the term "unfair" but I feel like it's unfair to fire or block a sub for a couple of bad reviews, especially if they have hundreds of great ones. There are some teachers in my building that wouldn't be happy even if you followed their directions to a t. Subbing is much harder than some realize.

2. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Mar 9, 2014

In my main district, it is three strikes and you are out, and I have two strikes.

The first I feel is completely bogus, and the 2nd is questionable.

It took me over 14 years to get my first strike.

We have no union or contracts, so firing us is low risk, and is the easiest way to deal with controversy.

3. Julie27

Julie27 Rookie

Mar 10, 2014

What is CTA?

4. Greetwlove

Greetwlove Rookie

Mar 10, 2014

So silly to scrutinize substitutes so closely for minor "infractions". Feels like a power trip move to me. Every teacher should be required to "sub" in other people's classes: not knowing the students, the routines, etc. Me personally, can't wait to get OUT of subbing.

5. aba183

aba183 New Member

Mar 12, 2014

Good evening.

I have subbed for 17 years, and this has been the closest thing to being in a police state. I am not exggerating.

It reaches the point that you become completely numb and hardened. You learn to fear everyone, to suspect all, to question all motives, to always be on guard, to regard everyone as an informant and as the enemy, to always be silent at a teacher's lounge and never offer your opinions on any subject (or to avoid the lounge like the plague and eat your meals alone in the classroom or go lunch at a restaurant off campus), to say the absolute minimum in class lest something you say gets taken out of context, to never look at women in the eye or face or compliment them on anything lest you get written up for harassment. You learn that nobody is your friend and that you are basically on your own, and that if you are naive enough to believe that the admins will help you if you have any trouble, you can most likely expect to be written up or banned for not controlling a class full of students who have issues that are way beyond your control. You learn that once you are inside a school site, the concept of"constitutional rights" and "bill of rights" is a funny and alien notion that does not apply at all inside a site. You learn to keep a straight face when you read posters about the "six pillars of character," realizing full well that they don't apply to you as far as sub treatment isconcerned.

I am still on high guard. I don't trust anyone there, and I say the absolute minimum in class and anywhere else at the site. If I have to be at a teacher's lounge, I eat by myself and don't do the mistake of starting conversations with other full time teachers; in addition, I eat as quickly as I can (less than 3 minutes) and leave the lounge immediately. If they greet me, I answer POW style-just the basics and that's it, in a civil and polite way.

Among many other things, freedom of speech as margin for error don't exist. It is best to say the bare minimum to anyone. The best answer to many questions directed at you from students and staff has only 3 words: "I don't know." Memorize them if you want to survive the totalitarian regime that a school site can be. Where is our teacher? I don't know. When is she coming back? I don't know. What do you think about (insert any topic or current event that has controversial potential)? I don't know. Do you think our team is good? I don't know. You get the idea? Never, ever, ever joke with the students about anything. And always assume that anything you say and do will be reported. Handle children and staff as if they were radioactive and extremely hazardous-in other words, with extreme care.

All the elements of a military dictatorship environment are there, including being accused of virtually anything without the accused being given the chance to mount a defense before the punishment is decided. The school, like any police state, is full of informants who can and will report you for the flimsiest of offenses and you will never know who accused you. And if you do, your word is worth nothing in the eyes of the regular teacher, admins, and especially district officials, who see us the way a military tyrant sees the populace: totally expendable if needed, to further the power of those already in power.

Like a place like North Korea, the former USSR, or similar,vast amounts of propaganda are the norm. You know, those speeches by the admins about respect, tolerance, acceptance, friendship, and so on. You see those wall to wall posters about the six pillars of character and antibullyng. Happy music is played at assemblies. But you as a sub full know well that that image does not apply much in reality. We know how subs are really treated-nothing like the propaganda machine states regarding respect. The regular teachers and the admins are the first ones to engage in mental games, psychological bullying, and deceit toward those who are weaker-and this includes their own colleagues and students. And just like in an autocratic state, the ones in power arethe ones who act contrary to what they order the masses not to do-under threat of punishment. Writing to an HR manager is a big exercise in futility. When they want to ban or firea sub, they do it in a couple of attoseconds. It's like
    talking to a rock.

6. Julie27

Julie27 Rookie

Mar 13, 2014

aba183, whatever you say is true. I figured a while ago I should avoid the teacher's lounge, and I should limit interactions to minimum. The job is sucks so as the pay. I just do it because of the schedule, I have a child. Once my child turns 12, I am going to stop subbing FOREVER.

7. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Mar 13, 2014

Read my new post in the general education section where I solicit opinions about a "bad" day I had that got reported to the highest level.

8. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Mar 13, 2014

California Teachers Association

9. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Mar 13, 2014

i haven't read all the responses but my suggestion is to get some classes on classroom management. the other things I would explain away but asking for the district to pay to send you to a class so you could do your job would tell me as administrator/hiring person that they made a mistake in hiring your in the first place.

You have to have the presence to keep students respect and the wisdom to know the system in place to help you when students misbehavior.

did you follow the chain of command when you reported the incident? did you ask advice from a fellow teacher? did you leave a note so the teacher you subsitute for know what was happening and let THEM report the student.

it is the regular teacher's job to do that. if you sidestep that and go directly to adminstration, they will get upset because the regular teacher has to contact parents and try to work it out with parents before admin gets involved.

Our school district won't hire any new subs without teaching ceritification any more, so it may not be the things you listed at all but your lack of certification which is why you were released.

10. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Mar 13, 2014

wow ABA183.... i totally disagree with your post.

I've subbed for the last 3 years and I tend to talk to everyone and listen more. i try to insert positive things I see and focus on that if possible or remain silent.

I don't think you should criticize anyone because you don't know the full story.

I don't know I find it better to think the best of people and if I have a problem, I ask for help and most of the administrators help by removing the troubled student...........I guess i've been blessed with never having principals who didn't support me as a teacher, even if I was "just a sub"

I've found students respect you more if you DO know and can answer their questions intelligently. though you should never be afraid to admit you don't know, showing the students how they can research and learn is a good thing any teacher (regular or sub) shoudl be teaching students to do:

how to teach themselves the needed material with or without a teacher present.

11. Green54

Green54 New Member

Jul 5, 2015

Hello Rookie,
    I have had similar and worse experiences as yours. Are you willing to share what recourses and strategies you have taken to find out why you are being blocked from substitute teaching employment and if you have any legal rights that have been violated as a result from being blocked for gainful employment? I would like to know because perhaps we can research what are options are and proceed from there, reach me at canoe20091@gmail.com. Green54

12. Green54

Green54 New Member

Jul 5, 2015

I had posted my email but it was removed.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 5, 2015

It isn't considered a really good idea to post your personal contact information here, so you're best off reaching out using the private message option.

14. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 6, 2015

My district keeps a file on subs. If a sub does not work for so many weeks they are released and must reapply. I had to go on leave for several months while student teaching. I had to submit a letter stating why I needed the leave and when I would return to work.

The distict does not give subs training but the handbook does state something about the schools/teachers can fill out both positive and negative reports on subs that become part of the employee file. Three negatives you are released.

Most schools knew nothing about those two things.

15. artiste7

artiste7 Rookie

Jul 20, 2015

sounds messy...
    i only say hello and keep it moving.
    i do write up what needs to be written up and never had a problem. but some schools don't want to be accountable to follow up documentation, so they make the person who reports the problem, the problem instead of doing their jobs.
    hope you find a job somewhere else.

16. Green54

Green54 New Member

Aug 6, 2015

You are very wise

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2015

Green...the OP hasn't been active on the forums fr over a year. You might get better response for your survey by starting a new thread.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 2, 2015

Green54, your many duplicate posts have been pruned, for several reasons:

1. They're duplicates: at least two full recitations of your survey and at least 11 largely identical invitations to participate in your survey on SurveyMonkey (twice to the same A to Z member, yet). See the forum rules on duplicates at http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=6018.

2. They violate A to Z forum rules against members launching surveys until they've reached 30 days membership and 50 posts. See http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=59635.

3. After having been advised by another member that A to Z forum policies discourage the posting of personally identifiable information, you went ahead and did so anyway, twice.

Go read the rules, please. If you think they shouldn't apply in your case, you're welcome to contact the site owner by using the Contact Us link at the bottom of this page; it's possible that she'll agree with you.