I am blocked district wide

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Julie27, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Julie27

Julie27 Rookie

Feb 11, 2014

Well... after being a sub for few years I've got an e-mail from the district HR manager that she would like to contact me, but meanwhile I am blocked district wide.
    I know it could be anything from not taking all the calls (I sub every day almost, just not always put unavailable time) to having discipline issues with students (rarely, but it happens), or leaving "honest" notes to teachers if the students do not work well (talk)...

I had reported a bully recently, and I had reported student talking bad things about the teacher. The teachers might not have liked that it had happened while they were out: the sub was guilty.

Now, I am just waiting until tomorrow to call the HR. Do you think I have a chance to remain sub? Has anyone been banned ever?

Thank you.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 11, 2014

Hoping for the best for you. Keep us in the loop. In the meantime, do you have other districts on your subbing rotation?

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 11, 2014

Don't fear the worst just yet. It could be just something simple like a problem with your paperwork. My district just needed to redo thousands of I-9's that they discovered had not made the move with HR, when HR moved a few years ago.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2014

How do you know that you have been blocked?

6. Julie27

Julie27 Rookie

Feb 11, 2014

The HR manager had e-mailed me notifying that she could not get a hold of me over the phone, and that she needs to talk to me. "Meanwhile", she mentioned,"you are blocked district wide".

Since I had been having issues with the same class in the particular school, my guess is that I have negative reviews from the teacher. And then another class, the bully.l. It just had been rolled up in a bundle lately.

7. Julie27

Julie27 Rookie

Feb 11, 2014

No, my district is so big that it could take over an hour in traffic to get to another district.

8. skyline

skyline Companion

Feb 12, 2014

I can imagine the worry. But, I'd do like grd3teacher suggested and not fear the worst until you find out why. I know easier said than done. Sometimes being a sub is a lot of stress. Wishing you the best!!!

9. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Feb 12, 2014

I got blacklisted from my home district after applying for unemployment - and getting it! They fought my claim -- and lost. I wasn't bothered. I hardly got any calls from them anyway.

70 percent of substitutes would be blocked if discipline issues were the concern. Kids are going to act up, to see what they can get away with because some wrongly see you as a babysitter and not a teacher.
    It's probably a certification issue.

10. Julie27

Julie27 Rookie

Feb 12, 2014

Today, I found what it was. Here:

In the past 2 weeks I reported two cases:
    1) bullying (happened in my class during passing period while I was on duty watching the hallway). The teachers are required to watch the hallway between the periods while the students are in the classrom (odd?) So, I turn around and see that... and so on... I reported. Honestly, I thought I had to report it. However, if I did not, no one would have ever find out. I just felt sorry for the bullied student, so I reported.
    2) student insalting the regular teacher in the front of the entire class (he made rude comment), so I reported him. He complained to his parents and said I have no proof that he said that.
    3) the same student (the rude) lied about me that I called him bad name. Then, he told another teacher that I allowed him to use his headphones (while It was the opposite). The parents, I guess, raised an issue about "bad" substitute.
    4) one day I asked the VP if they have any class management training available for teachers, which I could also attend, because I would like to improve my skills.

Here is the school complaint about me:

1) I had a bullying case in my class, so I am not capable of class management
    2) I had a student exiting my room with the headphones on
    3) I had called student a bad name.
    4) I, myself, have admitted that I am not capable of managing classes and I, myself, therefore asked to get additional training.

So, I am banned by the school after subbing for them for over than a year without making any discipline referrals. Some teachers even liked me!I honestly tried hard to do my best, never just set and watched.

Wow, I learned something:

1) Do not talk to VPs, teachers or other stuff other than saying "hello" and "good buy". They are not friends, even if they smile.
    2) Do not report anything to the office. I've got some "button pushers" and disrupters throughout the years, but until raised the issue up to the office, I did not have any trouble.
    3) Come and leave. Just come and leave. I do not belong to the school, I just make my little money with no medical and leave. No student problems should bother me.

Now I am just wondering: should I fight to get the complaints removed from my file?

11. El sol

El sol Rookie

Feb 13, 2014

It seems like you were just the scapegoat in a difficult situation for the administration to bother with. It truly sucks.

As subs, you really have to protect yourself if you're making accusations against students. It's how it works.

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 13, 2014

Yes. That is ridiculous. And the lessons you learned are not the lessons you should keep. Just because one school is treating you like dirt doesn't mean that will always be the case. I would appreciate a sub being brutally honest about my class to me. I hate it when they sugarcoat it or leave out important details because it makes me look like the fool when I tell the class I got a good report for them the next day. I'd rather have the truth so I can hold them accountable.

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 13, 2014

I would fight to clear my name. You probably won't be able to work for this district - and why would you want to? - but these accusations and decisions are ridiculous.
    You're supposed to look out for the students' best interest. If someone is being bullied, are you supposed to let it happen? Then they go home and hurt themselves? This is just ridiculous.

Fight for it.

14. Julie27

Julie27 Rookie

Feb 13, 2014

Eventually, it was just that one school that had me banned. I can not work just for that particular school. I thought I am being completely fired, but the HR manager said,"Nooooooooo!"

I figured that because of my reports the admin had to deal with the parents, and they try to avoid it. I was a troublemaker.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 13, 2014

You may have been done a favor here, actually, Julie27, though I realize it may not feel like it at the moment.

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 13, 2014

Hooray for that HR person making sure you are welcome elsewhere! I've avoided schools like the plague after being treated the way you were. You'll be much happier now.

17. Julie27

Julie27 Rookie

Feb 13, 2014

I feel grateful to the HR for being easy on me. It could have been much worse.
    After all, I think as a sub I do have to protect myself. Also, thinking of today's parents... I can see it from the admin side - it is too much trouble to prove that their child is lying. Imagine: questioning the entire class, argueing. It is easier to just remove the sub and send a happy letter to the parents.
    Teachers and subs should be very much political and carefull with each and every word. I learned my lesson. Go change the world....

18. Julie27

Julie27 Rookie

Feb 13, 2014

In fact, I figured that a note to the teacher should be enough. On one hand I let the teacher know what had happened, on the other hand I give them a choice not to go forward with the case. They can discard the paper after all.
    If a student does not listen, if they use phone, if they chat - get the names and leave a note. Mention what you have done to correct the issue in a formal manner. That's it, no referrals. Make a copy of the note for yourself. Let the teacher do the hard part. After all, they are familiar with students and their families.
    Or, if it is something extreme like that student offensing the teacher - stop the class and call the office immediately. Then, let the student repeat what he said. Don't do it for him.

19. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Feb 14, 2014

Keep quiet. You've learned your lesson. Unfortunately, this is also the case for a lot of permanent teachers.

20. Julie27

Julie27 Rookie

Feb 14, 2014

Wow.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 14, 2014

It sounds like the principal has no management skills if he can't stand up for what's right (he was pretty much saying the bullying was YOUR fault. Pathetic). I would be happy to never step foot into that school again although I would be upset about their crappy attitude towards me. Just move on and do your best in other schools where they will appreciate you.

22. Julie27

Julie27 Rookie

Feb 14, 2014

Actually, I talked to the regular teacher after the incedent (the bully's teacher), and she said she had reported the student for rough behavior earlier, but nothing happened. She said that she hopes this time the student would face consequences. However, not the student but me had faced them for reporting.
    I am wondering if the school wants to get an examplary status by ignoring or camouflaging issues.
    The principal is new this year.

23. Julie27

Julie27 Rookie

Feb 14, 2014

incIdent. Later, I also found out that the "bully" kid has ADHD. If I only new, I would have watched him closer! I did not have a co-teacher, and the class was 27 students. And, I had to do hallway duty (monitor hallway during passing period while all the kids are in classroom waiting). That is when it happened.

24. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 17, 2014

If this is your career of choice, you also need to be honest with yourself in addressing what part of the overall complaint that you are responsible for. You might be undestandably hesitant to talk about that sort of stuff here, but you should ask yourself REALLY what may be at the root of these issues. e.g. Is it my personality?

Because there are two sides to every story. You telling us all the things that you did correctly... I'm sure whoever ulitimately made the decision to ban you, has an equally compelling reason for doing so.

25. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 17, 2014

It sounds like you might have dodged a bullet with this campus. From what you've described, I would not want to work in a school that would be upset about a sub doing what you've done. It seems as though the principal might be one of those "sweep everything under the rug" types who blames teachers for everything.

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2014

It seems a quarter of the student population has been diagnosed with ADHD. This isn't necessarily some major flag as far as behavior. Still, I do believe all teachers should always leave a note for subs regarding students they feel may make poor choices.

27. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 17, 2014

No matter how flat you make a pancake, it's got 2 sides.

28. microbe

microbe Comrade

Feb 18, 2014

I was banned from a school too because it was the easiest thing for the administration to do. As the sub, I wasn't informed that one student in one of the classes I subbed had severe emotional problems. Later he had a major outburst in which he flipped some furniture, screamed and ran out of the class yelling and crying. Had I known about this particular student, I would have been able to avoid that situation (he didn't like being told "no"), but I guess it wasn't important information for the sub to know?

I eventually was unbanned from this school but I never returned. There is a pretty bad sub shortage in my home district and no school can afford to ban subs for petty reasons.

29. Greetwlove

Greetwlove Rookie

Feb 21, 2014

Move on to a different district. If I am at a school where I even sense that I will not be backed up or am blatantly disrespected I will use the preferences tab on line and take that school off of my list. You might try a Christian Private School. The sub pay might be a little less, but if you are happier you might sub more and be treated better. (usually far less discipline problems):hugs:

30. Julie27

Julie27 Rookie

Feb 23, 2014

Of course! However, considering my prior everyday Positive experience with this school, my personality plays little role in the situation. All the complaints from the school had involved the same "well-known" student. In my subs' handbook it says, "...sometimes even the most effective classroom strategies will fail and individuals or groups of students may need to modify their behavior in the order to resume effective teaching". So, teachers are powerful but not almighty. there are also parents who will believe that their child just can not be so bad as teacher says. I had bumped into that kind of student "protected" by parents. When this student got in trouble for offensing his teacher in the front of entire class, he got protective, he lied. Parents came to the principal and complained about bad sub. Who knows what they were saying.... It is easier for admin to get rid of a sub than to deal with the "protective" parents in denial.
    All the other complaints were attached to make the case heavier. Really, why would they blame me in asking them for professional development sessions or for the bully?

31. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Feb 23, 2014

I am in a similar situation. I have had my substitute status discontinued with one district and I was trying to get into a internship with LAUSD and the district that discontinued me had filled out a confidential form ( that LAUSD requested me to give them, as I worked for them as a teacher for 6 years and subbed for 10 years). Something on the form said something and LAUSD has put me on Inactive sub status. No one has given me any reason. I went to look at my personnel file with the district to see what was said on the form. Of course it was taken out of my file when I went to look at it. Now I have written a letter to request for me to see the document and all factual information they used to prepare this document. I may have to get an attorney, just to be able to continue my teaching. I have never done anything wrong, except these teachers that wrote me up as unsatisfactory seems to be a personal judgement.

32. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Mar 6, 2014

I have been subbing for 16 years, yet it wasn't until this afternoon that I realized it was likely a mistake.
    In my primary district, if you get three complaints about you, you are fired.
    I now have two strikes, both of which I feel are bogus.
    I am lucky because the 2nd strike is actually two complaints from two classrooms from the same school, but it counts as only one.

I got no complaints for almost 15 years, and now I get three in two years, and two at once from the same school.
    With these complaints in my file, I have no chance at ever getting a contract.

33. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Mar 7, 2014

I feel you pain very much. As I have stated above. I went to look at my personnel file and there were some documents missing. I applied at another district for an internship and the district wrote something about me and I have no idea what they said, but that district put me on inactive now. I requested to see the form and evidence, I was told that it is confidential and it is not shared. Now I need legal advice.:help:

34. Greetwlove

Greetwlove Rookie

Mar 7, 2014

Seems to me that subbing can actually cause more hurt to one's teaching resume in the quest to get a "real" teaching job. This seems to be a "Myth" that subbing can get one in the door to teaching. hmmm.

35. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Mar 7, 2014

I didn't know they kept files on substitute teachers. Is it all subs or just the regulars? Some only work two or three times in a school year. Strange.

36. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Mar 7, 2014

In my case, the complaints were shared.

I agree that you should consider legal action. You are entitled to know with your livelihood at stake.

37. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Mar 7, 2014

You could be right.

I have worked for over 2.000 teachers, so despite my best efforts, there is no way to make everyone happy.

Based on the law of averages, it is not surprising that three teachers wrote me up, although if this was a court of law, all but one, in my opinion, is bogus.

38. Julie27

Julie27 Rookie

Mar 8, 2014

Yes, our district has files. All the subs' performance evaluation forms, that come from teachers, get stored in those files.
    Every sub gets an evaluation form template, which they can leave to a teacher after they are done for the day, if they want. The teacher then fills it out and sends back to the district office. The evaluation gets stored in the sub's file.
    This is why I started leaving an evaluation form to every new teacher I sub for, where I think the class was good enough to get positive feedback. The teachers are required to fill them out and send to the district office. This way I will have at least few positive reviews in my file in case some other teacher complains.
    Let see, if I collect 50 positive reviews and then I get 1 negative review... at least I have something to fight with :)

39. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2014

Make sure you document maybe a notebook or something of situations and write it down right away....

40. More2Learn

More2Learn New Member

Mar 9, 2014

This discouraging to hear.

I would suggest apologizing for anything you may have been able to handle better, and clarifying their position so that some kind of resolve can be found. As it stands, the reasoning that you've explained is not clear and suggests there may be more to it than you understand.

Best of luck! I respect anybody who can handle the challenging job of being a sub for as long as you have. Hopefully you can turn this into a positive learning experience and get your eligibility back.

41. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Mar 9, 2014

Thanks! I have now contacted my CTA office where I live and they will advise me what my next steps are. I will keep all of you updated