I am a very lucky new teacher..

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by newbeeteacher, Oct 6, 2010.

1. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Oct 6, 2010

I think I have stumbled upon the formula to make a 'good' new teacher..

First add a wonderful school with great administration that is very supportive of their teachers. Then add a very helpful team and a large serving of the most AWESOME mentor teacher in the world. And a pinch of organization and long hours... and bake for about 187 days. :)

Seriously, I just feel like the luckiest teacher in the world! The Chemistry team in my school plan together, and we all work very well together. My mentor teacher heads the team and she is the most helpful person I know! Plus, I have conference first period of the day so I get to observe her before I teach the material to my class.

I do work crazy hours.. I spend about 11 hours at school everyday and when I get home, I have more grading and organizing paperwork. Oh, and it doesn't hurt that my administration understands how hard it is for a new teacher, so I only have 1 prep.

I am so glad I got this job at this particular school because I am truly happy and enjoying this job. But maybe I am celebrating too early (6 weeks in?) and I am setting myself up for a fall?? Hmmm...

But for right now, I enjoy my kids and my work.. It's been the most fulfilling 6 weeks of my working life... :wow:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2010

That's so wonderful to hear!!!!

4. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Oct 6, 2010

Thanks, I truly am blessed. :) and jumping for joy. However, I don't want this post to seem gloat-y or anything. I just wanted to share my happiness and most of my friends aren't teachers so they don't understand how I feel.

My thoughts go out to other new teachers out there who are having a difficult time... :(

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2010

Congratulations. I am glad your first year is off to a great start...

6. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Oct 6, 2010

It definitely helps to have a supportive team and a great mentor teacher to smooth out the rough spots!! Glad you are having a successful year so far :) - enjoy!

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2010

That's great!

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 8, 2010

That's how it was my first semester teaching (I came in second semester). Exactly the same! It made things so much easier going in.

9. comp

comp Rookie

Oct 8, 2010

wow! when i hear this type of positive experiences, i really want to get in to teaching.:thumb:

10. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Oct 8, 2010

That is wonderful news. I feel the same way about my school. From the very first night of meeting students and parents, I have had lots of support. I have a great group of students and the parents are great. I don't think I'll have to worry much about parent volunteers for anything.
    The hours are long but I won't complain. I LOVE my school and my job.