I AM a Kindergarten teacher!!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Junebug, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

My whole being is kindergarten. I have taught K for 13 years and only taught first and a low level second grade for one year each. I think like a K teacher.. but I emailed my P (this will/would be my second year at this school) asking about kindergarten testing about 2 weeks ago and yesterday after 3:00 she emailed that she was considering putting me in 3rd and I would not be testing anyone. School starts in less than 2 weeks and I am freaking out! I have planned but now I don't know what to do. I know 3rd is Okay but at this school the 3rd graders are bigger than me! Panic attack in progress :eek:

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 6, 2010

Ahh hang in there. I honestly felt the same way as you but opposite. I was always a 5th grade teacher. I loved it and there was a small part of my career I did 3rd grade. But I loved 5th. The kids were smart and funny and you could joke around but still read amazing books. We moved to Connecticut and I got a job and she told me it would be kindergarten. I literally broke out in a sweat...thinking I would faint. I went home and cried, told my husband I couldn't deal with tying shoes and wiping noses... I drafted a letter that I didn't think I could take the job...

Now, in my 5th year of teaching kindergarten... I see that God puts us on a path that he knows will work. I am LOVE kindergarten and I love that I got the nerve to do it.

Hang in there... you never know it might be just the perfect fit! And if not... we call all survive things for a year right! Hugs to you!

4. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

Thanks for the good words mrsammieb. I know God has a plan for me but this is so not my plan. I seriously think the P does not want me to come back and this is a tactic she is trying. I knew one 3rd grade teacher there last year and she could not wait for the last day of school. She decided that she did not want to teach after all. :(
    I am saying my prayers and asking for another "door" to open:rolleyes:

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 6, 2010

You never know you might be going there for a reason. Maybe there is one kid in your new 3rd grade class that needs you for this year. Good luck third grade can be fun. There are so many different things you can do with the kids.

6. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

Every grade has good things about it and you will find that true about your new group too. It really stinks you couldn't have been told about this earlier though. I do things throughout the summer to prepare for the coming year and would also be freaking out! Good luck!

7. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 8, 2010

I will pray for you, I hope that everything works out for the best. Good Luck!

8. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 8, 2010

Wow, for a minute there I thought I had a message from Mother Theresa before I looked up at who sent it teachersmk! Thank you for your prayers. I am trying to think positive because maybe she was in a bad mood and she did say "considering". It bothers me that someone would abuse their power like that but everyone there said that's just the way she is. I am surely looking for an opening somewhere else, it is hard to work with NO security or peace. :(:(

9. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 8, 2010

Oh, I can definitely identify with the uneasiness of uncertainty...Is your P the only person with the power to move you around? I teach at a private school and the school board has to approve stuff like that, but I assume it is different with public schools. :dunno: Again, I hope everything works out. And, I hope that she re-considers her decision. I will keep praying...and, no, I am no Mother Theresa...I just LOVE that quote! :lol:

10. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 8, 2010

Last year this P hired a teacher for second grade, then she put her in K (after school had started) after a few weeks decided to move her back to 2nd! She was new and didn't have much stuff, but man her head was spinning! The kids in both classes were confused.

11. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2010

Wow! I'm kind of in the same boat. The numbers are low so far in K and school starts tomorrow. I'm the last one hired in the grade level in this school and I'm hearing rumors I may move to 1st or 3rd or 5th if numbers don't go higher! I've worked SO hard on my room (this will be 4th year teaching K) and HOPE I can stay. I LOVE Kindergarten. But, if anything happens, I will try and find the good in whatever grade I teach. But, it is hard not knowing! I have to figure that I will cross that bridge when I come to it. :)

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2010

Well, maybe this will end up being a good thing in disguise. Either way, good luck!

13. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

Well I finally got to see my P. today (my dad has been in and out of the hospital) and ask about her reply to my email. She was upset that I asked her about testing and not the coordinator. Who knew?
    She said she wasn't sure whether I would be in 3rd or 4th or maybe stay in K, she was going to make up her mind today.
    I must say that last year was very trying. New to a minority school, no directions or help, :( I am struggling to cope.
    Sorry for whinning, I just don't know what else to do.
    Jobs are so hard to find.

14. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 11, 2010

I will continue to pray! You are not whining...We are here to listen. I hope all works out. :hugs:

15. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

Well in my heart I am still a K teacher but at school I will be a second grade teacher!
    God is Good, at least I have a job and it is not 4th!

16. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 16, 2010

Well, Praise the Lord that you at least have a job...maybe you will love 2nd so much that you will start believeing that is what you are meant for! :0)