I also had a terrible first day, help!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by darlibby, Aug 24, 2009.

1. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Aug 24, 2009

I just needed some advice. I have a class of 22 kindergarteners with one assistant. They are too young to be in kindergarten at a public school, so they are in private kinder. This school is also a day care and the majority of my kids are not new to the school and have been there several years and go year round.

Today was my first day and the kids were completely out of control. Some have the worst behavior problems I could have ever imagined. Their prior teacher warned me, but I thought I would be fine. My assistant is a vet and she was helpful. I’m just curious about what classroom management strategies you use. I gave out stickers to the good kids. I’ve asked some other people for advice today, and they just say things like, “be assertive”…

There’s one kid who will do what he’s told for 30 seconds, and he’s off doing something else immediately. He’s a distraction to the entire class, repeatedly. There are 3-4 kids in total like this. I didn’t think kindergarten would be so difficult. I couldn't get any of them to do a **** thing.

Any advice is appreciated.

3. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 24, 2009

model model model! stay patient, be thorough, and keep them very busy in short activities, they are little and young and have short attention spans. mix it up with some playtime, kids NEED that!

It will get better, really! I believe that if you also have a really positive attitude - that they CAN do things the way that you want them to, they will :)

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2009

I agree, things will get better with time! If this is the kids first experience with school, they don't even know how to stand in a line, so work SLOWLY. I think it is true that you need to keep them busy...if they see any break, they will do whatever they want! Let us know how it is going....

5. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Aug 25, 2009

Do you have a discipline/classroom management strategy worked out for the classroom? If not, a simple, but very effective technique is 1-2-3 Magic. I use it and it works great--easy to learn and simple to implement. Find more here: http://www.parentmagicstore.com/All-Products/Teachers/1-2-3-Magic-for-Teachers-Book-New and http://www.amazon.com/1-2-3-Magic-T...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251244241&sr=8-4.

Whatever you choose to do BE CONSISTENT and calm. If the kids pick up that you're getting annoyed or upset and they figure out how to push your buttons, they will keep doing it!

Plan activities at the beginning of the year that are short and have transition times with games or songs to sing with lots of movement or dancing.

Good luck :)

6. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 25, 2009

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad first day. As you know I've never taught prek but I can tell you about my daughters last prek teachers. They were a team on lead, one assistant and they were awesome--very strict though. They had centers, only 2 allowed in a center at a time, the kids had little velcro name tags they could put on the center if they were playing. Whenever they were doing art projects or anything where they had to sit at a table, they used very small groups so each got individual attention. They used time out and also a class management system where their "fish" (class was called the Angel fish) would move up and down according to behavior. There was a strict schedule, from 7-9 I think it was centers, at 9:00 was circle time, snack followed, then another lesson or activity etc. I learned a lot from watching them the past year, I hope this helps you.
    Stay positive--things will get better.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2009

It's going to take a while and it's going to require patience. Yes, you will need to model and you will be a broken record. When I taught kinder, it usually took until October to get them into a routine. And by January, they were my wonderful class. By then, I am glad that I was super strict and consistent. It's very tiring though.