I almost cried yesterday...already!....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FourSquare, Sep 1, 2012.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 1, 2012

.....but for good reasons this time! :lol:

I cannot even begin to explain how night and day my new school is from my last school. I have never felt so supported in my life. The school is huge (4 principals and 100+ staff), but it still feels like a family. Anything I have asked for, I've gotten. Every time I come into my room another present shows up. Last week it was 8 pairs of headphones. This week it was new math manipulatives. I had to beg for a dry erase marker last year. I also have a mentor, an experienced and supportive team, and a rockstar case manager to help my transition to SPED. All things I could only DREAM of last year.

I wrote an apology to my AP yesterday because I had several questions after our PD. She not only answered all of them thoroughly, but said "Don't be sorry for questions! This is how we learn." I always got yelled at for asking questions last year. Or someone would make me feel stupid. :blush: The admin have been so...respectful. I think they will really help me grow, and I'm determined to do a good job for them. They just told me I got picked for the school leadership committee. :woot: I'm the only new teacher on there, but I think it will be all right.

I just shake my head whenever another teacher complains about something. They don't know how good they have it! I hope the kids are just as wonderful. :love: I am so excited for Tuesday! Best of luck for all those going into the first week. :)

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2012

That's wonderful! So happy for you.

I have cried twice this school year. But not for good reasons. And it should be noted I never, ever cried because of school prior to this year. I think I'll be okay, though...

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 1, 2012

Sounds like you're in your perfect situation. Good luck this year.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 1, 2012

That's so great. I wish I had all that kind of support when I was a brand new special ed teacher some yrs ago.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2012

I am glad you are happy! :)

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 1, 2012

How wonderful that your administration is so supportive. I'm sure it'll make your teaching even stronger. Congrats on finding a terrific match for you and, trickling down, for your students!

8. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Sep 1, 2012

Sounds like you're off to a great year!!!!

Beth

9. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 1, 2012

A supportive environment can make all the difference in the world can't it! Congrats! Have a good first week.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2012

Glad you are enjoying your new school. I'm at a new school this year as well.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 1, 2012

What a great year you will have after a beginning like this. Your positive attitude and appreciation for what you have now is so refreshing.

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 1, 2012

So happy for your new environment!

13. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 1, 2012

Thanks, everyone. :) I have decided that strong leadership matters more than anything. And for the record, I hope no-one thinks I was trying to brag. :unsure: I just wanted to update since I was really questioning my place in this profession at the end of last year. So many of you encouraged me to continue....and so far I am so glad I did!

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2012

FourSquare...it's a great feeling to be in such a supportive environment...make the most of this opportunity!:)

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2012

Bragging? Hey, you are in a great place professionally and that is something to celebrate!! :)

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2012

I'm so very glad for you!!

Thanks for the update!

17. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Sep 1, 2012

I think we've all been there! I know I was after my first year and the best thing that could've happened was the powers that be deciding to move me to the middle school. It's so great working at a school where you know that you are valued!

18. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2012

So glad that you are having a different experience! Enjoy the learning that you are allowed to do!

19. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 4, 2012

WOW.

Kids came today! They are amazing. I realize it's the first day and probably part of the "honeymoon," but I don't see any huge issues. I have one serious shouter who I'm just ignoring until he does something right. He's responding SO well to positive attention. :D They seem like a sweet and shy bunch.

And my P and AP both came in to ask how I was doing and if I needed anything. :eek: :wub: They really complimented my room. I'm so glad since I worked hard on organizing it.

This year is so crazy different. I can't even believe this is the same profession haha.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2012

Yay! I am sincerely so happy for you. That's how all teachers should feel! :)