I adopted a cat this weekend...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 24, 2009

...and the next day she went into heat :lol:

She's so loud!! How long will this last? She's about 5 months, so this is her first cycle. She has an appointment to be spayed in about 3 weeks.

I still :love: her, though :)

3. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Feb 24, 2009

When we got our cat it was a few mos. before I got a chance to get her spayed...
    It was summer time though and I noticed her first cycle during the summer lasted longer, then there was once more in the colder weather...that one was a lot shorter. I'm thinking maybe a week?? (I'm obviously no expert) But my cat had this issue where when she was in heat she would pee on our bed! :eek:

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2009

The same thing happened to me - we thought she was much younger than she really was; she's just very petite! It won't last very long - about a week - but I know what you mean about loud!

What did you name her? Any pictures? I :love: kittehs!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2009

Awwww, I love kitties! We have a male cat so we never had to worry about that, but I remember when I was still living at home, we got a female kitten. After her first heat cycle, we had her spayed. There was no way we were going to listen to that!

6. KrazyKay

KrazyKay Rookie

Feb 24, 2009

Awww Kitties... I love cats. We have three, lol. Our female cat and one male were fixed before we got them. they were a year old when we got them. But our third cat is male and he has the loudest meow. I had a female cat growing up that we didn't get spayed until she had 5 litters. I don't remember her meows being all that loud. But this male black and white tabby kitten is loud enough I hear him from the other side of the house. I'm hoping after he is neutered that his meows quiet.

What did you name your kitten? Our kitten is named Thunder Cloud because of his meows, lol.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 24, 2009

Hooray for your new pet!

Now that I'm home during the day, I appreciate my bunny even more. It's amazing how wonderful of a companion they are, even when they eat everything in sight.

Good on luck on the heat issue. Bunny started marking our apartment last spring and it was unbearable.

8. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 24, 2009

My parents went through that with their older cat; her appointment was already set, but they still had to wait almost 2 weeks. My mom was going crazy! Fortunately, I was away at school and didn't have to deal with it. :p

YAY to you for adopting a kitty!! You must post pictures!!

9. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Feb 25, 2009

Oh congrats on being a 'mommy' !!! I had my little boy kitty neutered before any issues...

HOWEVER i missed my deadline with my little girl pup. What fun a heat is for a girl dog!

10. Mrs. C.H.

Mrs. C.H. Rookie

Feb 27, 2009

My cat stayed in heat about a week. It was so annoying! We got her spayed a week after that.

11. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2009

We have a share of a cat. A Ginger Tom that appeared in our garden (yard) 3 years back. He spends his time between at least 3 houses in our street. My neighbour took him to the local vet and it turns out he is chipped. His original owners live about a mile away but are not concerned and don't want him back so he continues to lead a nomadic life infront of our fires!