I actually heard it...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Feb 22, 2008.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2008

My dog ate my homework! :toofunny:

All right, not exactly. My kids have reading folders where they record what they read each night and they have to get a parent signature. Well, one of my lovely children didn't have theirs. She went on and told me that the dog grabbed it, kept pulling papers out and wouldn't give it back. Uh huh. And, miraculously, today (next day), it was completely in tact and I didn't see a single bite mark....

I never thought I'd actually hear that excuse!!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2008

That's funny! :lol: If she was going to make this excuse believable then she should have least made it look like a dog had taken a bite of the papers.

4. teachercat

teachercat Rookie

Feb 22, 2008

My students rarely give me excuses. They usually say they just didn't bother to do their homework.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Feb 22, 2008

Haha! ;)

Once, in 8th grade, the dog really did eat my homework! She jumped up onto the counter. I took the shreds into school the next day...

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 22, 2008

One year I did have a neighborhood dog pee on my stuff while I was waiting on the bus. I took what was still good to school. I told the story during class while we were grading each other's papers. One boy suddenly went "EEEEEWWWW" and dropped my paper like a hot potato. It hadn't occured to me someone would assume I brought it to school.

7. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Feb 22, 2008

I would forget about it if this is the first time you have had a problem with the girl and the folder is intact. Maybe she had never been in trouble before and just panicked.If it happens again then you will have to react.

8. carlea

carlea Comrade

Feb 22, 2008

I actually had to explain to my kids that while I was grading my dog grabbed some of their papers. Luckily he didn't eat any, but many of them had little rips and lots of bite marks!! This is a first for me; I've NEVER heard the teacher use that excuse!!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 22, 2008

I know of a teacher who found herself obliged to use that excuse on behalf of her daughter.

The daughter had made a model of the Kremlin using flour-and-water paste; she'd stayed up late doing it and it wasn't dry, so it was left on the kitchen table overnight. In the morning, they found it absolutely trashed, in ways that made it clear just which dog was the guilty party. The best guess is that the onion-dome shapes somehow looked like food. (To this dog, there wasn't much that DIDN'T look like food... but, still - !) There was nothing for it but for Mom to write a note to the teacher explaining just what had happened.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2008

Oh, this child has a different excuse every day of the week for something. I didn't even say anything about the story. She knows the consequence for not completing her homework: walk for recess. She was trying to get out of it. Come to think of it, I should have made a book of her excuses... This one, however, took the cake.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 22, 2008

I had one child tell me his little brother ate his homework, and he brought the remnants in. They had definitely been chowed on!

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 22, 2008

I had a student's father call my aide last year (I think it was around 9 at night) to tell her that the new dog had pooped on his son's homework. And asked if we could give a new paper for his son to do over.

13. Amers

Amers Cohort

Feb 22, 2008

I used the "dog ate my homework" excuse once in fifth grade, but my puppy really did eat my homework! I don't think my teacher believed me, and I offered to bring in the pieces, but she said no. Looking back, I still think it's pretty funny, even if my teacher at the time didn't. :)

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 22, 2008

Did your aide immediately call you? That's too funny not to share.:lol:

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 23, 2008

Yes we did. He was teased for the rest of the year. I so want to make him a tee-shirt with a piece of paper on it and dog poo. The t-shirt needs to be pink!

16. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Feb 23, 2008

Sorry, my fault,I misunderstood the use of your word lovely.One exercise I do with my class is I have them write excuses, real and imaginary, students might give for not having their homework.
    This is one time they really use their imagination. We then discuss why people make excuses and how it might affect them latter on in life.I then set the rule that nobody is excused from their homework without a written signed note from their parent or guardian.Yes, there were a few occasions I had to check it out. Some of the parents have more imagination than the children.We did make a booklet of homework excuses,and our rule still applies.It is a universal problem carried on by some children way into adulthood.

17. MrL

MrL Companion

Feb 23, 2008

I once told my Spanish teacher that my friend Dave ate my homework. But he only ate half on it. I help up the obvioously complete half paper with wet bite marks to her at her desk. At that point Dave walked by, grabbed it out of my hand, and swallowed it all.

She gave me the "A."

In Elementary school I tried to convince the teacher my homework was stolen by gypsies. They got a kick out of that.

18. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Feb 24, 2008

One of my preschoolers did not bring papers back to school, and when asked, she said that her brother ate them. When her dad came to pick her up, he confirmed that the boy really, actually did eat them! :eek:

19. maroki

maroki Comrade

Feb 24, 2008

I have one little boy who never returns his signed MYD slips, and his excuses alternate between "my little brother ate them" and "my little brother tore them up". I always tell him that he needs to bring in whatever part is left of the slips, regardless, but I have yet to see any torn or partially eaten slips appear. :rolleyes:

20. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 25, 2008

My cat ate my homework once when I was in Middle school....My parents made me do it all over again! :(