I actually got to teach today!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by HeatherY, May 31, 2012.

1. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

May 31, 2012

Wow! I've been working quite a bit, but everyone leaves me busywork! Today I taught a lesson twice and then supervised a work period for a history project- all in 6th grade. I've been seeing these kids fairly regularly, so they are starting to get my style and have more respect for me. And actually teaching a lesson was so nice! I remember why I'm a teacher! I'm tired from actually doing things instead of tired from sitting around all day! How refreshing!

3. Nitch

Nitch Rookie

May 31, 2012

Maybe that's why I am so board some days. It's just busy work.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 31, 2012

I never sit down while subbing. That is when hilarity ensues. Best to keep walking around the room if only to keep students on task.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 31, 2012

The best times I had subbing were when the teacher simply left me with the material and had faith in my ability to convey it. Brava!

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 31, 2012

Some subs view "independent" work as busywork, and I don't think that's fair. I always give work that I think my students can do on their own because I don't expect the sub to know my content. But just because my students are working on their own doesn't mean that the work is not meaningful or standards-based. I just wanted to add that because I see a lot of complaints here about "busywork" and I never know if the sub means actual busywork or if they mean independent work.

In any case, I'm glad that you had a chance to teach. A good teaching experience can trump almost anything else. :)

7. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

May 31, 2012

I'm glad you had such a nice subbing experience. Usually the teachers I sub for just have the students working independently on various projects. I love it when I'm allowed to actually teach a lesson.

8. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jun 2, 2012

I recognize that independent work might not be busy work. But the school I work at is very small and often the high school classes have only 2 or 3 students. I don't need to walk around and supervise all the time. I do if necessary, of course, but when you have good kids who do their work and don't need help...

"Easy days" are nice, but I do find it enjoyable to actually teach: getting to know the kids and monitoring and adjusting as necessary makes me feel useful.