I accidentally gave a parent my personal cell number

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 10, 2016

My daycare plan has fallen through, so I was calling a few daycare centers. I had internet-stalked one in particular and saw she was FB friends with a few teachers and moms at my school, so I called her up to inquire.

Then I learned 5 minutes ago her kid is in my class.:smile::blush:

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 10, 2016

Haha. Depending on the parent, this could be a good thing or a bad thing. Have you asked around your school for recommendations? I've known a few daycare providers who watch teachers' kids only, so that they get summers off too.

Backroads likes this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 10, 2016

My maternity sub who was also maternity sub for the kid's teacher last year says they're an awesome family.

I'm asking about the school. The daycare fell through just yesterday.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 10, 2016

Simply block her number on your cell phone. Nothing awkward and she will go through the same channels everyone else does.

Backroads likes this.
  6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 10, 2016

I wouldn't block unless you have decided you will not have a business relationship with this parent. It isn't like YOU would bother HER at odd hours. If anything, it could be mutually professional working with each other's children.

teacherpippi, otterpop and Backroads like this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 10, 2016

I wouldn't block it if she was providing daycare for me, but if she isn't, I would block it. If she ever gets you on it, even once, about her child in your class, well, I heard one of those conversations once before I taught. It was passed along to any parent who was "having trouble getting in touch" with you, and that is their perception, not often based in reality. I just saw it drive this one teacher to the point that she basically stopped using the cell phone. Thought she was safe the next year, only to have a sibling from the year before, and the calls started again. She changed her plan and changed her number.

Backroads likes this.
  8. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Aug 10, 2016

I would assume she probably won't use your number for school stuff as long as you are clear (with all parents) about how to contact you. If she does, I think you can politely tell her that you prefer not to use it for work and let her know how else to contact you. I don't think it's a big deal, but then I am someone who sometimes has given parents my cell phone info in the past. It's always been fine. I'm not doing it this year just because I'll have way more students so I'd rather keep things in a better system.

Backroads and heatherberm like this.
  9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2016

I work in a district that is close to many zip codes, but our school only allows us to call our own zip code. This means, that to make a parent phone call during the day, the hundreds of teachers in the building need to be connected by the 2-3 people in the office. Obviously, this doesn't work, so I must use my own phone. I've never had problems.

Backroads likes this.
  10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 10, 2016

Can't you have your calling from number simply show unknown or unlisted? Thought that I had received some like that.

And the answer is "yes, you can."
    http://smartphones.wonderhowto.com/...eeing-your-phone-number-when-you-call-364211/

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  11. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Aug 11, 2016

I'm really surprised how many people would block her before there's even a problem!

otterpop likes this.
  12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 11, 2016

I don't feel I need to block her. I was more amused I had inadvertantly breached my philosophy on the subject.

phillyteacher likes this.
  13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 11, 2016

Are you going to work with this particular day care provider? If anything, you'd be guaranteed mutual respect for work / school / home boundaries.

Backroads likes this.
  14. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 11, 2016

Me too!

I gave my cell phone number to some parents on a field trip once without thinking about. Only later that day did I think, hmm, wonder if that was the best choice. No one ever used it though! I think that most parents would be respectful about this. A few crazies would not. But then, I would hope that one of those people would not be running a reputable childcare business.

Backroads likes this.
  15. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 11, 2016

My first year I gave my cell number to all 3 of my classes. Hardly anyone called to check in with me.

Backroads likes this.
  16. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 11, 2016

I just happened to mention this thread to my admin, and you would have thought I said the school was on fire! "Oh, no - you can't ever do that!!!" Maybe it is NJ, but I thought that would be the reaction, based on another NJ school I worked at. We were supposed to keep our personal stuff personal - period.

Backroads likes this.
  17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 12, 2016

I would only block the number if it starts being a problem. My class phone died in the middle of a conversation with a parent one time so I quickly called him back on my cell phone to tell him what happened. Of course he tried to call my cell phone after that and I just ignored it. Some people do take advantage but I'd let it go for now.

18. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 12, 2016

She doesn't have room for my 9-month-old, so no working with her at this time. But I am free to send her lamination to cut out!

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 12, 2016

Now THAT sounds like a compromise! Maybe things will change next school year. You'll really know her well by then.

20. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 12, 2016

Wow! That may trump the daycare! I used to HATE cutting out the laminated things, especially the "lots of small pieces to a set" things. She does sound like a keeper as a resource. ;)

Backroads likes this.
  21. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2016

No, I can't block my number. Too many parents have phones set to refuse calls from blocked numbers.

22. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 23, 2016

I called a problematic parent once from my cell phone - because she was trying to cause issues and I just wanted to clear it up before the afternoon was over. We talked it out and she never called me again or gave my cell phone number out to another parent. No big deal. I wouldn't start blocking unless she became a frequent caller.

One of my coworkers lives in the same neighborhood as my school and she has parents literally coming over to her house to ask for another copy of the hw or ask her questions. I can't even imagine having to deal with that...

23. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 23, 2016

I mentioned this to my husband, and his thought was "so?" He grew up in a very, very small town where all three teachers at the school were simply part of the community. Everyone had each other's numbers.

BioAngel likes this.
  24. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 23, 2016

I often use my cell phone to contact parents, simply because it's easier to make a phone call from my desk where I have all my records should I need them, than to trek down to the nearest school phone. Our school phones show up as "Unlisted" or "Private Number" anyway, so it's not a problem when I block my number before making a phone call to a parent.

25. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 23, 2016

I give mine out all the time. You can usually tell the ones that will abuse it. Those I avoid. And I am not above warning other parents not to share my number. I also hand out business cards that have my email and the school phone number on them. That discourages parents from calling.