i accepted resource/co-teaching position...help!!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by leannwade, May 29, 2008.

1. leannwade

leannwade Rookie

May 29, 2008

this will be my second year teaching, and i just accepted a job at a new school as a resource teacher. they told me i will have 5 periods. i will probably be co-teaching in 2 classrooms and pulling out 3 times during the day. i was very comfortable in my previous job, but it was pre-k. i didn't know when i would have the opportunity to get "my feet in the door." does anyone have any suggestions for me? i am really nervous. all the other sped teachers have been doing it for at least ten years. please help me out.

3. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

May 29, 2008

Prepare as best you can for IEPs. I don't know how George operates, or your specific school. My first year is winding down and I am just now finally having everything fall into place, as far as knowing what I am doing, and how to file certain reports, and when things are due.

Ask if you can read through some IEPs. If your school uses a computer or online system, check that out. Ask when any major deadlines for paperwork are due (beyond the annual IEP date, or the triannual/biannual Reevaluation date). Figure out an organized filing system for student reports, IEPs, progress monitoring, or whatever else your district requires of special education teachers.

As for your classes, contact any co-teachers you may have to introduce yourself. I don't know what grade you will be working with, but you may want to reacquaint yourself with any material you may feel uncomfortable with (it's hard to coteach when you are uncertain). And, for your resource class, see what materials/resources are available. Some schools, I have heard, may not have a lot of extra resources for special education (crazy, isn't it?!).

Be sure to contact the director of special education or one of the veteran special education teachers to insure you will be on the right track once you start. I was overwhelmed with IEPs and such this year on top of figuring out curriculum, classroom management, co-teaching with different teachers, general school policies, etc. Try to get situated with your expectations first, and THEN worry about the actual teaching.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 29, 2008

Congrats on the new job!

5. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 4, 2008

This year I am an ICS (inclusion) teacher in 5th grade. I spend my time working with 2 different regular ed teachers and have a caseload of 9 students.
    I love being in ICS. I take whatever the regular ed teacher is doing and modify it to suit my student's needs. Most of the time I have to fly by the seat of my pants because getting esson plans is like pulling teeth. I just make sure I know what chapter we are working on and what date the tests are so that I can create study guides and modify the regular ed tests.

There is a good chance that I will be given a resource room this fall and am very excited about it. If you find anything that works well, please share!!