I <3 subbing!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Leaborb192, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2016

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 2, 2016

I think that principal did a walk through because he heard great things about you from other teachers :) Good things are coming to you!! keep up the great job.

PallasAthena, otterpop and Leaborb192 like this.
  4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2016

PallasAthena likes this.
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 3, 2016

I really liked subbing when I did it for a while. I was requested frequently by certain teachers and it was less stressful going to work. What was great for me was that I had another part time job in addition to subbing so if I needed a break from working in schools I would just work more hours at the other job. The flexibility was awesome.

Peregrin5 and Leaborb192 like this.
  6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 3, 2016

I loved subbing and often miss it. I referred to myself as a "gypsy educator" (my apologies to the Romani) although I tended to be placed in the same classrooms at each school due to teacher requests. There were often times the teacher would simply tell me to go on my gut instincts for lessons for the day and would only give suggestions. That kept me on my toes, but it also sharpened my lesson planning ability.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 3, 2016

My mom still works in the school district where I went to school and subbed. She told me that my favorite sub when I was a kid is still subbing!! She even asked about me :) She's an awesome lady and I remember her fondly.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 3, 2016

We used to have a guy at my old school who only subbed for years. When I asked if he would ever apply for a full-time job, he laughed hysterically and said, "Why would I ever do that!?" He got work every day in a high-needs district and didn't have any of the planning pressure/daily pressure of teaching. It's definitely something I've considered!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2016

Glad to hear about the positive experiences!! I miss subbing sometimes just because you get to build relationships with different staff and students and you have more flexibility. I know that this experience will pay off for you in the short term!

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2016

11. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 3, 2016

I am 4 days into my first subbing gig (in the UK we call it 'supply'). I love it In fact because of the lack of pressure I am enjoying going the extra mile fore the kids knowing that no-one is going to get on my back about what I am doing and if they do then I have the freedom to walk away. I am the oldest member of staff in the department and the most experienced I am working in and this is giving me the confidence to actually plough my own furrow. In fact this afternoon I was able to use a free period to assist the deputy Principle in a class because I had experienced the activity he was doing before whereas it was his first time!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2016

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 4, 2016

There was a teacher who subbed for years at my high school. They convinced her to take a full time teaching position but after a year she was miserable and went back to subbing!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  14. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Nov 4, 2016

Remember, it can be over in a split second. Some kid will complain you said the n-word or something and the district will drop you like a hot potato.

15. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2016

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 4, 2016

The very thought of subbing gives me great anxiety! I moved across the country by myself to get a job right out of school to avoid subbing instead (it's common in my hometown to "pay your dues" as a sub before being hired full time). I would just hate the uncertainty. I can't imagine going to bed not even knowing if you're going to work the next day and if you do end up being called, where/what type of job it will be. Then getting there and knowing nothing about the school's policies, trying to manage behavior having no relationship with the kid, possibly getting stuck with crappy plans, not knowing where everything in the school is, etc. I got roped into subbing at the school I student taught just a couple of times (in real emergency situations), and even being familiar with the school I still hated it. Since they were emergencies, the plans left never made sense and I got so sick of hearing, "But Mrs. regular teacher does..." I truly think subbing sounds a lot harder than "regular teaching" and I have great respect for those that can pull it off. Obviously it would be nice to not have to take work home, but the day to day seems WAY more stressful to me than just having a regular job.

MsAbeja likes this.
  17. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2016

18. Puppet Debris

Puppet Debris Rookie

Nov 5, 2016

Subbing is my retirement income. But I still have to get up in the morning and I can't eat all day long.

19. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2016

I plan to use subbing to supplement my pensions. The money will be used to fund the travelling that we plan to be doing.

20. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 6, 2016

I plan to sub next year when I'm going back to school, but also plan to have another job on the side. The flexibility does sound appealing, and I'm wondering how my experience as a teacher will play into it. I tend to be someone who likes to be prepared for the day, so I could foresee some issues with me not knowing what we're doing until a few minutes before class starts. I would probably be someone who carries around with me a file of activities in case the plans I get don't work out, are terrible, or are missing.

I've never formally subbed before. I've subbed for other teachers in my school, but in most cases I knew the students and we had relationships already either because they were in my class or I've seen them around the school.

21. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2016

22. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 6, 2016

I also didn't know you were male before this thread. I'm glad to see more male teachers appearing. (I thought you were a female teacher named 'Leah') lol.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  23. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2016

catnfiddle likes this.
  24. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2016

Before I left my last school I took in a 64Gb flash drive and downloaded all the resources I could find for as many subjects as possible. Already I have found them useful to suppliment those left for me or in one case to make up a lesson from scratch as there was nothing left for me when I got there.

25. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Nov 7, 2016

I have wished that you could record the classroom as there can be N-words and every other word and all kinds of trash talk coming from the students.

If I wanted to be Nitpicky , I could send at least 50 to 100 students to the office on some days because of their mouth alone.

A good example I was sitting with a crowd of people and we were at church and someone was being baptized and everyone was silent and a teenager setting behind me spewed out a profanity loud.

I think at least 50 people herd that and knew where it came from. Think about it the person getting baptized will remember that day the rest of their life and to have a teen spew out a loud profanity because they did not like having to sit in church a extra 20 minutes.

When I went to my vehicle I saw a male teenager sitting alone in the parking lot in the vehicle next to mine in a very obvious foul mood. (I think it was that teen)

My 2 cents is how someone talks is how they will talk even if they should not.

26. Puppet Debris

Puppet Debris Rookie

Nov 8, 2016

Today I got to sub and hopefully help a teacher. One student warned me before classes started. The kids behaved horrifically. I asked two students if it was this way every day and they replied yes. I have had many days like this, but I think this teacher had at least one problem I could help with.
    She had her desk pretty close to the middle of the room! She had kind of a podium pretty close to the center. To look to the students to the right, she would turn away from students to the left. I don't think that is called "having eyes in the back of your head!"
    I left her a note.
    I started out by saying I was sorry she had to put up with these kinds of kids. And I said it was sad because she has probably fallen in love with them. I continued in the note to suggest that she come up with a room arrangement so she can see the whole class at one time.

27. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Nov 8, 2016

The best seating arrangement in my opinion, is all the students chairs in rows facing away from the Teachers desk.

Puppet Debris likes this.
  28. Puppet Debris

Puppet Debris Rookie

Nov 8, 2016

In one class today, I had a kid that seemed to learn from politics. He kept asking me about politics, if I voted, etc. But he seemed very disrespectful. He actually seemed to be trying to laugh just like Hilary would laugh at Donald Trump. Everything I did, everything I said, he would smile and or laugh at. I didn't respond to that per se, but as soon as he made the tangible mistake of almost walking out of the room, I was able to stop him. When I stopped him, somehow he lost it, told me how bad I was, demanded answers to the point where several peers told him to shut up. That was fun.
    Btw, I voted for Gary Johnson - couldn't vote for Hilary or Donald for some reason.

Linguist92021 likes this.
  29. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Nov 10, 2016

I wish it counted as experience for your year....

30. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 11, 2016

I don't think that teacher appreciated your comment. First of all, don't believe everything the kids say. They may have acted horribly for you and they may be perfect little angels for their teachers. This happens all the time.
    If a sub left a note talking about my students that he's sorry I had to put up with those kinds, I'd be very mad. And to suggest she fell in love with the students? That's just dumb, sorry. And if a sub tried to give me unsolicited seating arrangement advice based on their one day experience, I'd be very annoyed. That sub would never be back in my class :)

31. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Nov 11, 2016

Everyone is different, that's why I don't tell the Teachers anything about the room arrangement , unless it is unsafe.

Example: A Teacher had paper piled on to of the heaters, even though those kind of heaters used hot water to heat, it really dries out paper. making for very dry paper that is more likely to catch fire especially hot dry paper.

So , I took all that paper off the top of those heaters and stacked it elsewhere.

Or last year in a shop class the overhead gas heater was stinky, so I told maintenance they needed to check that out.
    (I did not mention that one to the Teacher, just the maintenance department, the head maintenance person is my friend.)

32. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2016

33. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 25, 2016

I have just finished my 4th week at a school. I have committed to them until Christmas and they want me back in January. I don't want to go there in the New Year. However today may have sealed the future for me. I chucked a kid out of class today for telling me to F*** off. he denies he said it to my face, claiming he was talking to another student. I couldn't find the deputy head teacher at the end of the day so left her an email. On Monday one of two things will happen. Either they will support me and exclude the child or they will support the child. If the latter happens then I shall walk. Last week another subbing teacher (female) was called an F****** Bi**h by a student. The student got a wrist slap (3 days internal exclusion from her lessons), she walked today. Apparently I hold a record now for the longest time a sub has stayed in their school!

34. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Nov 25, 2016

The board is in front of the students desks - so they can see it.

The students see the Teacher when the Teacher walks around the class and stands in front of the class.

35. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Nov 26, 2016

36. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 28, 2016

Well no satisfaction with the incident on Friday so I left today. My subbing agency has found me 2 weeks work covering a Maths paternity leave for 2 weeks leading up to Christmas.
    Oh well, the 4 weeks I did at the school has paid for me and Mrs B to have a week in Boston at the end of March including flights, accommodation, spends and tickets to 3 Bruins' games!:)

37. new2teach15

new2teach15 Rookie

Nov 28, 2016

This would be great. It would also help first time teachers figure out where they feel the most comfortable. I have certainly learned that intermediate is not a good fit for me, and subbing would have helped me to learn that before landing a job in this area.

blazer likes this.