Hypothetical situation: potential mid-year leave and asking for advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 2, 2016

Ok, I've posted incessantly about this long commute (128 mile round-trip) that I have and how it's just wearing me out. Also, my new car is nearing 10,000 miles and I just got it in June!

I contacted my "union" rep and she said that all I just need to do is give 5-days notice to the superintendent, the board, and the P.

So let's just say that a teacher at a school near where I live (26 miles round-trip) retires in Dec. I apply, get interviewed, get an offer.... Let say I accept and I'm about to give my current P, the super, and the board 5 days notice... Would they react pretty negatively even if I tell them I found a job A LOT closer to home or would that be just seen as job abandonment? I would cut out 100 miles of driving each day!

In all honesty, I'm more tempted to forgo looking for anything, survive the year (the car will have over 25,000 miles) before its 1st birthday, and hope for summer openings.... BUT, I'm also wary that I could be non-renewed because I really wasn't his first choice. P offered it to me only after someone else said yes then said no. Thus, it's almost like choosing something that could help my health (short commute) but leave mid-year OR forget the leave even though a position could open up to help my career (stay and get one-full-year of HS experience). Any advice or anyone experience this situation?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 2, 2016

I really think you should do what is best for you now. Isn't that what a job is supposed to be? A workplace that allows you to fulfill yourself and do good work. Go for the replacement.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Nov 2, 2016

If you have another job to go to, I say go for it, especially if you imagine you'll stay at the next school for a while.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 2, 2016

My SiL did something similar. Her contract with the first school had provisions for it. She had to pay a contract cancellation fee, but there was no bad blood or negative references.

6. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Nov 2, 2016

I just put in the required 30-days notice at my current district to accept a job elsewhere. My grade level administrator was disappointed but understanding (it's a change in grade level and from gen ed to special, both things she knew I wanted), my principal was less happy and a little rude about it. But I don't really care. I'm currently in a position I don't love in an environment that's very hard to work in. If you have an option you like better that will make your life better in some way, take it and don't worry about it too much, especially if the second job is one you can imagine staying in for a while.

Backroads likes this.
  7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2016

If you get an interview and if you get hired, then I say go for it. No one can fault you for trying to find a job closer to home.

8. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Nov 2, 2016

30 day notice would be rough. I'd be worried about being in a hostile work environment after giving notice (not at my current school, just in general). I'm happy you found something better!

9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 2, 2016

Just to be clear, I tend to post these messages after a not-so-restful sleep!!! After 1.5 hours driving, I conclude that I hate the drive!! Once I wake up a little, my mindset changes... Thank goodness I'm working at a very supportive and laid back school!!

10. DeanaP

DeanaP New Member

Nov 2, 2016

I am thinking about leaving my current position now due to a similar problem. My commute isn't quite as bad as yours, but it's terrible. Unfortunately, I don't have a job to go to, so I may be stuck. Good luck to you, and do what is best for you. I am currently thinking of my job as an abusive relationship. Even though the kids will defiantly be hurt to see you leave, in the end, when mama ain't happy, nobody is happy.

11. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Nov 2, 2016

It's amazing the clarity that can come from a bit of extra time. :) Still, though,that's a crazy long drive. Are you listening to some good audio books or podcasts at least?

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2016

Do what is best for you.

13. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 3, 2016

I listen to iHeart80s and don't mind the repetitiveness of the songs.

And yes, this is a crazy long drive. I didn't realize how strenuous just driving can be. But, the silver lining is that every day I continue working is adding to my experience. I'm thankful and gracious that a high school gave me a chance. Doesn't it take teachers years and years to land at the HS level when the only experience beforehand was MS? I still say my opinions would be to "get the heck outta Dodge" if admin were non-supportive and the teachers left me to fend for myself. For instance, a friend of mine chose to commute 60+ miles into an urban community where she would teach and chairs would be thrown at her. Where she would send them to the P, the P would laugh at the students and send them back. I am not in a situation where every other word is "blank you." I've watched enough YouTube videos to see how fortunate I am to be where I am. Here, a student cursed at me and refused to be relocated. I wrote her up and she received 2 days suspension. The P has our backs. The working environment is good and supportive. The community may be money poor but it rallies around the school. It's just that the drive is very long....

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 3, 2016

Wow. That's a long commute. I don't think I've ever driven more than 7-8 miles for a job!

15. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Nov 3, 2016

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    creativemonster likes this.
  16. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Nov 3, 2016

Nothing happens quickly in our district so I can understand wanting/needing time to find a good replacement, but you're right that with the wrong people, it could be a tough 30 days. My principal isn't being very pleasant but fortunately our building is set up so that I deal with my grade level administrator more than her so I can mostly avoid her. My co-workers are all great, or at least pretending to be. :)

otterpop likes this.
  17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 24, 2016

Have you decided what you're going to do?

18. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 24, 2016

Nothing's been posted for any mid-year opening. And even if I do see one, I would be hesitant to apply. Something is telling me to stick it out the full year.

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 24, 2016

Going with your gut is always a good choice. You've said you have a good P and coworkers and if you also have a supportive community, then that helps make up for the strain of the commute.

20. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 26, 2016

Let me also add that I am still learning how to deal with, handle, and teach high school students. I'm taking this 1st year in the HS environment to figure out if this is the age group that fits me or not. Granted, I can handle the upper-level kids but the lower ones aggravate me. I really enjoyed the nurturing aspect of middle schoolers. Then I realized that high schools are children, too! And their life problems are just as heart-breaking. I've had a male student tell me his mother wished he'd never been born. Another male student said his dad is in prison for drugs. A female said her mother was recently arrested for drugs. Another one told me how she had been raped. One said I was like a 2nd dad to her. All in all, I was there to listen to all of them. Sometimes being a teacher is not about the content. It's about the stability and adult presence in their lives.

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 26, 2016

Would it be possible to move closer to your current job for next year?

Or, you could always let the other district know you are interested if something comes up. We have subbed out mid year positions then hired at the end of the year.

22. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 26, 2016

I think the odds are very good that your P will accept your move. You are doing the right thing to work with your union and find out how much ahead of time your P needs to know before you leave. Never hurts to give a bit of extra warning to P if possible.

I would pursue it, and worse case scenario if your P goes ballistic because you land another job, you can then back out and tell the new P, you can't accept as your P won't let you go. This is highly unlikely as I have known many teachers who have switched or tried to switch mid-year. Only once have I ever heard of a P saying no..and that wasn't mid-year, it was in the middle of an academic quarter. You don't have to tell P until you find a job, but make sure you tell P before you sign a new contract.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  23. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 26, 2016

I had a hard time with freshmen the first 2 years. they were the death of me. Their immaturity was too hard for me to handle. It wasn't until last year, my 3rd year here, that everything smoothed out, for the first time I had a freshman only class and they were the best out of all of them. Needless to say, by March the class dynamics changed so much, that I had another class that became mostly freshmen (with older kids mixed in) and they were horrible. I think it was the mixture of the kids, and just a few knuckleheads trying to run the show.
    This year I have 2 classes, 90 % freshmen, and they're great, no problems. I'm no longer afraid :)

I think you need to stick it out, highschool is new for you, it's the same as if you were new to teaching, you wouldn't quit after your first year. Give it some time.l

24. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 27, 2016

When the P offered me the position, he mentioned that one of his concerns was my very long commute. He then said he would support me for the year. Knowing this, I don't think he'll be surprised if I did find a new position and took it. Especially if it's closer to home. I also wouldn't be surprised if I am non-renewed at the end since I was his fallback option and the one he really wanted changed her mind after saying yes.

25. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 27, 2016

Yikes! Since the school year began, has he ever given the impression that he's not happy with your performance?

26. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 27, 2016

No. Not at all. He's complimented my hard work. One hiccup with the cell phone taken from my desk and that's about it.

otterpop likes this.
  27. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Nov 27, 2016

How do you interpret him saying "he would support you for the year."? That strikes me as rather odd phrasing.

28. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 27, 2016

I interpret it as one year and done. As I said, I wasn't his 1st choice so that could be a factor. So I'm just gonna make it the best I can. Learn what I can. Gain experience and let the chips fall where they may.